Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lawn maintenance?

Hi All,

I not sure if this is the correct group to put this in, but let me
give this a try an see what you folks think.

It now takes about $30 in gas to fill up my mower. That does not even
take into account maintenance and labor. I was musing that if some
safe chemical could be sprayed on the grounds that would retard grass
growth either partially or completely, it would be worth significant
dollars in savings.

Is anyone currently doing this or is anything like this in the
pipeline?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
nobody wrote:

Hi All,

I not sure if this is the correct group to put this in, but let me
give this a try an see what you folks think.

It now takes about $30 in gas to fill up my mower. That does not even
take into account maintenance and labor. I was musing that if some
safe chemical could be sprayed on the grounds that would retard grass
growth either partially or completely, it would be worth significant
dollars in savings.

Is anyone currently doing this or is anything like this in the
pipeline?

I'm sure others can address the topical application of growth retardants
(gin works, but most of it's more expensive than gasoline,) but I'm
working the problem from another angle. I'm doing some genetic
engineering on various grasses now. Actually hybridizing them with
ketchup, which grows at a glacial pace. I reckon your local bookstore
has a section on gene splicing in the home workshop. Why not set up a
little lab in the bathtub, and do some experimenting on your own? Get
the kids involved, they'll find science more exciting than video games,
if you're enthusiastic about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"nobody" wrote in message
Hi All,

I not sure if this is the correct group to put this in, but let me
give this a try an see what you folks think.

It now takes about $30 in gas to fill up my mower. That does not even
take into account maintenance and labor. I was musing that if some
safe chemical could be sprayed on the grounds that would retard grass
growth either partially or completely, it would be worth significant
dollars in savings.

Is anyone currently doing this or is anything like this in the
pipeline?

My lawn is not big enough to make that a concern, but if it was, it would
not longer be lawn as we know it. There are plants that can be used to give
a nice even looking filed of green but does not grow much more than 6" or
so. It will not only save gas, but you labor if you converted a portion to
some natural plantings, clover, etc. We put too much emphasis on having
that large perfectly manicured lawn as a status symbol.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"nobody" wrote in message
[...]

I agree, but when you live in a subdivision, even a rural one like mine,
what are your alternatives? Even assuming you can get past the cranky
neighbors and nanny code officers, anything 'weird' is likely to bite you in
the butt come resale time. Unless it is in a clearly defined planting bed,
anything other than grass is cosidered a weed. Most of my neigbors are
retired, with too much spare time, and really like driving their toy
tractors around. Me, as long as it is green and holds the dirt down, I'm
happy. My neighbors don't talk to me much anymore......

(And of course, if you are in an HOA neighborhood, well, we all know what
they think about individuality....)

I bought this place 2.5 years ago, when interest rates were at a 40-year
low. My broker told me they were about to go up, so I settled. What I
really wanted was a place rural enough where I could just mow a fire break
around the house, and let the rest of the land do whatever it wanted to. But
short of hitting the lotto, unlikely I'll ever be high up enough on food
chain to afford that. (Much less waterfront land, but that is a lost dream
for another time...)

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

nobody wrote:
Hi All,

I not sure if this is the correct group to put this in, but let me
give this a try an see what you folks think.

It now takes about $30 in gas to fill up my mower. That does not even
take into account maintenance and labor. I was musing that if some
safe chemical could be sprayed on the grounds that would retard grass
growth either partially or completely, it would be worth significant
dollars in savings.

Is anyone currently doing this or is anything like this in the
pipeline?

Well, Monsanto has several products that are quite effective in stopping
growth completely...

Less watering is the first controlling factor.

Varietal selection would be next. Not knowing where you are makes
specific recommendations impossible but in an area with hot summers and
reasonably sandy soil (red clay is out), buffalo grass makes an almost
ideal lawn with the possible exception that, like Bermuda, it goes
dormant and doesn't stay green over the winter. Unlike Bermuda, while
it spreads similarly to Bermuda, it isn't nearly as agressive in taking
over where it isn't wanted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/6/2007 4:06 AM nobody said the following:
Hi All,

I not sure if this is the correct group to put this in, but let me
give this a try an see what you folks think.

It now takes about $30 in gas to fill up my mower. That does not even
take into account maintenance and labor. I was musing that if some
safe chemical could be sprayed on the grounds that would retard grass
growth either partially or completely, it would be worth significant
dollars in savings.

