DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Burying black iron pipe (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/215318-burying-black-iron-pipe.html)

Ignoramus11107 September 22nd 07 05:31 PM

Burying black iron pipe

I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

Pete C. September 22nd 07 05:36 PM

Burying black iron pipe

Ignoramus11107 wrote:

I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

It could benefit from being replaced by a more appropriate material
selection, such as the jacketed corrugated stainless gas line that is
replacing black pipe for gas service most everywhere now.

Mikepier September 22nd 07 05:37 PM

Burying black iron pipe

On Sep 22, 12:31 pm, Ignoramus11107 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11107.invalid wrote:
I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

Why not run galvanized pipe?

Gerry[_2_] September 22nd 07 05:41 PM

Burying black iron pipe

On Sep 22, 11:31 am, Ignoramus11107 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11107.invalid wrote:
I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

It will probable last 20-30 years without and treatment, BUT you would
be much better off if you wrap it in the self adhesive tape that is
available for this application. Usually it is available at a good
plumbing supply. Around here, even galv pipe has to be wrapped where
it passes through cement. The other way would be to run the proper
type of poly tubing for gas service, also available at plumbing
supplie stores. Many years ago, I ran gas to my house through black
poly. Every time the area flooded, you could trace the path of the
line by following the ting bubbles comeing up through the water. Not
enough to smell or even be picked up with my gas detector, but the
bubbles were there regardless

Toller September 22nd 07 05:41 PM

Burying black iron pipe

ups.com...
11107.invalid wrote:
I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

Why not run galvanized pipe?

Certainly a better idea than black iron. Locally they allow K copper.

Gerry[_2_] September 22nd 07 06:02 PM

Burying black iron pipe

11107.invalid wrote:
I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

Why not run galvanized pipe?

Galv pipe is not approved in my area for gas service. The authorities
say the zinc will flake off in time on the inside of the pipe and
cause plugging of the orifices in gas appliences

George September 22nd 07 06:05 PM

Burying black iron pipe

Ignoramus11107 wrote:
I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

Black pipe is not appropriate for direct burial.

Trevor Jones September 22nd 07 06:12 PM

Burying black iron pipe

Ignoramus11107 wrote:
I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

Get pipe rated for burial.

Black Iron, ain't it.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Ignoramus11107 September 22nd 07 06:14 PM

Burying black iron pipe

OK, what pipe should I use. That's for gas application. thanks

I need the answer ASAP.

marson September 22nd 07 06:44 PM

Burying black iron pipe

On Sep 22, 12:14 pm, Ignoramus11107 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11107.invalid wrote:
OK, what pipe should I use. That's for gas application. thanks

I need the answer ASAP.

Pete answered your question. In my city, plumbers need special
certification to run flex. It isn't even legal for a homeowner to
mess with natural gas anyway. Might want to just call in a plumber so
you don't cause some disaster sometime down the road.

dpb September 22nd 07 07:09 PM

Burying black iron pipe

Toller wrote:
ups.com...
11107.invalid wrote:
I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

Why not run galvanized pipe?

Certainly a better idea than black iron. Locally they allow K copper.

Because some jurisdictions still require black for NG is at least one
reason...

dpb September 22nd 07 07:10 PM

Burying black iron pipe

Toller wrote:
ups.com...
11107.invalid wrote:
I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

Why not run galvanized pipe?

Certainly a better idea than black iron. Locally they allow K copper.

Correction to last...not worded as intended. Some jurisdictions still
bar galvanized for NG rather than require black...

Bruce L. Bergman September 22nd 07 08:10 PM

Burying black iron pipe

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 11:31:59 -0500, Ignoramus11107
wrote:

I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

They make black steel pipe with a green plastic corrosion coating,
available almost everywhere that carries black pipe.

You have to rust protect all scuffs or breaks in the pipe coating
and all joints and couplings with black plastic pipe wrap tape,
preferably with two or more coats (one before wrapping and one or two
after) of brush on protective coating to seal the tape to the pipe.

Cosmolene won't last underground, it takes a barrier solution.

Make sure to put a shutoff valve before the underground section, so
you don't have to turn off the whole house if it leaks. Make sure
it's rated for fuel gas, not all plumbing valves are. And put a tee
with a "drip leg" in front of the grill shutoff valve, so if there is
any condensation in the pipe it doesn't get into your gas grille.

