Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Elec code question

Does code require the receptacle for a over-the-range microwave to be GFI
protected? (Seems to me like it would be a good idea because one may
frequently be touching the microwave and the grounded range - or is it
sufficient to depend on the microwave ground being intact at all times?)

Anyway the main question is, "Doec the code require a GFI here?"

Many thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:14698$46f09249$9440c41e$8159
@STARBAND.NET:

wrote in message
Does code require the receptacle for a over-the-range microwave to be

GFI
protected? (Seems to me like it would be a good idea because one may
frequently be touching the microwave and the grounded range - or is it
sufficient to depend on the microwave ground being intact at all times?)

Anyway the main question is, "Doec the code require a GFI here?"

No

It does is it is near the sink.

But you knew that. Right? I'm sure you'll say so anyway.

Actually, assuming we are talking kitchens in dwelling units, the 2005 NEC,
Article 210.8(A)(6) only says that kitchens require GFCIs on receptacles
"where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces".
Local codes may be more restrictive.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

For starters, they say something different then they say for outlets above
stoves for microwaves

"Clark" wrote in message
"SRN" wrote in
:

wrote in message
Does code require the receptacle for a over-the-range microwave to be
GFI
protected? (Seems to me like it would be a good idea because one may
frequently be touching the microwave and the grounded range - or is
it sufficient to depend on the microwave ground being intact at all
times?)

Anyway the main question is, "Doec the code require a GFI here?"

No

It does is it is near the sink.

But you knew that. Right? I'm sure you'll say so anyway.

Actually, assuming we are talking kitchens in dwelling units, the 2005
NEC, Article 210.8(A)(6) only says that kitchens require GFCIs on
receptacles "where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop
surfaces". Local codes may be more restrictive.

Ok, I'll certainly go along with that, but what do they say about
receptacles near wet locations or exterior doors?

--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

wrote in message
Does code require the receptacle for a over-the-range microwave to be

GFI
protected? (Seems to me like it would be a good idea because one may
frequently be touching the microwave and the grounded range - or is it
sufficient to depend on the microwave ground being intact at all

times?)

Anyway the main question is, "Doec the code require a GFI here?"

No

It does is it is near the sink.

But you knew that. Right? I'm sure you'll say so anyway.

Once again, you show you're ignorance.
Try purchasing a NEC2005 and learn to read.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Regardless of what "an inspector" should require, the NEC doesn't

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:d7073$46f3d805$9440c41e$30006
@STARBAND.NET:

wrote in message
Does code require the receptacle for a over-the-range microwave to be
GFI
protected? (Seems to me like it would be a good idea because one may
frequently be touching the microwave and the grounded range - or is

it
sufficient to depend on the microwave ground being intact at all

times?)

Anyway the main question is, "Doec the code require a GFI here?"

No

It does is it is near the sink.

But you knew that. Right? I'm sure you'll say so anyway.

Once again, you show you're ignorance.
Try purchasing a NEC2005 and learn to read.

You're still wrong. Could the receptacle serve the counter? Is it within 6
feet of a wet location? If those conditions are met then an inspector
should require protection. Got it?

--
---
there should be a "sig" here

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

"Clark" wrote in message
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in news:xFVIi.670$GW.238
@newsfe12.lga:

Regardless of what "an inspector" should require, the NEC doesn't

The NEC requires protection for outlets near wet locations. No one has
provided a cite for an exception to that requirement.

Sorry, wrong again. You need to invest in a code book. There is nothing in
the NEC that requires (generally) that GFCI protection is required for
outlets "near wet locations" It does require protection in specific wet
locations and other specific locations, but adjacent to an exist door on the
inside of a house, while "near" a wet location, is not required to be GFCI
protected

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

wrote in message
[...]

I got the fact that you don't understand NEC codes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Clark, you're reaching!!! Originally when GFCI protection was required at
kitchen counters, it was for any outlet within six feet of the sink. That's
changed and all kitchen counter outlets are required to be protected. GFCI
rules are pretty specific now, such as where an outdoor hot tub is
installed, a GFCI outlet is required to be installed between ten and twenty
feet from the tub. The only current six foot rule I know of is a counter top
at a wet bar, any outlet within six feet of the sink must be protected

"Clark" wrote in message
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in
:

"Clark" wrote in message
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in news:xFVIi.670$GW.238
@newsfe12.lga:

Regardless of what "an inspector" should require, the NEC doesn't

The NEC requires protection for outlets near wet locations. No one has
provided a cite for an exception to that requirement.

