Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Antenna Rotor expert needed

My TV antenna is (or I should say was) controlled by an Alliance U110
antenna rotor. My wonderful brother knocked the control head off of its
shelf and all the wires to the motor came off.

The terminals are labeled 1,2,3,4 and the wires are red, green, white,
black, hence the problem. WHich wire goes to which terminal.

here is a link to the instruction manual with schematic.
IS there any way using an
ohmmeter to identify at least one wire? Is it safe to try all 24 different
combinations without blowing something up?

The wires on the motor end are not visible from the ground (its 40 ft up)
and its not feasable to pull the antenna down without 30 people to help.
(Did I say Pizza party?)

Theres a lesson here....record wire information and put it in a safe
spot....no thats not it...Dont let let your freakin brother near your
stuff!!! yeah...thats it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"jmagerl" wrote:

[...]

I'm confused. You don't know how to hook it up, but you post a link to
the directions that tell you how to hook it up? What do you want us to
do? Read the directions and then paraphrase them for you? What don't you
understand?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jmagerl" wrote in message
My TV antenna is (or I should say was) controlled by an Alliance U110
antenna rotor. My wonderful brother knocked the control head off of its
shelf and all the wires to the motor came off.

The terminals are labeled 1,2,3,4 and the wires are red, green, white,
black, hence the problem. WHich wire goes to which terminal.

here is a link to the instruction manual with schematic.
IS there any way using an
ohmmeter to identify at least one wire? Is it safe to try all 24 different
combinations without blowing something up?

The wires on the motor end are not visible from the ground (its 40 ft up)
and its not feasable to pull the antenna down without 30 people to help.
(Did I say Pizza party?)

If you use an ohmmeter , one wire will probably show open depending on where
the rotator is. That will be your number 4 wire. Then you can try the
other wires on the first 3 terminals. It will be ok to hook them up and
plug in to the wall and try to turn it for a few seconds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Oren wrote:

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 14:33:28 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"jmagerl" wrote:

[...]

What is really inside the 2+meg zip file?

A four page pdf for the unit, with clear illustrations and clearly
worded text, about how to install and wire the damn thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jmagerl wrote:

[...]

Don't let your wife near your freaking computer stuff, either. Hubby
always has had twice as many wires to hook up stuff as a normal person
has, so whilst he was indisposed for a week, I cleaned the computer lab.
So many darn phone plugs, I took out all the "spares" and put them in
a drawer. Including DSL filters. Who knew? At least I got rid of the
cracked 3-in-1 plug that hooked onto a three prong extension cord that
plugged into a two-prong ext. cord that ran under the mattress to the
plug-in strip on other side of the bedroom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe I wasnt clear. THe manual says to connect terminal one on motor to
terminal one on control head. same for 2,3 and 4. The manual also assumes a
standard flat 4 wire rotor cable so that wire one can be connected to
terminal one etcetera. THe problem is that instead of using standard rotor
cable, colored cable was used and there is no way of knowing what color is
connected to which terminal on the motor end. Therefore I don't know what
color corresponds to which terminal at the contol end. my only option is to
go thru all 24 permutations of 4 wires at the control head and hope that I
don't blow something up in the process. I was hoping that someone could
determine a way to ID at least one wire so that 24 permutations drop down to
6 and decrease my chances of burning something up

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"jmagerl" wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"jmagerl" wrote:

Maybe I wasnt clear. THe manual says to connect terminal one on motor to
terminal one on control head. same for 2,3 and 4. The manual also assumes a
standard flat 4 wire rotor cable so that wire one can be connected to
terminal one etcetera. THe problem is that instead of using standard rotor
cable, colored cable was used and there is no way of knowing what color is
connected to which terminal on the motor end. Therefore I don't know what
color corresponds to which terminal at the contol end. my only option is to
go thru all 24 permutations of 4 wires at the control head and hope that I
don't blow something up in the process. I was hoping that someone could
determine a way to ID at least one wire so that 24 permutations drop down to
6 and decrease my chances of burning something up

Ah. What RLM said. Follow the notes on fig. 7 to the extent that they
correspond with your actual wire colors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jmagerl" wrote in message
. net...

terminal one etcetera. THe problem is that instead of using standard rotor
cable, colored cable was used and there is no way of knowing what color
is connected to which terminal on the motor end. Therefore I don't know
what color corresponds to which terminal at the contol end. my only option
is to

No, that's not your only option. Go up on the roof and see how it's
connected up there!

Posted to alt.home.repair

jmagerl wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Unless you climb the tower and take note of what color wire is on which
terminal it,s pretty tough to guess. LONG shot guess is per electronic
color code scheme. 1 black, 2 red, 3 green 4 white.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

jmagerl wrote:

[...]

Three leasd are to the motor, one is "ground" the other two
should be near identical resistance. ohm the three leads.
highest reading between two leads is the two coil leads, the
other should be 1/2 the resistance and is ground. the forth
is the "clicker" lead that pulses as the motor turns. you
might need to flip the two coils, if the motor rotates the
wrong way.

1 and 2 are the coil leads, three is ground, 4 is the
clicker. its a split phase motor (90deg) with a cap between
the two coils. power is applied to ground, and either coil,
one coil runs left, other runs right. dry cap is most
common failure, other than broke cable.

