Bannygrob

Default Burying gas pipe?

Just about to put an offer in on a house where the incoming gas supply(after
meter to cooker) travels through a concrete floor but has been boxed in with
wood. Over a period of time the wood has rotted away just leaving a 'trough'
containing a 15mm copper gas pipe and loads of rotten wood. The ideal way of
putting this right would be to fill the trough with fresh concrete but the
present owner tells me that it was not done that way in the first place
because it would not meet current gas regs. I realise that you have to make
provision for any gas leak to be able to escape to outside air but can
anyone advise whether encasing the pipe in concrete would fall foul of the
regs?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

John Stumbles

"Bannygrob" wrote in message
Just about to put an offer in on a house where the incoming gas

supply(after
meter to cooker) travels through a concrete floor but has been boxed in

with
wood. Over a period of time the wood has rotted away just leaving a

'trough'
containing a 15mm copper gas pipe and loads of rotten wood. The ideal way

of
putting this right would be to fill the trough with fresh concrete but the
present owner tells me that it was not done that way in the first place
because it would not meet current gas regs. I realise that you have to

make
provision for any gas leak to be able to escape to outside air but can
anyone advise whether encasing the pipe in concrete would fall foul of the
regs?

yes it would fall foul - if you search google's archive of this group you'll
find the issue has been discussed several times in some detail, last just a
week or so ago.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dave Jones

"Bannygrob" wrote in message
[...]

I believe placing it in a larger pipe usually plastic, and then burying that
would be ok

If you did it your self building control would have to get involved, so
might be easier to get a corgi plumber

Dave

Stephen Jones

I have just had a gas pipe buried in concrete moved and the original
was steel buried in concrete. The corgi guy dug up the pipe at a join,
dug a trench in the concrete floor, 22mm copper pipe 1" below surface,
and put in the copper pipe wrapped in denzil tape and did a pressure
test for leaks so I assume thats all you have to do! (£185)
Steve

IMM

"Stephen Jones" wrote in message
m...
I have just had a gas pipe buried in concrete moved and the original
was steel buried in concrete. The corgi guy dug up the pipe at a join,
dug a trench in the concrete floor, 22mm copper pipe 1" below surface,
and put in the copper pipe wrapped in denzil tape and did a pressure
test for leaks so I assume thats all you have to do! (£185)
Steve

If CORGI got to know they might take away his certificate.

raden

In message , IMM writes

"Stephen Jones" wrote in message
om...
I have just had a gas pipe buried in concrete moved and the original
was steel buried in concrete. The corgi guy dug up the pipe at a join,
dug a trench in the concrete floor, 22mm copper pipe 1" below surface,
and put in the copper pipe wrapped in denzil tape and did a pressure
test for leaks so I assume thats all you have to do! (£185)
Steve

If CORGI got to know they might take away his certificate.

Now I know you're not in the real world

--
geoff