You have to take a special course to buy or use the corrugated
stainless "flex line" for gas, but if you want to jump through the
hoops to buy it they do make a plastic coated version that can be
direct buried. And it will cost a bit more but install a whole lot
faster and easier.

-- Bruce --

catguy September 22nd 07 08:16 PM

Burying black iron pipe

"Ignoramus11107" wrote in message
I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

Here's what happened to an unwrapped galvanized coupling after 3 years of burial in central
California......Paul

http://0304.netclime.net/1_5/000/000/522/a91/pipe.jpg

Bob F September 22nd 07 08:26 PM

Burying black iron pipe

wrote:

[...]

I did a similar project years ago, and also used the green coated pipe and
wrapped the joints with pipe tape. Now, apparently, my inspectors allow
galvanized pipe also, but that wasn't the case then. It apparently can be
related to your gas supply - what contaminates are in it that can corrode
galvanized pipe.

Your best bet is to talk to your gas plumbing inspector. He knows what is OK for
your area, and what he expects. You have to meet his (or her) standards to pass
the inspection. I find these people to be very helpful when making these
decisions.

Bob

Bob F September 22nd 07 08:31 PM

Burying black iron pipe

"catguy" wrote in message

"Ignoramus11107" wrote in message
I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

Here's what happened to an unwrapped galvanized coupling after 3 years of
burial in central California......Paul

http://0304.netclime.net/1_5/000/000/522/a91/pipe.jpg

This brings to mind something I was thinging about to extend the life of the
pipe I buried. Would it be advantagous to attach a large buried zinc anode to
the gas pipe to delay corrosion when the coatings finally do break down? The
wire from the anode could be attached to an above ground portion of the pipe.

Bob

[email protected] September 22nd 07 08:31 PM

Burying black iron pipe

On Sep 22, 3:16 pm, "catguy"
wrote:
"Ignoramus11107" wrote in message

I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

Here's what happened to an unwrapped galvanized coupling after 3 years of burial in central
California......Paul

http://0304.netclime.net/1_5/000/000/522/a91/pipe.jpg

I saw a similar thing happen here in NJ at a condo complex with 120
units. The underground pipe that went from the meter to the
individual condo unit was black pipe. We started to see failures
within a few years of original installation by the builder. The root
cause of the problem was obvious. Upon digging them out, you could
see a tar coating had been applied to the top and sides of the pipe,
but not the bottom. It had obviously been either brushed or poured
on after the pipe was in the trench and they did not do the bottom.
The top and sides were OK. The bottom looked like swiss cheese. I
would never have believed any iron pipe would fail that quickly. But
it did and we had to replace all of them. And just about all of them
had either very significant corrosion, or were totally shot and
actually leaking gas.

The advice from the local gas company at the time was that black pipe
with wrapping was the recommended replacement. Today I would use the
new flex gas lines.

[email protected] September 22nd 07 08:36 PM

Burying black iron pipe

On Sep 22, 3:31?pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"catguy" wrote in message

"Ignoramus11107" wrote in message
m...
I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

Here's what happened to an unwrapped galvanized coupling after 3 years of
burial in central California......Paul

http://0304.netclime.net/1_5/000/000/522/a91/pipe.jpg

This brings to mind something I was thinging about to extend the life of the
pipe I buried. Would it be advantagous to attach a large buried zinc anode to
the gas pipe to delay corrosion when the coatings finally do break down? The
wire from the anode could be attached to an above ground portion of the pipe.

Bob

check with local codes, I would run the direct burial plastic service
line pipe. thats all thats used locally for main service

Bob M. September 22nd 07 08:45 PM

Burying black iron pipe

"Ignoramus11107" wrote in message
OK, what pipe should I use. That's for gas application. thanks

I need the answer ASAP.

If you need the answer ASAP, go to the local plumbing supply place (not Home
Cheapo, Lowes, etc) and ask them. Most likely they'll know the local code,
or know someone who does.

The Usenet is not the place to ask questions that need answering "right
now".

DanG September 22nd 07 09:49 PM

Burying black iron pipe

The correct pipe for what you are doing is yellow poly pipe. The
joints and fittings are melted together. There are stab
connections made for this stuff if your AHJ will accept. You may
have to hire a plumber to make the terminations.
http://www.wngp.com/gaslines.html

CSST is for running on the interior. I do not know if it rated
for or accepted as direct bury.

Copper piping is acceptable in most jurisdictions with all joints
above ground if possible.

The other choice would be to buy the black pipe with a green
plastic coating bonded to it. All nicks, scuffs, dings, and
fittings will need special treatment and wrapping with the
appropriate coal tar or vinyl tape.

While looking for information to help you, I found this article:
http://www.co.st-louis.mo.us/pubworks/PermGasGrills.pdf Make
sure to read detail number 8.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Ignoramus11107" wrote in
message ...

Bob F September 22nd 07 10:24 PM

Burying black iron pipe

"Bob M." wrote in message

"Ignoramus11107" wrote in message
OK, what pipe should I use. That's for gas application. thanks

I need the answer ASAP.

If you need the answer ASAP, go to the local plumbing supply place (not Home
Cheapo, Lowes, etc) and ask them. Most likely they'll know the local code, or
know someone who does.

The Usenet is not the place to ask questions that need answering "right now".

Plumbing stores, in my experience, are not the place either. They rarely, in my
experience, know anything that they are willing to state about code
requirements. The inspector is by far a better source of this info. Usenet is at
least as good as plumbing stores.

Bob

Bob F September 22nd 07 10:27 PM

Burying black iron pipe

wrote in message
oups.com...

This brings to mind something I was thinging about to extend the life of the
pipe I buried. Would it be advantagous to attach a large buried zinc anode to
the gas pipe to delay corrosion when the coatings finally do break down? The
wire from the anode could be attached to an above ground portion of the pipe.

Bob

check with local codes, I would run the direct burial plastic service
line pipe. thats all thats used locally for main service

And, from watching the gas company do it a couple weeks ago, requires very
expensive tooling and careful technique to make joints.

Bob

ATP* September 22nd 07 10:52 PM

Burying black iron pipe

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"catguy" wrote in message

"Ignoramus11107" wrote in message
I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

Here's what happened to an unwrapped galvanized coupling after 3 years of
burial in central California......Paul

http://0304.netclime.net/1_5/000/000/522/a91/pipe.jpg

This brings to mind something I was thinging about to extend the life of
the pipe I buried. Would it be advantagous to attach a large buried zinc
anode to the gas pipe to delay corrosion when the coatings finally do
break down? The wire from the anode could be attached to an above ground
portion of the pipe.

Bob

That was actually described in the old "blue book" the local utility
published with gas regulations.

HeyBub September 22nd 07 10:57 PM

Burying black iron pipe

Ignoramus11107 wrote:
I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

It might, but who cares?

The pipe will outlast your grill no matter what you do to the pipe.

And why three feet? Six inches seems about right.

[email protected] September 22nd 07 11:24 PM

Burying black iron pipe

On Sep 22, 8:31 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

This brings to mind something I was thinging about to extend the life of the
pipe I buried. Would it be advantagous to attach a large buried zinc anode to
the gas pipe to delay corrosion when the coatings finally do break down? The
wire from the anode could be attached to an above ground portion of the pipe.

Bob

That should work.

Dan

Steve Barker LT[_2_] September 23rd 07 02:18 AM

Burying black iron pipe

oups.com...
11107.invalid wrote:
OK, what pipe should I use. That's for gas application. thanks

I need the answer ASAP.

Pete answered your question. In my city, plumbers need special
certification to run flex. It isn't even legal for a homeowner to
mess with natural gas anyway.

That blanket statement is false. It's perfectly fine in my area.

steve

Steve Barker LT[_2_] September 23rd 07 02:22 AM

Burying black iron pipe

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Ignoramus11107 wrote:
I am laying a black iron pipe in a trench about 3' deep, that is a gas
line for my NG grill. About 10' long.

My question is, would the pipe benefit from anti rust treatment, such
as Cosmoline. Thanks

It might, but who cares?

The pipe will outlast your grill no matter what you do to the pipe.

wrong

And why three feet? Six inches seems about right.

and wrong.

steve

jim September 23rd 07 02:39 AM

Burying black iron pipe

On Sep 22, 5:24 pm, " wrote:
On Sep 22, 8:31 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

This brings to mind something I was thinging about to extend the life of the
pipe I buried. Would it be advantagous to attach a large buried zinc anode to
the gas pipe to delay corrosion when the coatings finally do break down? The
wire from the anode could be attached to an above ground portion of the pipe.

