Richard Clements

Default watco danish oil fruitwood on maple

Watco Danish oil fruitwood, according to there website maple tends to
blotch, I've never done a Danish oil finish before, is there an easy way to
keep this from happinging? I'm looking for a dark even reddish finish
should I use a sanding sealer like DEFT Lacquer sanding sealer? Most stuff
I've done used Minwax stain and poly or watco wax, would I be better off
using stain and then lacquer?

anythoughts

toller

Why are you using maple if you want it dark red?

RonB

Maple will tend to blotch, even hard maple. I am working a small project
right now that has some maple. I treated with MinWax pre-stain conditioner
and still got a little bit of unevenness in a spot. I recommend a thorough
treatment with a pre-stain conditioner or mineral spirits before staining.

Curious - what are you building from maple that is going to be that dark
(even more critical for blotching)? Could you get by with Birch at less
cost - but probably more blotching?