Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Copper Nails

Hello all,

I have a Maple tree that I want to take down due to tree roots getting into
a septic system. Unfortunately I won't have the time to do this until after
Winter due to life and jobs. A friend had told me that he heard if you put
copper nails in the tree it'll die.

First I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true? Also where does one
get copper nails? I've never even heard of them before.

Thanks,

Brian

Posted to alt.home.repair

brian wrote:
Hello all,

I have a Maple tree that I want to take down due to tree roots getting into
a septic system. Unfortunately I won't have the time to do this until after
Winter due to life and jobs. A friend had told me that he heard if you put
copper nails in the tree it'll die.

First I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true? Also where does one
get copper nails? I've never even heard of them before.

Thanks,

Brian

Its a myth. Google is your friend.
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

brian wrote:
Hello all,

I have a Maple tree that I want to take down due to tree roots getting into
a septic system. Unfortunately I won't have the time to do this until after
Winter due to life and jobs. A friend had told me that he heard if you put
copper nails in the tree it'll die.

First I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true? Also where does one
get copper nails? I've never even heard of them before.

Copper _sulfate_ is the predominant type of root killer for sewer and
septic systems, but even it is normally not taken up in sufficient
quantities to actually kill the whole tree, only the roots in the
pipes/tanks, etc.

Copper nails are used for copper roofing and other places where sheet
copper may be used. But, not useful for the purpose stated.

Get one of the tree root treatment products instead...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 1:04 pm, "brian" wrote:
Hello all,

I have a Maple tree that I want to take down due to tree roots getting into
a septic system. Unfortunately I won't have the time to do this until after
Winter due to life and jobs. A friend had told me that he heard if you put
copper nails in the tree it'll die.

First I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true? Also where does one
get copper nails? I've never even heard of them before.

Thanks,

Brian

If the tree is really a problem, girdle it. The only living part is
the bark and
the outermost cambium layer, maybe 1-1/2" deep. Remove a 6" wide
band, and the tree is history.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 13:04:40 -0400, "brian" wrote:

Hello all,

I have a Maple tree that I want to take down due to tree roots getting into
a septic system. Unfortunately I won't have the time to do this until after
Winter due to life and jobs. A friend had told me that he heard if you put
copper nails in the tree it'll die.

First I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true? Also where does one
get copper nails? I've never even heard of them before.

Thanks,

Brian

This is true. But, it is far more dangerous to cut down a dead tree
than a live one. You would be better off just cutting it down during
the winter, or hire someone to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/1/2007 1:04 PM brian said the following:
Hello all,

I have a Maple tree that I want to take down due to tree roots getting into
a septic system. Unfortunately I won't have the time to do this until after
Winter due to life and jobs. A friend had told me that he heard if you put
copper nails in the tree it'll die.

First I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true? Also where does one
get copper nails? I've never even heard of them before.

Thanks,

Brian

At any hardware store. They are used to nail copper pipe brackets to
wood joists, studs, etc..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"brian" wrote in message
Hello all,

I have a Maple tree that I want to take down due to tree roots getting
into a septic system. Unfortunately I won't have the time to do this until
after Winter due to life and jobs. A friend had told me that he heard if
you put copper nails in the tree it'll die.

First I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true?

Yes, it is true. Takes from 50 to 100 years sometimes though.

Also where does one get copper nails? I've never even heard of them
before.

Roofing supply houses will carry them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

...But, it is far more dangerous to cut down a dead tree
than a live one. ...

How so????

Trees in populated areas are taken down piecemeal instead of one mighty
"TIMBER!"

Things break at weak points rather than where you cut.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

HeyBub wrote:
dpb wrote:
...But, it is far more dangerous to cut down a dead tree
than a live one. ...

How so????

Trees in populated areas are taken down piecemeal instead of one mighty
"TIMBER!"

So? What bearing does that have?

Things break at weak points rather than where you cut.

Doh...