Bob

That should work.

Dan

Get a gas fitter or at least someone licensed to do it or you could
blow up yours and your nieghbors house. As most of the places ban the
use of Galvanized pipe with gas type k cooper tube is all we use here
and have started to use plastic buriul pipe . WHAT EVER you do don,t
use poly as the gas will break it down.

Bob F September 23rd 07 03:10 AM

Burying black iron pipe

"ATP*" wrote in message

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"catguy" wrote in message

[...]

Now that's what I wanted to hear. I already have the anode, from a second hand
marine supply place for $7. About 7"x 2" x3/4" of zinc with a wire coming out of
the block. I guess I'll go ahead with that project.

Bob

Bob F September 23rd 07 03:13 AM

Burying black iron pipe

"jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 22, 5:24 pm, " wrote:
On Sep 22, 8:31 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

This brings to mind something I was thinging about to extend the life of
the
pipe I buried. Would it be advantagous to attach a large buried zinc anode
the gas pipe to delay corrosion when the coatings finally do break down?
The
wire from the anode could be attached to an above ground portion of the
pipe.

Bob

That should work.

Dan

Get a gas fitter or at least someone licensed to do it or you could
blow up yours and your nieghbors house. As most of the places ban the
use of Galvanized pipe with gas type k cooper tube is all we use here
and have started to use plastic buriul pipe . WHAT EVER you do don,t
use poly as the gas will break it down.

Why on earth should attaching an anode to the outside of a gas pipe require a
"gas fitter"? And what does that have to do with galvanized pipe, other than
being a substitute for the protection provided?

Bob

ATP* September 23rd 07 04:38 AM

Burying black iron pipe

"jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 22, 5:24 pm, " wrote:
On Sep 22, 8:31 pm, "Bob F" wrote:

This brings to mind something I was thinging about to extend the life
of the
pipe I buried. Would it be advantagous to attach a large buried zinc
anode to
the gas pipe to delay corrosion when the coatings finally do break
down? The
wire from the anode could be attached to an above ground portion of the
pipe.

Bob

That should work.

Dan

Get a gas fitter or at least someone licensed to do it or you could
blow up yours and your nieghbors house. As most of the places ban the
use of Galvanized pipe with gas type k cooper tube is all we use here
and have started to use plastic buriul pipe . WHAT EVER you do don,t
use poly as the gas will break it down.

If you use plastic, you have to use a special high density poly that is
listed for gas. Suppliers here sell it to licensed plumbers. We have
galvanized pipe all over the place for natural gas, particularly on runs
across flat roofs. Underground runs that are not done with poly are done
with the plastic covered black pipe as mentioned by other posters. The local
utility should have a book or pdf available online with regulations for gas
piping.

Too_Many_Tools September 23rd 07 05:46 AM

Burying black iron pipe

wrote:

[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

They are very helpful when you ask them BEFORE you do something.

Like any person, they get really cranky when you try to make their
lives difficult by cutting corners or doing a job wrong.

TMT

Nick Mueller September 23rd 07 02:59 PM

Burying black iron pipe

Ignoramus11107 wrote:

OK, what pipe should I use. That's for gas application. thanks

I need the answer ASAP.

Need more points for the troll-award 2007?

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de

HeyBub September 23rd 07 09:40 PM

Burying black iron pipe

Steve Barker LT wrote:
It might, but who cares?

The pipe will outlast your grill no matter what you do to the pipe.

wrong

How so? A buried black-iron pipe will last 30 years - an outside grill will
be luck to last 30 months. We ran an iron pipe, under salt water, to a gas
light at the end of a pier. That was over twenty years ago. The lamp is
still on. Of course the pipe is covered with barnacles, so that might
protect it some. Still...

And why three feet? Six inches seems about right.

and wrong.

How so? Burying the pipe is purely cosmetic - you could run it over the
grass and it wouldn't matter.

steve

Edwin Pawlowski September 23rd 07 10:57 PM

Burying black iron pipe

"HeyBub" wrote in message

How so? A buried black-iron pipe will last 30 years - an outside grill
will be luck to last 30 months. We ran an iron pipe, under salt water, to
a gas light at the end of a pier. That was over twenty years ago. The lamp
is still on. Of course the pipe is covered with barnacles, so that might
protect it some. Still...

