Mat

Default Masking Tape Removal?

How do I get the sticky off paint that is left behind from old masking tape.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Doug Kanter

Supermarkets carry a product called Goo-Gone. Works nicely, based on some
sort of oil, probably citrus if the smell is any indication. On non-porous
surfaces like glass & car bumpers, I've used vegetable oil to remove bumper
stickers, but I'm not sure if that might affect paint adversely.

"Mat" wrote in message
How do I get the sticky off paint that is left behind from old masking
tape.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Richard J Kinch

Doug Kanter writes:

Supermarkets carry a product called Goo-Gone. Works nicely, based on
some sort of oil, probably citrus if the smell is any indication.

Goo-Gone is just overpriced naphtha, with a little citrus perfume, to make
you *think* it is citrus oil. Mineral spirits, lighter fluid, Coleman
fuel, etc., are cheaper versions of the same, minus the perfume.
~^Johnny^~

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:45:54 GMT, "Mat" wrote:

How do I get the sticky off paint that is left behind from old masking tape.
Thanks in advance for any help.

How old?

If you don't care about the finish, gasoline or lighter fuel works
just fine. :-)

Other than that:

If freshly painted, I would leave it alone for at least 30 days, if
oil based. If water based, I would wait at least 7 days.

THEN, use 99% isopropyl alcohol (available from your pharmacist).
You can also use a light swabbing of denatured alcohol (ethanol).
On really old painted surfaces, WD-40 will work faster (but use with
caution on newer surfaces).

Be careful with naptha (Ronson lighter fluid), or gasoline, or
thinner, on ANY painted surfaces. Paint is quite sensitive to
petroleum distillates. It can dull the finish. Not recommended for
glossy surfaces.

Never use acetone, MEK, turpentine, thinner (mineral spirits), etc.
because these will instantly attack and/or remove the paint.

On car finishes, I would use only isopropyl alcohol or buffing
compound.

YMMV.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

~~~~~~~~
Always listen to experts. They will explain what
can't be done and why. Then do it. - Robert Heinlein
~~~~~~~~