Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default lawn maintenance?

nobody wrote:
Hi All,

I not sure if this is the correct group to put this in, but let me
give this a try an see what you folks think.

It now takes about $30 in gas to fill up my mower. That does not even
take into account maintenance and labor. I was musing that if some
safe chemical could be sprayed on the grounds that would retard grass
growth either partially or completely, it would be worth significant
dollars in savings.

Is anyone currently doing this or is anything like this in the
pipeline?

Well, Monsanto has several products that are quite effective in stopping
growth completely...

Less watering is the first controlling factor.

Varietal selection would be next. Not knowing where you are makes
specific recommendations impossible but in an area with hot summers and
reasonably sandy soil (red clay is out), buffalo grass makes an almost
ideal lawn with the possible exception that, like Bermuda, it goes
dormant and doesn't stay green over the winter. Unlike Bermuda, while
it spreads similarly to Bermuda, it isn't nearly as agressive in taking
over where it isn't wanted.