Is anyone currently doing this or is anything like this in the
pipeline?

There is a special grass that grows up to 3" in height. If it grows any
taller, the top falls off at the 3" height.
It must be true, I saw it on the internet. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"nobody" wrote in message
Hi All,

I not sure if this is the correct group to put this in, but let me
give this a try an see what you folks think.

It now takes about $30 in gas to fill up my mower. That does not even
take into account maintenance and labor. I was musing that if some
safe chemical could be sprayed on the grounds that would retard grass
growth either partially or completely, it would be worth significant
dollars in savings.

Is anyone currently doing this or is anything like this in the
pipeline?

If you wanted to save money, you wouldn't have bought a house. A house is
just incrementally better than a boat, in terms of eating money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/6/2007 7:51 AM Edwin Pawlowski said the following:
"nobody" wrote in message

[...]

I would like to have a perfect lawn, but not as a status symbol. I don't
care if anyone sees it, as long as I do.
It's an aesthetic thing, like keeping your house clean and neat. You
might as well say that having a perfect flower garden is a status symbol.
Besides, there's nothing better than walking barefoot in a well
manicured lawn.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"nobody" wrote in message

It now takes about $30 in gas to fill up my mower. That does not even
take into account maintenance and labor. I was musing that if some
safe chemical could be sprayed on the grounds that would retard grass
growth either partially or completely, it would be worth significant
dollars in savings.

Astroturf.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 6, 1:06 am, nobody wrote:
Hi All,

I not sure if this is the correct group to put this in, but let me
give this a try an see what you folks think.

It now takes about $30 in gas to fill up my mower. That does not even
take into account maintenance and labor. I was musing that if some
safe chemical could be sprayed on the grounds that would retard grass
growth either partially or completely, it would be worth significant
dollars in savings.

Is anyone currently doing this or is anything like this in the
pipeline?

As most of the others have posted, your best bet is to switch to a
different grass type. Ongoing chemical treatment won't be cheap.

How big is the lawn area?

Depending on where you live you might get a lot of hassle over any
"non traditional" lawn.

I have a friend who rented a hose with 1.5 acre lawn (typical for the
neighborhood & spent $$$'s per month watering having it mowed, just to
landfill the clippings) They wanted to go to pasture or local
wildflower or natives but the owner & the neighbors would have gone
nuts.

Maybe this grass could do the job for you

http://www.wildflowerfarm.com/Mercha...egory_Code =E

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message

I would like to have a perfect lawn, but not as a status symbol. I don't
care if anyone sees it, as long as I do.
It's an aesthetic thing, like keeping your house clean and neat. You might
as well say that having a perfect flower garden is a status symbol.
Besides, there's nothing better than walking barefoot in a well manicured
lawn.

So you need 10 acres of lawn to walk on barefoot? IMO, if you have that
much you have a status symbol if only to please one person, you. Third of
an acre is plenty to walk on. While I agree that having a well groomed and
neat lawn around the house looks nice, there are alternatives that can looks
just a nice, maybe even more at some times of the year. There is no valid
reason, other than you want to, for dumping chemicals and thousands of
gallons of water just to make it green.

I used to fertilize and water, but then I came to my senses and realized how
silly it was. In the spring I use some fertilizer with weed control on some
of my lawn once a year. The rest is all natural with wild flowers, trees,
ferns, etc. Lovely to look at and watch the wild life that thrives in it.

If you want a nice green lawn, Epsom salts works wonders for a lot less
money than commercial fertilizer. Check the ingredients.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/6/2007 3:23 PM Edwin Pawlowski said the following:
"willshak" wrote in message

[...]

OK, reading my message over again, I don't see all the between-the-lines
text that you seem to have seen.
First, I don't have 10 acres. My plot size is 1 acre. Excluding the
footprints of my 60' x 30' house, 400 sq ft sunroom, 90' long double
wide driveway, brick paver walks, 2-12' x 16' outbuildings (one a tool
shed, the other a pool cabana), and an 18' x 36' in-ground pool with
concrete walkways and gravel surround that has about the same size
footprint of my house, I figure that I may have 2/3 of an acre left to
grow grass.
Secondly, I didn't say anything about using fertilizer or chemicals.
Thirdly, I don't water my lawn at all, unless I plant new grass seed, or
plant a tree or flowers, and some of the water spills over onto the grass.
I only use Epsom salts to soak my feet, so I can walk barefoot on the
nice lawn I wished I had.
Geez, Ed. We've been around these parts for a while. Having a bad day?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

"willshak" wrote in message

[...]