To safely test, hook a 40 or 60 watt bulb in series with the
power cord. If it lights brightly, you need to try again,
but at least you wont burn anything up.

- larry / dallas
Posted to alt.home.repair

"jmagerl" wrote in message
[...]

Open up the rotor control box, maybe the installer left a drawing inside.

When I had a rotor long time ago, I left a drawing of the wire hookup
inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 18:10:04 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

jmagerl wrote:

[...]

So, how do you now get power to the appliances on that side of the
bedroom, or do they all use AA cells?
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

So, how do you now get power to the appliances on that side of the
bedroom, or do they all use AA cells?

Plug the strip into the outlet that is about 2' away from the mess. But
then hubby moved the wifi thingy to the kitchen counter ) Wonder how
it handles chocolate cake batter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bumpy wrote:
"jmagerl" wrote in message
[...]

Chuckle. When rotors were popular, back in the 50s and 60s and TV was
still considered 'hi-tech', most of the rotor control heads I saw had a
label pasted on the back or bottom for the installer to write in info
like that. Back then dealers usually sold them installed.

Now that I finally have a house, I'd love to have a tower and rotator,
like the family house did when I was a wee one. In cloudy weather in the
middle of night, I always found trying to nail distant city stations to
be quite fun. In college, I once got the Memphis stations in
Bloomington, IN, for several hours,aiming antenna by hand. (pole was
loose in the bracket on the student rental slum I was living in..)

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I live about 60 miles out of chicago. on the analog stations, its not that
critical to point the antenna, you can still get a watchable signal. But
with digital stations, I have to be spot on. Probably a combination of lower
station powers and interference from same channel stations across the lake.
The difference between CH7D and channel 9D is 5 degrees and it makes a
difference. BEfore this starts an arguement, I will also say that
attenuation from tree leaves also enter into the picture. Just bringing it
up to point out how marginal my signal conditions are. Get cable you say? it
doesnt come out here. Satilitte? No clear shot due to trees (those damn
leaves again)

I was really hoping the FCC was pushing all the digital stations to UHF so I
could get rid of the 10 foot monster antenna on the roof. But alas CH2D (and
I believe 7D) will still be on VHF

AS an update, I have determined that the green wire is terminal 4. There is
a switch in the motor end that is open allowing the ID. Now I have 6
combinations to play with instead of 24

I would love to buy a rotor that has an increment smaller than 10 degrees
but also alas there dont seem to be any good rotor manufacturers left.

"aemeijers" wrote in message
Bumpy wrote:
"jmagerl" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

jmagerl wrote:
I live about 60 miles out of Chicago. on the analog stations, its not that
critical to point the antenna, you can still get a watchable signal. But
with digital stations, I have to be spot on. Probably a combination of lower
station powers and interference from same channel stations across the lake.
The difference between CH7D and channel 9D is 5 degrees and it makes a
difference. Before this starts an argument, I will also say that
attenuation from tree leaves also enter into the picture. Just bringing it
up to point out how marginal my signal conditions are. Get cable you say? it
doesn't come out here. Satellite? No clear shot due to trees (those damn
leaves again)

I was really hoping the FCC was pushing all the digital stations to UHF so I
could get rid of the 10 foot monster antenna on the roof. But alas CH2D (and
I believe 7D) will still be on VHF

AS an update, I have determined that the green wire is terminal 4. There is
a switch in the motor end that is open allowing the ID. Now I have 6
combinations to play with instead of 24

I would love to buy a rotor that has an increment smaller than 10 degrees
but also alas there don't seem to be any good rotor manufacturers left.

That last is not quite true. There are several manufacturers of high
quality antenna rotors in business. They do not advertise to the
general public because their principal market is amateur radio operators
and renegade high power CB users. In case there are others in your
situation I'll list several amateur radio equipment vendors that carry
antenna rotors and have an internet presence that includes online
ordering. Let me assure everyone that I have no commercial or pecuniary
interest in any of these firms. Brace yourself for sticker shock.

http://www.aesham.com/pdf/page98-106.pdf
http://www.hamcity.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2915
http://www.hamradio.com/cgi-bin/uncgi/ase?DESC=rotor&Descr=Descr
http://www.randl.com/cgi-local/cart/cart.cgi?cart=Search&groupnumber=(6020)&nh=1

--
Tom Horne, W3TDH
Posted to alt.home.repair

But
with digital stations, I have to be spot on. Probably a combination of lower
station powers and interference from same channel stations across the lake.
The difference between CH7D and channel 9D is 5 degrees and it makes a
difference.

Not true. Even an Ultra Fringe TV antenna with its extreme gain
doesn't have that sharp of a front lobe. If 5 degrees makes a
difference then you must not of been pointed directly at the station
to begin with, or an adjacent signal was overwhelming the wanted
signal and a 5 degree adjustment put the adjacent signal to a null
point on the antenna.

RCA expert help needed -CTC177 chassis moonlite Electronics Repair 4 October 9th 05 09:34 AM
Metal Plating Expert Needed [email protected] Metalworking 3 June 17th 05 11:39 PM
TV antenna rotor box not working Al Electronics Repair 6 May 23rd 05 04:49 AM
Phone expert needed Steve P UK diy 10 March 6th 05 07:40 PM
Potterton Expert needed nick UK diy 8 December 10th 04 12:54 AM