Posted to alt.home.repair
Griffo

Default protecting Danish Oil

I am renovating an old wooden floor and want to use danish oil to bring
out the colour of the wood. Is there anything I can use to protect it?
If not, is there an alternative?

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Hines

"Griffo" wrote:

I am renovating an old wooden floor and want to use danish oil to bring
out the colour of the wood. Is there anything I can use to protect it?

Danish oil is oil and dye with some varnish in it. Polyurethane
varnish is the standard on wood floors these days, and since it darkens
the wood a bit, you may not need Danish oil at first coat, depending on
the colors.

My red oak floor got a double coat of polyurethane after its sanding.
Nothing else was needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Griffo wrote:
I am renovating an old wooden floor and want to use danish oil to bring
out the colour of the wood. Is there anything I can use to protect
it? If not, is there an alternative?

I would suggest that not doing any "protection" of it would be the best
thing you can do. One of the characteristics of it is that it can be easily
repaired or renewed. You just use more of it. You can do spots or the
whole thing. It blends nicely. If you were to cover it with something else
I believe you would loose that ability.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Griffo

Thanks John. Would polyurethane varnish adhere to wood treated with
Danish Oil? I had assumed it would not.

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

I've heard of using danish oil followed by a layer of a caranuba type
wax, which held up well and looked great. Not sure how much you are
gaining over polyurethane, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Hines

"Griffo" wrote:

Thanks John. Would polyurethane varnish adhere to wood treated with
Danish Oil? I had assumed it would not.

http://www.generalfinishes.com/finis...es/oilbase.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

"Griffo" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am renovating an old wooden floor and want to use danish oil to bring
out the colour of the wood. Is there anything I can use to protect it?
If not, is there an alternative?

Oil over oil is fine. Use an oil based floor varish or oil based
polyurathane.

Before you go to the time and expense of danish oil try just oil poly alone
first. You may be surprised that there is little or no difference. Of course
try this on a scrap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 9 Mar 2006 10:18:52 -0800, "marson" wrote:

I've heard of using danish oil followed by a layer of a caranuba type
wax, which held up well and looked great. Not sure how much you are
gaining over polyurethane, though.

I notice that polyurethane disappeared from the part of my floor that
I walked on a lot.

I don't know what finishes earlier hard wood fllors had, that were
also walked on a lot, but I never noticed wear on them. Never noticed
that the finish was worn out in some places and fine in others.

Protecting Danish Oil Griffo UK diy 6 March 10th 06 11:08 AM
Danish oil and stain? CathyLee Woodworking 9 June 11th 05 06:54 PM
Danish Oil problem Tim Douglass Woodworking 9 February 10th 05 12:39 PM
Help with Watco Black Walnut Danish Oil SawDust Woodworking 10 January 2nd 05 02:54 AM
watco danish oil fruitwood on maple Richard Clements Woodworking 3 December 15th 04 12:11 AM