OP's talking about a tree that isn't even dead yet...yet the respondent
is claiming if he were to girdle it and cut it next year instead that
would be far more dangerous somehow...don't see that yet.

An old crag of 50-yr, maybe if one tried climbing it, but something like
that is simply stupidity...

I still don't see the concern.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb writes:

Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 13:04:40 -0400, "brian" wrote:

Hello all,

I have a Maple tree that I want to take down due to tree roots
getting into a septic system. Unfortunately I won't have the time
to do this until after Winter due to life and jobs. A friend had
told me that he heard if you put copper nails in the tree it'll die.

First I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true? Also where
does one get copper nails? I've never even heard of them before.

Thanks,

Brian

...But, it is far more dangerous to cut down a dead tree
than a live one. ...

How so????

I suppose there is more than one reason.
Start with:

More dead branches overhead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ferd Farkel" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 1, 1:04 pm, "brian" wrote:
Hello all,

I have a Maple tree that I want to take down due to tree roots getting
into
a septic system. Unfortunately I won't have the time to do this until
after
Winter due to life and jobs. A friend had told me that he heard if you
put
copper nails in the tree it'll die.

First I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true? Also where does
one
get copper nails? I've never even heard of them before.

Thanks,

Brian

If the tree is really a problem, girdle it. The only living part is
the bark and
the outermost cambium layer, maybe 1-1/2" deep. Remove a 6" wide
band, and the tree is history.

So would I have to take a 6" band of bark only or a 6" band 1-1/2" deep?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 16:17:18 -0500, dpb wrote:

...I still don't see the concern.

"None is so blind as he who will not see."

Granted, the OP tree will be sound for a while, but decayed trees don't
hold climbing spikes well. Limbs that seem sound can break off, inches
further out from where they are tied off, or being cut. Essentially, the
behavior of dead trees is far less predictable than live trees.
Therefore, bringing a decayed tree down involves greater risks.

I chuckled, when you described something as "simply stupidity." I
thought, "Now there's something he knows about!"

_______________________
"Only two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Michael A. Ball" wrote in message
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 16:17:18 -0500, dpb wrote:

...I still don't see the concern.

"None is so blind as he who will not see."

Granted, the OP tree will be sound for a while, but decayed trees don't
hold climbing spikes well. Limbs that seem sound can break off, inches
further out from where they are tied off, or being cut. Essentially, the
behavior of dead trees is far less predictable than live trees.
Therefore, bringing a decayed tree down involves greater risks.

I chuckled, when you described something as "simply stupidity." I
thought, "Now there's something he knows about!"

And of course, there's the issue of just not getting around to it next year, or
the following year, .....

Next thing you know, it's lying on the house.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Michael A. Ball wrote:
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 16:17:18 -0500, dpb wrote:

...I still don't see the concern.

"None is so blind as he who will not see."

Granted, the OP tree will be sound for a while, but decayed trees don't
hold climbing spikes well. Limbs that seem sound can break off, inches
further out from where they are tied off, or being cut. Essentially, the
behavior of dead trees is far less predictable than live trees.
Therefore, bringing a decayed tree down involves greater risks.

I chuckled, when you described something as "simply stupidity." I
thought, "Now there's something he knows about!"

In a year or two it ain't gonna' be a bit different...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 13:04:40 -0400, "brian" wrote:

Hello all,

I have a Maple tree that I want to take down due to tree roots getting into
a septic system. Unfortunately I won't have the time to do this until after
Winter due to life and jobs. A friend had told me that he heard if you put
copper nails in the tree it'll die.

First I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true? Also where does one
get copper nails? I've never even heard of them before.

Thanks,

Brian

Definately a case of premeditated murder. After you buy the nails.
call your lawyer. I already reported you for attempted murder. If
that tree dies, you go to prison. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Vav
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 13:04:40 -0400, "brian" wrote:

Hello all,

I have a Maple tree that I want to take down due to tree roots getting
into
a septic system. Unfortunately I won't have the time to do this until
after
Winter due to life and jobs. A friend had told me that he heard if you put
copper nails in the tree it'll die.

