Posted to alt.home.repair
Stupid48

Default Repair scratch in prefinished wood floor

I have a scratch in my wood floor (bamboo) I would like to try and fix.
I just want to try and make it less noticeable. It seems to be just
through the eurethane and not into the wood. It's basically a white
line. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks....Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Stupid48" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a scratch in my wood floor (bamboo) I would like to try and fix.
I just want to try and make it less noticeable. It seems to be just
through the eurethane and not into the wood. It's basically a white
line. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Get a stain that is close to the flooring and just wipe it in the scratch.
There are some stain sticks for touchups that may do the trick too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Stupid48" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have a scratch in my wood floor (bamboo) I would like to try and fix.
I just want to try and make it less noticeable. It seems to be just
through the eurethane and not into the wood. It's basically a white
line. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Get a stain that is close to the flooring and just wipe it in the scratch.
There are some stain sticks for touchups that may do the trick too.

I saw a home show recently that demonstrated using kid's crayon for
patching scratches. Would probably work fine - get the big box so's you
get a better color match. Polish with soft cloth. )
Posted to alt.home.repair
Tomes

"Norminn" wrote in message
ink.net...
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Stupid48" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have a scratch in my wood floor (bamboo) I would like to try and fix.
I just want to try and make it less noticeable. It seems to be just
through the eurethane and not into the wood. It's basically a white
line. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Get a stain that is close to the flooring and just wipe it in the
scratch. There are some stain sticks for touchups that may do the trick
too.

I saw a home show recently that demonstrated using kid's crayon for
patching scratches. Would probably work fine - get the big box so's you
get a better color match. Polish with soft cloth. )

I have used shoe polish with 'good enough for that spot' results.
Tomes

Posted to alt.home.repair

someday all those prefinished floors are going to be a big expense,
things are bound to occur

Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

"Stupid48" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a scratch in my wood floor (bamboo) I would like to try and fix.
I just want to try and make it less noticeable. It seems to be just
through the eurethane and not into the wood. It's basically a white
line. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks....Chris

if it's only through the urethane, then you may be able to just buff it out.
that works on scratches on car finishes that are only through the clearcoat.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:34:36 -0700, "Charles Spitzer"
wrote:

"Stupid48" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a scratch in my wood floor (bamboo) I would like to try and fix.
I just want to try and make it less noticeable. It seems to be just
through the eurethane and not into the wood. It's basically a white
line. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks....Chris

if it's only through the urethane, then you may be able to just buff it out.
that works on scratches on car finishes that are only through the clearcoat.

If it's finished with polyurethane, the scratches go away without
doing anything.

Others would know more, but I think polyurethan is much different from
auto clear coat. Polyurethane seems to remain a very very very
viscous liquid, whereas clear coat is I think hard.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
someday all those prefinished floors are going to be a big expense,
things are bound to occur

But why would they be any worse than a standard wood floor? They can be
sanded and refinished using the newer orbital sanders but I don't see my
floors needing that for 15 years and then I won't care.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stupid48

It's hard to believe that I can't fix this even a bit. I did some
testing on some spare wood I have. It really seems that the scratches
are so shallow that the stain sticks and urethane with a little paint
brush do not even make a different. I know that because if I make a
slightly deeper scratch, both methods seem to have some effect. So, my
scratches are pretty much on the surface. I can't believe that I can't
get these out by buffing or something.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Stupid48 wrote:

It's hard to believe that I can't fix this even a bit. I did some
testing on some spare wood I have. It really seems that the scratches
are so shallow that the stain sticks and urethane with a little paint
brush do not even make a different. I know that because if I make a
slightly deeper scratch, both methods seem to have some effect. So, my
scratches are pretty much on the surface. I can't believe that I can't
get these out by buffing or something.

Might work just to wax them.