Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Burying black iron pipe

HeyBub wrote:
Steve Barker LT wrote:
It might, but who cares?

The pipe will outlast your grill no matter what you do to the pipe.

wrong

How so? A buried black-iron pipe will last 30 years - an outside grill will
be luck to last 30 months. We ran an iron pipe, under salt water, to a gas
light at the end of a pier. That was over twenty years ago. The lamp is
still on. Of course the pipe is covered with barnacles, so that might
protect it some. Still...

But I am sure you know one example of "see this works" proves absolutely
nothing.

And why three feet? Six inches seems about right.

and wrong.

How so? Burying the pipe is purely cosmetic - you could run it over the
grass and it wouldn't matter.

steve