What matters is doing it to code. Below are a couple of examples.

http://www.sunnyvale.ca.gov/NR/rdonl.../GasPiping.pdf
• Underground installation: factory-coated material listed for underground
gas line

installation and installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s
requirements.

Fittings may be wrapped in the field with an approved material. When using
nonmetallic

pipe, an 18 AWG yellow continuous wire must be attached to the exterior of

the pipe.

http://www.stlawrencegas.com/home/Un...quirements.pdf

5. Dig a trench approximately 18” deep x 6” wide - The dimension of the
trench can be

reduced to 12”x 6” if external damage to pipe is not likely to result. If a
12” cover

cannot be maintained, the pipe shall be installed in conduit.

6. Run gas pipe and tracer wire - Your contractor is responsible for
installing the gas

piping and “tracer wire.” The piping must be polyethylene and sized properly
for the

input of the pool heater.

Even the Brits want 15" of cover

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pipelines/faqs.htm

A gas service pipe should normally be laid with a minimum depth of cover of
375 mm in private ground and 450 mm in footpaths and highways.

HeyBub September 24th 07 12:04 AM

Burying black iron pipe

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message

How so? A buried black-iron pipe will last 30 years - an outside
grill will be luck to last 30 months. We ran an iron pipe, under
salt water, to a gas light at the end of a pier. That was over
twenty years ago. The lamp is still on. Of course the pipe is
covered with barnacles, so that might protect it some. Still...

What matters is doing it to code. Below are a couple of examples.

Oh. No good reason, though. Okay.

Ignoramus9581 September 24th 07 12:12 AM

Burying black iron pipe

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:40:46 -0500, HeyBub wrote:
Steve Barker LT wrote:
It might, but who cares?

The pipe will outlast your grill no matter what you do to the pipe.

wrong

How so? A buried black-iron pipe will last 30 years - an outside grill will
be luck to last 30 months. We ran an iron pipe, under salt water, to a gas
light at the end of a pier. That was over twenty years ago. The lamp is
still on. Of course the pipe is covered with barnacles, so that might
protect it some. Still...

I had to do it by tomorrow. We are redoing concrete and concrete
people will concrete the area tomorrow. I ended up using iron
pipes. (which I had to cut and thread in several points).

I coated the iron pipes with a very generous coat of military surplus
cosmoline, then wrapped then in closed cell pipe foam insulation, and
buried them in river pea gravel. I am on a little hill, so the water
table is not even close to the pipe.

I think that they will hold up for quite a while.

John September 24th 07 12:25 AM

Burying black iron pipe

HeyBub wrote:

Steve Barker LT wrote:

It might, but who cares?

The pipe will outlast your grill no matter what you do to the pipe.

wrong

How so? A buried black-iron pipe will last 30 years - an outside grill will
be luck to last 30 months. We ran an iron pipe, under salt water, to a gas
light at the end of a pier. That was over twenty years ago. The lamp is
still on. Of course the pipe is covered with barnacles, so that might
protect it some. Still...

And why three feet? Six inches seems about right.

and wrong.

How so? Burying the pipe is purely cosmetic - you could run it over the
grass and it wouldn't matter.

steve

I can remember as a kid seeing underground pipes being coated with tar
before they were buried. The same treatment was used on oil tanks in
the ground.

John

DanG September 24th 07 12:44 AM

Burying black iron pipe

If the gas pipe is coming up through the new concrete, wrap a
layer of foam rubber or some such to keep the pipe from being
locked in the slab.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Ignoramus9581" wrote in
message ...

Ignoramus9581 September 24th 07 01:16 AM

Burying black iron pipe

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:44:34 -0500, DanG wrote:
If the gas pipe is coming up through the new concrete, wrap a
layer of foam rubber or some such to keep the pipe from being
locked in the slab.

No, the new pipe will not touch concrete at any point. I specified it
and my FIL will be watching. The area where it goes vertically into
the ground, and where concrete surrounds it, they will make a round
opening that I will fill with something else. That's also why I
decided to buy pea gravel to fill the trench, instead of using crushed
recycled concrete that they will use under the new cocnrete as
"gravel".