Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default lawn maintenance?

on 10/6/2007 3:23 PM Edwin Pawlowski said the following:
"willshak" wrote in message

I would like to have a perfect lawn, but not as a status symbol. I don't
care if anyone sees it, as long as I do.
It's an aesthetic thing, like keeping your house clean and neat. You might
as well say that having a perfect flower garden is a status symbol.
Besides, there's nothing better than walking barefoot in a well manicured
lawn.

So you need 10 acres of lawn to walk on barefoot? IMO, if you have that
much you have a status symbol if only to please one person, you. Third of
an acre is plenty to walk on. While I agree that having a well groomed and
neat lawn around the house looks nice, there are alternatives that can looks
just a nice, maybe even more at some times of the year. There is no valid
reason, other than you want to, for dumping chemicals and thousands of
gallons of water just to make it green.

I used to fertilize and water, but then I came to my senses and realized how
silly it was. In the spring I use some fertilizer with weed control on some
of my lawn once a year. The rest is all natural with wild flowers, trees,
ferns, etc. Lovely to look at and watch the wild life that thrives in it.

If you want a nice green lawn, Epsom salts works wonders for a lot less
money than commercial fertilizer. Check the ingredients.

OK, reading my message over again, I don't see all the between-the-lines
text that you seem to have seen.
First, I don't have 10 acres. My plot size is 1 acre. Excluding the
footprints of my 60' x 30' house, 400 sq ft sunroom, 90' long double
wide driveway, brick paver walks, 2-12' x 16' outbuildings (one a tool
shed, the other a pool cabana), and an 18' x 36' in-ground pool with
concrete walkways and gravel surround that has about the same size
footprint of my house, I figure that I may have 2/3 of an acre left to
grow grass.
Secondly, I didn't say anything about using fertilizer or chemicals.
Thirdly, I don't water my lawn at all, unless I plant new grass seed, or
plant a tree or flowers, and some of the water spills over onto the grass.
I only use Epsom salts to soak my feet, so I can walk barefoot on the
nice lawn I wished I had.
Geez, Ed. We've been around these parts for a while. Having a bad day?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY