Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default Looking for a good electric chain saw

I've worn out one Remington and am starting on a second one, that over
the course of 10 years.
I'm not a city dweller, we have 5 acres with lots of trees, and do a
lot of cutting.
I bought the first one $29.95 at a home improvement store because we
were selling live Christmas trees
and my wife couldn't start the Husqvarna to sell any while I was
away.
After having it for a month I sold the 2 stroke and won't go back. I
take a 3 pronged approach to trimming at this point;
Small stuff hand shears, up to 4" cordless sawzall with a tree blade,
then out comes the electric chainsaw. I bought a few 50' 12 ga
extension cords, and have an attachment for the tractor, a motor
generator that makes working in the field easier. You do tend to bury
the cord when you get carried away trimming, but just unplug it and
pull it out, no worry.
I really don't bother sharpening blades, I just got to a big box
store, and buy an Oregon bar and chain for less than $20 and go right
on cutting. Oh, and buy a 16" it will run it and the bigger bar makes
the saw more versatile.

On Sep 28, 8:06 am, "** Frank **" wrote:
Sooner or later I have problems starting a 2 cycle engine. Yes fresh fuel,
right oil/fuel mixture, etc. I'm ordering a carburetor rebuild kit for the
chain saw and hope that solve the problem. Funny thing I have over half
dozen of 2 cycle engines from cheap units to top of the line, from small to
a 80cc engines and the only one that I never had problems starting or
running is the Echo, even with old fuel that the other 2 cycles couldn't run
on.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good electric chain saw. Milwaukee, Makita or the
Poulan Pro.

Milwaukee:http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-16-I...6215/dp/B00002...

Makita:http://www.amazon.com/Makita-16-Inch...000/dp/B00004T...

Poulan Pro:http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-18-Inch...PP400E/dp/B000...

I didn't have much luck with the Poulan Pro gas saw but the electric model
is with good reviews and at less than half the price is tempting. All my
trees now are within 100' for the electric cord so distance is not a
problem. Has anyone used any of those saws above and care to comment.