Sorry, wrong again. You need to invest in a code book. There is nothing
in the NEC that requires (generally) that GFCI protection is required
for outlets "near wet locations" It does require protection in specific
wet locations and other specific locations, but adjacent to an exist
door on the inside of a house, while "near" a wet location, is not
required to be GFCI protected

Ummm, what about the rule of being within six feet? That still holds does
it not?

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You are the one claiming some six foot of a wet location rule. There simply
isn't one. As I said earlier, there are many SPECIFIC locations where GFCI
protection is required. Within six feet of a laundry or wet bar sink are two
specific locations

"Clark" wrote in message
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in
:

Clark, you're reaching!!! Originally when GFCI protection was required
at kitchen counters, it was for any outlet within six feet of the sink.
That's changed and all kitchen counter outlets are required to be
protected. GFCI rules are pretty specific now, such as where an outdoor
hot tub is installed, a GFCI outlet is required to be installed between
ten and twenty feet from the tub. The only current six foot rule I know
of is a counter top at a wet bar, any outlet within six feet of the sink
must be protected

First off, I'm not really reaching. I am following code as adopted by my
local jurisdiction.

NEC 2005 requires protection for laundray & utility sinks along with wet
bar
sinks. Specific exceptions for kitchen locations are noted.

There are many requirements for gfci protection near wet locations.
Perhaps
you should read the code?

http://www.passandseymour.com/2005neccodebook.pdf

"Clark" wrote in message
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in
:

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:d5c94$46f617a4$9440c41e$2024
@STARBAND.NET:

wrote in message
[...]

Wrong again.

Yeah, right.
If you did, you wouldn't be asking your stupid ass questions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in
:

[...]

Perhaps you should get someone to explain it to ya.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:76acc$46f74889$9440c41e$12389
@STARBAND.NET:

"Clark" wrote in message
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in
:

[...]

You're projecting.

You're an incompetent idiot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:3e33$46f7481b$9440c41e$12360
@STARBAND.NET:

wrote in message
[...]

Wrong again. Read the questions and try to understand the point this time.

I got the point, you're a Putz.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message

Putz

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message

Putz

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message

Putz

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message

Putz

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 12:19?am, Clark wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:6b2c0$46ffcbca$9440c41e$23721
@STARBAND.NET:

"Clark" wrote in message
.. .

Putz

I know you are but what am I?

Maybe when you sober up you'll come back and read your own posts. Pretty
silly there drunken, dancing, monkey boi. I post and you dance. *It never
fails*.

--
---
there should be a "sig" here

wouldnt it be funny if these 2 were really the same poster arguing
with themselves? dont laugh its happened before

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message

Putz

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message

Putz

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 1, 12:19?am, Clark wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:6b2c0$46ffcbca$9440c41e$23721
@STARBAND.NET:

"Clark" wrote in message
.. .

Putz

I know you are but what am I?

Maybe when you sober up you'll come back and read your own posts. Pretty
silly there drunken, dancing, monkey boi. I post and you dance. *It

never
fails*.

--
---
there should be a "sig" here

wouldnt it be funny if these 2 were really the same poster arguing
with themselves? dont laugh its happened before

Not happening here, Clark is just my newest little pet. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message

Putz

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message

Putz

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message

Putz

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message

Looking for another treat?

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message

Does your mother know you're on her computer again?

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message

Your mother should slap the stupid right out of you... wait, that would
probably take to long.

Elec Shower Question . Stuart B UK diy 3 March 21st 07 01:06 PM
Elec Question Don Dando Woodworking 3 March 18th 06 04:10 PM
Elec. subpanel question Martin Home Repair 7 June 9th 05 08:26 PM
e-lectrical code question Borax Home Repair 6 June 3rd 05 04:22 AM
elec. code for heater in bathroom Michael Press Home Repair 7 January 6th 04 08:23 PM