Posted to alt.home.repair
larry larry is offline

Default Antenna Rotor expert needed

Tony Hwang wrote:

jmagerl wrote:

My TV antenna is (or I should say was) controlled by an Alliance U110
antenna rotor. My wonderful brother knocked the control head off of
its shelf and all the wires to the motor came off.

The terminals are labeled 1,2,3,4 and the wires are red, green, white,
black, hence the problem. WHich wire goes to which terminal.

here is a link to the instruction manual with schematic.
IS there any way using
an ohmmeter to identify at least one wire? Is it safe to try all 24
different combinations without blowing something up?

The wires on the motor end are not visible from the ground (its 40 ft
up) and its not feasable to pull the antenna down without 30 people to
help. (Did I say Pizza party?)

Theres a lesson here....record wire information and put it in a safe
spot....no thats not it...Dont let let your freakin brother near your
stuff!!! yeah...thats it.

Hi,
Unless you climb the tower and take note of what color wire is on which
terminal it,s pretty tough to guess. LONG shot guess is per electronic
color code scheme. 1 black, 2 red, 3 green 4 white.

Three leasd are to the motor, one is "ground" the other two
should be near identical resistance. ohm the three leads.
highest reading between two leads is the two coil leads, the
other should be 1/2 the resistance and is ground. the forth
is the "clicker" lead that pulses as the motor turns. you
might need to flip the two coils, if the motor rotates the
wrong way.

1 and 2 are the coil leads, three is ground, 4 is the
clicker. its a split phase motor (90deg) with a cap between
the two coils. power is applied to ground, and either coil,
one coil runs left, other runs right. dry cap is most
common failure, other than broke cable.

To safely test, hook a 40 or 60 watt bulb in series with the
power cord. If it lights brightly, you need to try again,
but at least you wont burn anything up.

- larry / dallas