Posted to alt.home.repair
Roemax Roemax is offline

Default Protecting my deck this winter

not a bad idea to clean snow from deck.
snow can be very heavy , many decks collapse every year here in Maine each
winter
"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 13, 9:36 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"someDude37" wrote in message

I'd like to protect the wood this winter. Would putting a tarp over
it be reasonable? I read that this may not be a good idea, as it
would cause rot from lack of ventilation. So what's worse - bare wood
with snow sitting on it, or bare wood with a tarp covering the top of
it? Obviously air would still be able to travel to some extent thru
the bottom of the deck.

If it is PT wood, the snow won't bother it. The peeling is probably from
being baked in the sun or poor prep. I'd just let it go until next
spring.

I agree, sounds like someone put a poor stain/ paint on, which causes
peeling. It will be OK for this winter, the snow and rain will not
damage it. Wait till next year.