Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
sparky sparky is offline

Default Burying black iron pipe

On Sep 23, 7:12 pm, Ignoramus9581
wrote:
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:40:46 -0500, HeyBub wrote:
Steve Barker LT wrote:
It might, but who cares?

The pipe will outlast your grill no matter what you do to the pipe.

wrong

How so? A buried black-iron pipe will last 30 years - an outside grill will
be luck to last 30 months. We ran an iron pipe, under salt water, to a gas
light at the end of a pier. That was over twenty years ago. The lamp is
still on. Of course the pipe is covered with barnacles, so that might
protect it some. Still...

I had to do it by tomorrow. We are redoing concrete and concrete
people will concrete the area tomorrow. I ended up using iron
pipes. (which I had to cut and thread in several points).

I coated the iron pipes with a very generous coat of military surplus
cosmoline, then wrapped then in closed cell pipe foam insulation, and
buried them in river pea gravel. I am on a little hill, so the water
table is not even close to the pipe.

I think that they will hold up for quite a while.

Do you have gas inspectors in your area? If you do you had better hope
he does not inspect your installation since he could ( in many
jurisdictions ,be forced to by law)shut off the gas supply to your
house until the offending installation is repaired.