Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Elec code question

You are the one claiming some six foot of a wet location rule. There simply
isn't one. As I said earlier, there are many SPECIFIC locations where GFCI
protection is required. Within six feet of a laundry or wet bar sink are two
specific locations

"Clark" wrote in message
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in
:

Clark, you're reaching!!! Originally when GFCI protection was required
at kitchen counters, it was for any outlet within six feet of the sink.
That's changed and all kitchen counter outlets are required to be
protected. GFCI rules are pretty specific now, such as where an outdoor
hot tub is installed, a GFCI outlet is required to be installed between
ten and twenty feet from the tub. The only current six foot rule I know
of is a counter top at a wet bar, any outlet within six feet of the sink
must be protected

First off, I'm not really reaching. I am following code as adopted by my
local jurisdiction.

NEC 2005 requires protection for laundray & utility sinks along with wet
bar
sinks. Specific exceptions for kitchen locations are noted.

There are many requirements for gfci protection near wet locations.
Perhaps
you should read the code?

http://www.passandseymour.com/2005neccodebook.pdf

"Clark" wrote in message
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in
:

"Clark" wrote in message
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in
news:xFVIi.670$GW.238 @newsfe12.lga:

Regardless of what "an inspector" should require, the NEC doesn't

The NEC requires protection for outlets near wet locations. No one
has provided a cite for an exception to that requirement.

Sorry, wrong again. You need to invest in a code book. There is
nothing in the NEC that requires (generally) that GFCI protection is
required for outlets "near wet locations" It does require protection
in specific wet locations and other specific locations, but adjacent
to an exist door on the inside of a house, while "near" a wet
location, is not required to be GFCI protected

Ummm, what about the rule of being within six feet? That still holds
does it not?

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:d7073$46f3d805$9440c41e$30006
@STARBAND.NET:

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:14698$46f09249$9440c41e$8159
@STARBAND.NET:

wrote in message
Does code require the receptacle for a over-the-range
microwave to
be
GFI
protected? (Seems to me like it would be a good idea because
one
may
frequently be touching the microwave and the grounded range -
or is
it
sufficient to depend on the microwave ground being intact at
all
times?)

Anyway the main question is, "Doec the code require a GFI
here?"

No

It does is it is near the sink.

But you knew that. Right? I'm sure you'll say so anyway.

Once again, you show you're ignorance.
Try purchasing a NEC2005 and learn to read.

You're still wrong. Could the receptacle serve the counter? Is it
within
6
feet of a wet location? If those conditions are met then an
inspector should require protection. Got it?

--
---
there should be a "sig" here

--