Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking for a good electric chain saw

Sooner or later I have problems starting a 2 cycle engine. Yes fresh fuel,
right oil/fuel mixture, etc. I'm ordering a carburetor rebuild kit for the
chain saw and hope that solve the problem. Funny thing I have over half
dozen of 2 cycle engines from cheap units to top of the line, from small to
a 80cc engines and the only one that I never had problems starting or
running is the Echo, even with old fuel that the other 2 cycles couldn't run
on.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good electric chain saw. Milwaukee, Makita or the
Poulan Pro.

Milwaukee:
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-16-I...983970&sr=8-31

Makita:
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-16-Inch...0983763&sr=8-2

Poulan Pro:
http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-18-Inch...0983763&sr=8-1

I didn't have much luck with the Poulan Pro gas saw but the electric model
is with good reviews and at less than half the price is tempting. All my
trees now are within 100' for the electric cord so distance is not a
problem. Has anyone used any of those saws above and care to comment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Milwaukee:http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-16-I...6215/dp/B00002...

Makita:http://www.amazon.com/Makita-16-Inch...000/dp/B00004T...

Poulan Pro:http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-18-Inch...PP400E/dp/B000...

I didn't have much luck with the Poulan Pro gas saw but the electric model
is with good reviews and at less than half the price is tempting. All my
trees now are within 100' for the electric cord so distance is not a
problem. Has anyone used any of those saws above and care to comment.

For no problems on starting gas I empty the tank, but your problem
could be the ignition circuit. Sthil might have the best electric, but
Milwaukee or makita should be very good.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Max Max is offline

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 06:06:28 -0700, "** Frank **"
graced this newsgroup with:

Sooner or later I have problems starting a 2 cycle engine. Yes fresh fuel,
right oil/fuel mixture, etc. I'm ordering a carburetor rebuild kit for the
chain saw and hope that solve the problem. Funny thing I have over half
dozen of 2 cycle engines from cheap units to top of the line, from small to
a 80cc engines and the only one that I never had problems starting or
running is the Echo, even with old fuel that the other 2 cycles couldn't run
on.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good electric chain saw. Milwaukee, Makita or the
Poulan Pro.

snip

I've owned several electrics throught the years and quite honestly,
they're all junk. The hassle of dragging a cord around is a pain and
the electric motors almost always jam on wet wood.

If you're having constant problems with your 2 cycles, I'd recommend
going to a small engine repair shop and having them look at your saws
and see if there's a common denominator that's causing your problems.

My 2 cycle motors on my leaf blowers, lawn mower, trimmer and chain
saws are all extremely reliable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just a thought. Are those Poulan saws based on the Macullock(sp)
design. If so nobody here had much success with those. So much so that
some individuals and shops refused to work on them!
We have an older Pioneer 1074, (no chain brake) no longer made which
is not too bad although I'm no expert! Stihl and Husquevarna (both
Scandinavian?) get good name here.
Electrics except for a bit of light tree 'trimming' not so sure! Seem
to lack power and rather rapidly go the way of electric lawn mowers
which don't last long here either.
Just an opinion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

** Frank ** wrote:

[...]

Huh?
My old Poulan Pro after more than a year sitting in a tool shed started
with less than 5 pulls. I had to cut some trees down at my cabin.
In my book all electric ones are frustration builder unless you want to
use it only to prune little branches off trees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Max wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
Ditto. I don't have any gripe against any 2 cycle stuff I own. Including
motor cycle. Using BEST quality mix oil in proper ratio is a must I think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Max writes:

[...]

I use my electric very rarely, maybe once a year.
It's a 30 year old Craftsman and is still going strong.

For *really* occasional use, an electric can't be beat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I buy electric chainsaws at flea markets and garage sales. Average
cost 10 bucks.

When a chain gets dull or other trouble occurs I just switch saws
Having 3 or 4 identical saws bought over time I can canibalized one
for parts, did this after dropping one out of a tree.

If I need a gas saw its better to rent it for day, since I dont need
it often. That way it always works

I avoid all 2 cycle engines like the OP my only experiences have been
bad...........

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've worn out one Remington and am starting on a second one, that over
the course of 10 years.
I'm not a city dweller, we have 5 acres with lots of trees, and do a
lot of cutting.
I bought the first one $29.95 at a home improvement store because we
were selling live Christmas trees
and my wife couldn't start the Husqvarna to sell any while I was
away.
After having it for a month I sold the 2 stroke and won't go back. I
take a 3 pronged approach to trimming at this point;
Small stuff hand shears, up to 4" cordless sawzall with a tree blade,
then out comes the electric chainsaw. I bought a few 50' 12 ga
extension cords, and have an attachment for the tractor, a motor
generator that makes working in the field easier. You do tend to bury
the cord when you get carried away trimming, but just unplug it and
pull it out, no worry.
I really don't bother sharpening blades, I just got to a big box
store, and buy an Oregon bar and chain for less than $20 and go right
on cutting. Oh, and buy a 16" it will run it and the bigger bar makes
the saw more versatile.

