Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

Default Elec code question

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:14698$46f09249$9440c41e$8159
@STARBAND.NET:

wrote in message
Does code require the receptacle for a over-the-range microwave to be

GFI
protected? (Seems to me like it would be a good idea because one may
frequently be touching the microwave and the grounded range - or is it
sufficient to depend on the microwave ground being intact at all times?)

Anyway the main question is, "Doec the code require a GFI here?"

No

It does is it is near the sink.

But you knew that. Right? I'm sure you'll say so anyway.

Actually, assuming we are talking kitchens in dwelling units, the 2005 NEC,
Article 210.8(A)(6) only says that kitchens require GFCIs on receptacles
"where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces".
Local codes may be more restrictive.