Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Burying black iron pipe

"HeyBub" wrote in message
How so? A buried black-iron pipe will last 30 years - an outside grill
will be luck to last 30 months. We ran an iron pipe, under salt water, to
a gas light at the end of a pier. That was over twenty years ago. The lamp
is still on. Of course the pipe is covered with barnacles, so that might
protect it some. Still...

It has been shown here and is common knowledge that black pipe CAN rust out
in just a few years. and if the grill only last 30 months, then something's
wrong.

How so? Burying the pipe is purely cosmetic - you could run it over the
grass and it wouldn't matter.

Won't meet code.

steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Ignoramus11107 wrote:

I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

Is black pipe even legal in your area? The last natural gas line I
ran had to be that orange plastic stuff where it was underground. The
original black pipe was illegal in SW Ohio over 20 years ago because of
the soil.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

marson wrote:

On Sep 22, 12:14 pm, Ignoramus11107 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11107.invalid wrote:
OK, what pipe should I use. That's for gas application. thanks

I need the answer ASAP.

Pete answered your question. In my city, plumbers need special
certification to run flex. It isn't even legal for a homeowner to
mess with natural gas anyway. Might want to just call in a plumber so
you don't cause some disaster sometime down the road.

Where is this not allowed? I installed a new natural gas service to
my house in Middletown, Ohio 24 years ago. I had to use the orange
plastic, and leave the trench open for the city inspection, then have
CG&E run a leak test before I was allowed to fill the ditch and have my
gas turned back on.

The guy from CG&E couldn't figure out how I got a full 21 foot piece
of black iron pipe into the 12' * 12' basement, and was upset that I
passed the test on the first try. He had bragged that licensed plumbers
failed at least three times per location, before it passed and 'that
there is no way in hell you'll pass if they can't'. He ran the test
three times, in an attempt to fail me. After he finished, I explained
how I got the pipe into the basement, in one piece. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

"Bob M." wrote in message

"Ignoramus11107" wrote in message
OK, what pipe should I use. That's for gas application. thanks

I need the answer ASAP.

If you need the answer ASAP, go to the local plumbing supply place (not Home
Cheapo, Lowes, etc) and ask them. Most likely they'll know the local code, or
know someone who does.

The Usenet is not the place to ask questions that need answering "right now".

Plumbing stores, in my experience, are not the place either. They rarely, in my
experience, know anything that they are willing to state about code
requirements. The inspector is by far a better source of this info. Usenet is at
least as good as plumbing stores.

I went to a industrial pipe supplier. They sold the plastic pipe by
the foot, and had all the special fittings, as well as copies of the
local code, and phone numbers from the cities, and different utility
companies. Not only did they have the right materials, they were the
only source for almost 100 miles.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Steve Barker LT wrote:
It might, but who cares?

The pipe will outlast your grill no matter what you do to the pipe.

wrong

How so? A buried black-iron pipe will last 30 years - an outside grill will
be luck to last 30 months. We ran an iron pipe, under salt water, to a gas
light at the end of a pier. That was over twenty years ago. The lamp is
still on. Of course the pipe is covered with barnacles, so that might
protect it some. Still...

But I am sure you know one example of "see this works" proves absolutely
nothing.

And why three feet? Six inches seems about right.

and wrong.

How so? Burying the pipe is purely cosmetic - you could run it over the
grass and it wouldn't matter.

steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Sep 23, 7:12 pm, Ignoramus9581
wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:40:46 -0500, HeyBub wrote:
Steve Barker LT wrote:
It might, but who cares?

The pipe will outlast your grill no matter what you do to the pipe.

wrong

How so? A buried black-iron pipe will last 30 years - an outside grill will
be luck to last 30 months. We ran an iron pipe, under salt water, to a gas
light at the end of a pier. That was over twenty years ago. The lamp is
still on. Of course the pipe is covered with barnacles, so that might
protect it some. Still...

I had to do it by tomorrow. We are redoing concrete and concrete
people will concrete the area tomorrow. I ended up using iron
pipes. (which I had to cut and thread in several points).

I coated the iron pipes with a very generous coat of military surplus
cosmoline, then wrapped then in closed cell pipe foam insulation, and
buried them in river pea gravel. I am on a little hill, so the water
table is not even close to the pipe.

I think that they will hold up for quite a while.

Do you have gas inspectors in your area? If you do you had better hope
he does not inspect your installation since he could ( in many
jurisdictions ,be forced to by law)shut off the gas supply to your
house until the offending installation is repaired.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Steve Barker LT wrote:
[...]

house until the offending installation is repaired.- Hide quoted text -

Here you have to have a licensed gas fitters tagg at the last fitting
and he takes the fall if it fails gas is deadly don.t care where you
been you or what you fought, right once, wrong never again kaboom .
Ive never had a failed fitting in 25 yrs of doing gas or a failed
inspection.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Ignoramus11107 wrote:
I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

It might, but who cares?

The pipe will outlast your grill no matter what you do to the pipe.

And why three feet? Six inches seems about right.

Code is 18". Did you ever hear of a frost heave?

unscrew fitting or cut/thread black iron pipe Rald Metalworking 2 February 20th 05 03:12 PM
Burying gas pipe? Bannygrob UK diy 6 August 18th 04 12:15 AM
Burying a pipe in concrete Gulph Home Repair 4 March 19th 04 07:13 AM
How much weight can a 3/4" black iron pipe support hanging from its threads? Stu Metalworking 2 September 27th 03 09:12 PM
Burying water pipe in wall No-one UK diy 12 August 27th 03 03:07 PM