~^Johnny^~

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:45:54 GMT, "Mat" wrote:

How do I get the sticky off paint that is left behind from old masking tape.
Thanks in advance for any help.

How old?

If you don't care about the finish, gasoline or lighter fuel works
just fine. :-)

Other than that:

If freshly painted, I would leave it alone for at least 30 days, if
oil based. If water based, I would wait at least 7 days.

THEN, use 99% isopropyl alcohol (available from your pharmacist).
You can also use a light swabbing of denatured alcohol (ethanol).
On really old painted surfaces, WD-40 will work faster (but use with
caution on newer surfaces).

Be careful with naptha (Ronson lighter fluid), or gasoline, or
thinner, on ANY painted surfaces. Paint is quite sensitive to
petroleum distillates. It can dull the finish. Not recommended for
glossy surfaces.

Never use acetone, MEK, turpentine, thinner (mineral spirits), etc.
because these will instantly attack and/or remove the paint.

On car finishes, I would use only isopropyl alcohol or buffing
compound.

YMMV.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

~~~~~~~~
Always listen to experts. They will explain what
can't be done and why. Then do it. - Robert Heinlein
~~~~~~~~