Old January 18th 05, 04:21 PM
PhilÅ

Default Masking tape and silicone

Have marked around the area I am siliconing with masking tape..

How long after siliconing up should I wait until I remove the tape??

Cheers

Old January 18th 05, 04:46 PM
chris French

In message , PhilÅ
writes
Have marked around the area I am siliconing with masking tape..

How long after siliconing up should I wait until I remove the tape??

I'd remove it straight away.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old January 18th 05, 05:01 PM
Mathew J. Newton

Phil=C5 wrote:
Have marked around the area I am siliconing with masking tape..

How long after siliconing up should I wait until I remove the tape??

Cheers

I do it straight away; the tape takes away the excess leaving behind a
nice neat edge.

If left to cure the silicone is likely to remain 'as one' thus negating
the purpose of you using the tape for a straight edge. Indeed if the
silicone hasn't firmly attached itself to the tape then it'll likely
leave a flappy edge at best.

Mathew

Old January 18th 05, 05:06 PM
Tim Mitchell

In article , PhilÅ
writes
Have marked around the area I am siliconing with masking tape..

How long after siliconing up should I wait until I remove the tape??

No time at all. Whip it off as soon as you have smoothed it out with
your finger or whatever.
--
Tim Mitchell
Old January 18th 05, 08:06 PM
Ian White

PhilÅ wrote:
Have marked around the area I am siliconing with masking tape..

How long after siliconing up should I wait until I remove the tape??

Sorry, this should have been part of the FAQ text (the one that begins
with soaking your finger in 50% washing-up liquid).

Smooth the silicone right down to the edge of the masking tape. Where
the edge of the silicone bead meets the edge of the tape, the silicone
should be no thicker than the tape itself.

Then peel off the tape immediately, pulling it away from the silicone.
That leaves a nice feather edge on the bead.

If there is any sign of lifting, just run your finger VERY LIGHTLY along
the edge of the bead to put it back.

--
Ian White
Abingdon, England

Old January 18th 05, 10:34 PM
Simon Stroud

"Ian White" wrote in message
PhilÅ wrote:
Have marked around the area I am siliconing with masking tape..

How long after siliconing up should I wait until I remove the tape??

Sorry, this should have been part of the FAQ text (the one that begins
with soaking your finger in 50% washing-up liquid).

Smooth the silicone right down to the edge of the masking tape. Where
the edge of the silicone bead meets the edge of the tape, the silicone
should be no thicker than the tape itself.

Then peel off the tape immediately, pulling it away from the silicone.
That leaves a nice feather edge on the bead.

If there is any sign of lifting, just run your finger VERY LIGHTLY along
the edge of the bead to put it back.

--
Ian White
Abingdon, England

I've found that during this final finger-wiping stage (after removing the
tape as quickly as possible after squirting and smoothing the silicone), a
good wetting (plus a dash of fairy liquid) of the finger makes all the
difference.

Good luck!

Simon.

Old January 18th 05, 11:46 PM
Ian Stirling

Simon Stroud wrote:

"Ian White" wrote in message
Phil? wrote:
Have marked around the area I am siliconing with masking tape..

How long after siliconing up should I wait until I remove the tape??

Sorry, this should have been part of the FAQ text (the one that begins
with soaking your finger in 50% washing-up liquid).

Smooth the silicone right down to the edge of the masking tape. Where
the edge of the silicone bead meets the edge of the tape, the silicone
should be no thicker than the tape itself.

Then peel off the tape immediately, pulling it away from the silicone.
That leaves a nice feather edge on the bead.

If there is any sign of lifting, just run your finger VERY LIGHTLY along
the edge of the bead to put it back.

snip
I've found that during this final finger-wiping stage (after removing the
tape as quickly as possible after squirting and smoothing the silicone), a
good wetting (plus a dash of fairy liquid) of the finger makes all the
difference.

The tongue works well too, much better than a finger.
(I tried it on food-safe silicone).
Getting into tight corners may be a problem, though may be valuable practice.

Old January 19th 05, 07:52 AM
Ian White

Ian Stirling wrote:
Simon Stroud wrote:

"Ian White" wrote in message

Sorry, this should have been part of the FAQ text (the one that begins
with soaking your finger in 50% washing-up liquid).

[...]
If there is any sign of lifting, just run your finger VERY LIGHTLY along
the edge of the bead to put it back.

I've found that during this final finger-wiping stage (after removing the
tape as quickly as possible after squirting and smoothing the silicone), a
good wetting (plus a dash of fairy liquid) of the finger makes all the
difference.

Just to be clear: remove the tape soon, but pull it off slowly and
gently.

The tongue works well too, much better than a finger.
(I tried it on food-safe silicone).
Getting into tight corners may be a problem, though may be valuable practice.

With 50% washing-up liquid? I won't do *that*.

--
Ian White
Abingdon, England
Old January 19th 05, 10:43 AM

The tongue works well too, much better than a finger.
(I tried it on food-safe silicone).
Getting into tight corners may be a problem, though may be valuable

practice.

Lol. Was it food safe while it was still uncured though?

NT