Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default masking tape ruins Bruce prefinished floor

I have Bruce prefinished flooring. I am having the ceiling painted.
Painter was very careful covering floor using paper taped together. Most
tape was taped to paper but at some points the blue masking tape was
attached to hardwood floor. In 2 places, even though tape was only attached
for a few hours and the house was about 75 degrees temperature, the sun must
have been hitting the tape thru the window for hours and the adhesive
reacted with the floor and ruined the finish. I was wondering if anyone had
run into this before. Floor is about 10 years old and althought I was
hoping to go a few more years before refinishing it now I guess I will have
to get it done now unless a reasonable spot finish can be done. Damaged
areas are about 1 foot long by 2 inches wide. I am planning on contacting
the tape manufacterur and bitching though I am sure that is a waste of time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Don't know if they still do, what with the modern Urethane finishes, but
back in the stone age Bruce dealer had repair kits for stuff like that.
Mainly intended for moving-day scratches. It won't be perfect- a field
repair never is- but it may be 'good enough' to tide you over till rest of
floor needs refinishing.

(GoogleGoogleGoogle)

See their web site at
http://www.bruce.com/resflram/na/bru.../hardwood.html . They do mention
'repair kit' in one spot, but don't give details. A real flooring dealer
(not a big box) can likely tell you more.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art wrote:
[...]

Didn't the painter acknowledge his responsibility and arrange to rectify
the problem?

Seems to me that if the floor was in reasonable condition before he did
hid work, and he didn't warn you that something like that might happen
then I it's his his responsibility to make things right.

Shouldn't he be the one contacting the tape company, not you?

Or am I just being naive again?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
. ..
Art wrote:
[...]

I suppose except for the fact that he was using a product as designed and
was not negligent in any way from what I can see. If I was on a jury and
this was a lawsuit I would vote not guilty. There were many other places on
the floor where there was no damage from the tape. It was a fresh roll of
tape.... I saw him open it up. So either it was some magical way that the
sun was hitting the tape (indeed it was hitting the tape thru the window at
those spots but it was hitting other spots too with no damage caused) or
there was something wrong with the tape.... or there was something wrong
with the 10 year old floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I'd politely contact the tape manufacturer and the flooring company and ask
them about the situation. (Whats' the warranty on your floor, BTW?)

If either company ignores you, then send a registered letter.

Technically, *IF* the tape was defective, the painter is responsible for the
damage. It might not have happened if had used brand Y instead of brand X
tape. You didn't tell him what tape to use. etc... He would be the one going
after the tape company for restitution. Of course, the floor could have been
defective, meaning the homeowner goes after the flooring company.

Personally I doubt the tape could have caused soooo much damage that it
isn't satisfactorily repairable, but I'm not there to judge.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

"Abe" wrote in message
[...]

What nobody else has asked is what is wrong with the finish now? Have
you tried to clean and buff it out?

The polyurethane and color layer kind of crinkled from the tape. First I
thought it was residue from the tape but I wiped it with the floor cleaner
made by Bruce for the floor and the thin layer of the floor pretty much came
off 2 inches wide by 12 inches long. This is Bruces prefinished solid Oak
floors with gunstock stain. It appears that the stain doesn't soak into the
wood as it does when floors are finished on site. It appears to be a thin
layer under the polyurethane.

Masking tape on new paint Dave UK diy 7 July 17th 07 06:11 PM
longer lasting masking tape? peter Home Repair 6 December 20th 06 05:36 PM
Masking Tape Removal? Mat Home Repair 3 September 30th 05 09:28 AM
Remove masking tape from window Peter Home Repair 9 August 18th 05 04:58 PM
Masking tape and silicone PhilÅ UK diy 14 January 20th 05 09:25 AM