To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

get a smaller lawnmower which does'nt take as much walk it will do you
good short of that Roundup

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message

[...]

Are my posts getting mixed up with others?
I didn't mention the words lawnmowers or roundup, and that's about the
only sense I could make of your cryptic message.
Are your punctuation keys all broken?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message

[...]

No matter how I try and interpret what he wrote, it's meaningless. And, I'm
good at word puzzles. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
First, I don't have 10 acres. Secondly, I didn't say anything about using
fertilizer or chemicals.
Thirdly, I don't water my lawn at all, unless I plant new grass seed, or
plant a tree or flowers, and some of the water spills over onto the grass.
I only use Epsom salts to soak my feet, so I can walk barefoot on the nice
lawn I wished I had.
Geez, Ed. We've been around these parts for a while. Having a bad day?

But we were talking about the guy with the $30 fill-up for his lawn tractor.
His circumstances are much different than yours but you did not make any
reference to a difference. Why else would you post that you like grass
unless you think he should maintain his large plot? I'm in favor of modest
lawn, but I think huge grass plots are ridiculous.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"willshak" wrote in message
First, I don't have 10 acres. Secondly, I didn't say anything about using
fertilizer or chemicals.
Thirdly, I don't water my lawn at all, unless I plant new grass seed, or
plant a tree or flowers, and some of the water spills over onto the
grass.
I only use Epsom salts to soak my feet, so I can walk barefoot on the
nice lawn I wished I had.
Geez, Ed. We've been around these parts for a while. Having a bad day?

But we were talking about the guy with the $30 fill-up for his lawn
tractor. His circumstances are much different than yours but you did not
make any reference to a difference. Why else would you post that you like
grass unless you think he should maintain his large plot? I'm in favor
of modest lawn, but I think huge grass plots are ridiculous.

This is a theory I can't prove, but I think that many people with 30 acre
lawns really belong in city dwellings. I know three people with more than 10
acres. Two of them say they have to keep them looking like golf courses
because otherwise "all sorts of things might live in the (groundcover,
underbrush, other alternative)". Things. All sorts of things. What the hell
did they expect would cohabitate on all that land? Espresso machines?

The third person has 120 acres which used to be farmland. For the 2 acres
around the house, he planted lawn. For the rest, he planted what a
neighboring farmer suggested and he pays someone to mow it down from four
feet high down to a few inches, 2-3 times per year. (I don't recall what he
planted, but I'm curious and I'll be seeing him tomorrow and I'll ask).

"Things" live in this guy's tall grass. His dogs run off the coyotes. The
other "things" are interesting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message

[...]

whassa matta wit youse guys? you no speaka da word salad? lemme put it
ta ya plain:

"If you want to use less than $30 worth of gas to fill up the mower, you
could get a push mower instead of a rider. The exercise will do you
good, anyway. I don't think there's such a thing as a grass growth
retardant, but a liberal application of Roundup would pretty much
eliminate your lawn mowing responsibilities altogether."
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/6/2007 11:22 PM Edwin Pawlowski said the following:
"willshak" wrote in message

First, I don't have 10 acres. Secondly, I didn't say anything about using
fertilizer or chemicals.
Thirdly, I don't water my lawn at all, unless I plant new grass seed, or
plant a tree or flowers, and some of the water spills over onto the grass.
I only use Epsom salts to soak my feet, so I can walk barefoot on the nice
lawn I wished I had.
Geez, Ed. We've been around these parts for a while. Having a bad day?

But we were talking about the guy with the $30 fill-up for his lawn tractor.
His circumstances are much different than yours but you did not make any
reference to a difference. Why else would you post that you like grass
unless you think he should maintain his large plot? I'm in favor of modest
lawn, but I think huge grass plots are ridiculous.

My liking to have a nice lawn has nothing to do with what the OP wants,
does, or should do, with his lawn or property, and I never said anything
to the OP other than a joke about self-mowing grass. My comment that
started this was in response to your comment about a perfectly manicured
lawn being a status symbol. I don't play golf, and I think that clearing
acres of woodlands and fields so that a few can knock little balls into
little holes is a waste of time and gas, but it's not my place to tell
them what to do, or not do.

..--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY