Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Seal prefinished wood floor?

Hi,

Just installed a bamboo floor with a satin finish. I would think going over
the entire floor with some sort of sealer would be benificial in filling the
seams and adding some extra protection from scratches. No advice in
manufactures instructions one way or the other. Looking for
advice/expreiences... a liquid floor wax product ?, polyurathane - oil
based? water based?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 10:43 am, "Jeff" wrote:
Hi,

Just installed a bamboo floor with a satin finish. I would think going over
the entire floor with some sort of sealer would be benificial in filling the
seams and adding some extra protection from scratches. No advice in
manufactures instructions one way or the other. Looking for
advice/expreiences... a liquid floor wax product ?, polyurathane - oil
based? water based?

You need to find out whats on it now, any wax will affect bonding. I
realy dought you need anything but to put on a Poly would require
sanding the floor for anything to adhere. I know someone that put poly
on a parquet floor and it peeled, probebly from a wax in the original
finish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi,

Just installed a bamboo floor with a satin finish. I would think going
over the entire floor with some sort of sealer would be benificial in
filling the seams and adding some extra protection from scratches. No
advice in manufactures instructions one way or the other. Looking for
advice/expreiences... a liquid floor wax product ?, polyurathane - oil
based? water based?

Maybe a mistake. I would think any finish you put on it will not be as good
as what is already on the bamboo and could possibly screw it up and void any
warrantee.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff wrote:
Hi,

Just installed a bamboo floor with a satin finish. I would think
going over the entire floor with some sort of sealer would be
benificial in filling the seams and adding some extra protection
from scratches.

It's already finished. The finish seals. No finish would fill the
seams and it would crack.

No advice in manufactures instructions one way or
the other. Looking for advice/expreiences... a liquid floor wax
product ?, polyurathane - oil based? water based?

It's already finished. Leave it alone. If you just *gotta* screw
with it then a LIGHT coat of a good paste wax well buffed out will add
some shine. Won't do squat for protection.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Oct 2007 15:43:39 GMT, Jeff wrote:

Hi,

Just installed a bamboo floor with a satin finish. I would think going over
the entire floor with some sort of sealer would be benificial in filling the
seams and adding some extra protection from scratches. No advice in
manufactures instructions one way or the other. Looking for
advice/expreiences... a liquid floor wax product ?, polyurathane - oil
based? water based?

I installed a bamboo floor from Ikea that had a poor finish, so I sanded it
lightly and applied two coats of Minwax Polyurethane For Floors,
semi-gloss.

It turned out fine, a big improvement. I did a sample board first to test
compatibility.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 11, 1:17 pm, "Jeff" wrote:
Thanks! very useful. May I ask how long ago you did the floors?

You get four "don't do it!" answers and one "I did it because my
finish sucked." and you're interested in the my finish sucked reply.
Does your finish suck? Or is it more along the lines of, well I'd
like to help the finish along some to keep it looking good? If it's
the first, you shouldn't have put down the flooring in the first
place. If it's the second, be aware that a lot of the factory
finishes have aluminum oxide in them and they're baked on which makes
it far more durable. You won't be able to replicate that. If you
don't know what finish is on the bamboo, and your finish doesn't suck,
you shouldn't be thinking that you're going to "improve" it.

There's a reason that there's no mention of a sealer in the
manufacturer's literature. Same reason they didn't mention how to
remove the flooring. It's unnecessary information. Contact the
manufacturer and get tech support to weigh in on your plans. Don't
consider it to be your plans were shot down, consider it to be that
you now have some free time to spend on another project that actually
needs it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11 Oct 2007 17:17:57 GMT, Jeff wrote:

"Kuskokwim" wrote in message

I installed a bamboo floor from Ikea that had a poor finish, so I sanded
it
lightly and applied two coats of Minwax Polyurethane For Floors,
semi-gloss.

It turned out fine, a big improvement. I did a sample board first to test
compatibility.

Thanks! very useful. May I ask how long ago you did the floors?

November of last year.

If your floor scratches easily you should probably do it right now. If it
has a durable finish I would wait and see what happens.

If you do it, use oil base, not latex. Oil base has better adhesion and
probably wears better.

Don't wax it if you think you might eventually apply a coat of urethane
because you might have adhesion problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Jeff, Oliver wrote:
Untimely for one project though may be good for reference to others: I
installed prefinished 3/4 oak wood floor in kitchen. The cabinet install
required cutting baseboard heating line on the cabinets. When I saw such a
small amount of water (about a full drinking glass) starting to cup the boards
I had just installed, I was convinced to do something. I chose a paint
roller, tray, and oil-based polyurethane. Three coats was what it took so
that all tiny seems accepted and were filled to keep water from running
through like a sieve and it was layed tight. The sacrifice is the clear as
glass beautiful factory finish. The floor could begin to look comparatively
plasticized. Also, pressure gouges will emphasize that there is too much
polyurethane leaving snail trails. However, I still reason living on a
prefinished kitchen wood floor with accidents could lead to unevenness and
dirt not allowing the return to normal by allowing it to dry, and that is just
with water. Soda, coffee, syrups, could all be horrible attractants for dirt
and insects as well. If your wood floor is installed over an actual vapor
barrier and not just rosin paper, the spilled liquid may run under the boards
much further than the spill area with and against both grain and pitch if your
floors are flat though uneven. I do not recommend purposely spilling water to
check it out, it could add a couple weeks to get best dried results (and it
wint Be perfect). Paste wax, danish oil or linseed wont do it and
neither will other fillers. Test behind the refrigerator. My instance was
for an apartment. Again, the floors could further be skillfully sanded in the
future and the floor will be in great shape.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...or-257017-.htm