On Sep 28, 8:06 am, "** Frank **" wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"** Frank **" wrote in message
Sooner or later I have problems starting a 2 cycle engine. Yes
fresh fuel, right oil/fuel mixture, etc. I'm ordering a carburetor
rebuild kit for the chain saw and hope that solve the problem.
Funny thing I have over half dozen of 2 cycle engines from cheap
units to top of the line, from small to a 80cc engines and the
only one that I never had problems starting or running is the
Echo, even with old fuel that the other 2 cycles couldn't run on.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good electric chain saw. Milwaukee,
Makita or the Poulan Pro.

snip
I sympathize with you gas 2 cycle problems.
Over the years, I have found that after using any 2 cycle, it is
best to pour out the gas/oil mixture (back into the gas can) and
then run the device until it stops from fuel starvation. Keeps gas
from gumming up in the carb.

I have an old Poulan (which brand I don't necessarily recommend) and
last year it wouldn't start good or run right. After checking plug
etc. it still was the same. I ended up replacing the primer bulb
and all the plastic hoses involved in the gasoline system. It was a
heck of a job, but it has run great since then.

Perhaps what you have could be fixed if you are patient and halfway
good at DYI projects, but count on a half day to replace all the
plastic hoses.

As for electric saws, I have purchased three or four and have
discarded them all. They have little power and are a real pain to
use with all the cord.

Anyway, that's my experience.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

Huh?
My old Poulan Pro after more than a year sitting in a tool shed started
with less than 5 pulls.

Is this with more than a year old gas too?

From one extreme my Echo doesn't care if the gas is over a year old (two to
three pulls!) to my 80cc Husqvarna that won't start if gas is over 60 days
old.

I think the Poulan Pro share some parts with Husqvarna.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message

"** Frank **" wrote in message
[...]

I've been dumping out the gas on all the 2 cycles - over a gallon so far.
I'm also cleaning the carbs. Seems like lacquer thinner/ultrasonic cleaner
combo does a good job. Just remove the gasket and rubber parts as the
lacquer thinner will eat it up.

I have an old Poulan (which brand I don't necessarily recommend) and last
year it wouldn't start good or run right. After checking plug etc. it
still was the same. I ended up replacing the primer bulb and all the
plastic hoses involved in the gasoline system. It was a heck of a job,
but it has run great since then.

Perhaps what you have could be fixed if you are patient and halfway good
at DYI projects, but count on a half day to replace all the plastic hoses.

I'm getting a carb rebuild and gasket kits for the Poulan Pro.

What is so frustrating is that one week the 2 cycles run great and than the
next week it won't run at all. I ended up taking down couple of 25' trees
with my Milwaukee super sawzall - roots and all.

As for electric saws, I have purchased three or four and have discarded
them all. They have little power and are a real pain to use with all the
cord.

Anyway, that's my experience.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:25:14 -0400, Max wrote:

[...]

I think you are an exception to the rule......
I wont even own a 2 cycle (anything) anymore. All they do is **** me
off. I'd rather haul a cord than fight with a 2 cycle engine. I have
an electric weed whacker that is as powerful if not more than any gas
one I ever used. I will admit that I have not had the best of luck
with electric chain saws. The motors tend to burn out on large trees,
but then I have never had anything but cheap ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 12:00:08 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

Max writes:

[...]

I think that's the problem with the gas ones. They are things we use
once or twice a year, and by that time they are gummed up or the
points are corroded or something else occurs. Even if you dump the
gas after using it, there is still some gas in it. For someone in the
logging business that uses it each day, it's different. Yet, at the
same time, 2cycle engines are not the best design. It would be nice
if they could make 4 cycle engines on these tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Max writes:

[...]

if they could make 4 cycle engines on these tools.- Hide quoted text -

4 cycles weigh much more.

TODAY gasoline goes bad after a month because they refirmulated gas
removing much of the volatiles and costing us more.

2 cycle anything to me has a skull and cross bones on it. to be
avoided at all costs!

Electric Chain Saws Jim Elbrecht Home Repair 0 June 12th 06 07:28 PM
Electric Chain Saws RBM Home Repair 0 June 12th 06 12:19 PM
Electric Chain Saws [email protected] Home Repair 0 June 12th 06 04:19 AM
F.S. chain hoist electric williamhenry Metalworking 0 September 8th 05 12:48 AM
Electric Chain Saw recommendations Carmen Home Repair 28 June 11th 05 02:57 AM