First I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true? Also where does one
get copper nails? I've never even heard of them before.

Thanks,

Brian

Definately a case of premeditated murder. After you buy the nails.
call your lawyer. I already reported you for attempted murder. If
that tree dies, you go to prison. No ifs ands or buts about it.

Vav

You're trying to be funny, but your post contains a kernal of truth, Why
kill the tree, if it is otherwise healthy? It would likely be cheaper
and/or less work to replace that section of sewer line with someting the
tree can't get into. And a big healthy tree is worth 5 grand easy when it
comes time to sell the house, not to mention how nice shade is in summer.
Unless a tree is falling apart or endangering the house, I would price out
all the alternatives before I had it removed, especially if it was so big or
so close to other trees that professional help would be needed.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

theres a cheap easy solution i have been using for over 10 years.

just mix rocksalt with hot water like a 25 pound bag every 4 months,
do twice in spring befor trees leaf out thats when max root growth
occurs.

kills the roots doesnt harm tree, really cheap too. do before leaving
house so rock salt water remains in line as long as possible.

or you can go high tech where the line is snaked and cleaned then a
interior sock is placed and inflated with very hot water, it hardens
the plastic sock no more roots can get into the line. but its costly.

incidently its not just trees that get into lines, even bushes can. I
had some fitzer bushes the plumber claimed were in my line. didnt
believe him till fixing a wall showed the roots went straight down to
the line.

i installed a basement toilet and found under my floor roots
everywhere, i had to use a saw and lopers to install the drain for the
toilet.
its hard to believe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 06:47:12 -0700, "
wrote:

incidently its not just trees that get into lines, even bushes can. I

Damn, I'd sure hate to find George W. Bush in my sewer......
(even if that is where he belongs).....
Or any of the other Bushes......

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Rocksalt will kill surrounding grass, shrubs, flowers, etc. and last a
long time until the rain washes it out. If you use this procedure
don't expect plants to grow there. This is not the procedure to use
if gardening is anyone's hobby.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Are you saying that rock salt will kill George W. Bush?
You need to be ashamed, very ashamed !!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

if gardening is anyone's hobby. - Hide quoted text -

you use the rocksalt IN THE SEWER LINE, all it does is kill the tree
roots. doesnt harm the trees or bushes.

sad it couldnt fix george

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message
Rocksalt will kill surrounding grass, shrubs, flowers, etc. and last a
long time until the rain washes it out. If you use this procedure
don't expect plants to grow there. This is not the procedure to use
if gardening is anyone's hobby.

In addition it can leach into the well. Here in CT a well was contaminated
by the town salt shed and they figure it will be 20 years before that well
can be clean enough to drink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I cleaned my water softener salt tank out the first time by dumping the
dirty, salty water on the downhill side of my lawn on the back side of
my house. It took two years before anything would grow there.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 1, 1:04 pm, "brian" wrote:
[...]

Bark, cambium, and the next lower growth ring to make sure you've
got all the cambium.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 3, 1:11 pm, wrote:
In article . com,
says...

incidently its not just trees that get into lines, even bushes can. I
had some fitzer bushes the plumber claimed were in my line. didnt
believe him till fixing a wall showed the roots went straight down to
the line.

Even simple ground covers like clover or vetch can have roots that run
down 4-6 feet or more. It's amazing how much of a plant can be
underground.

Hence their value for mineral transport, brought up from the deep
subsoil and left on the surface as decayed organic material,
aka humus. Alfalfa's roots can run 25 - 30 feet deep or more.

Fernco/Mission couplers for copper to copper? Dan Lanciani Home Repair 1 January 28th 07 11:26 PM
Fernco/Mission couplers for copper to copper? Dan Lanciani Home Ownership 1 January 28th 07 11:26 PM
Which nails to use Chris Styles UK diy 23 October 28th 06 09:28 PM
The nails Torge Home Repair 4 September 2nd 06 04:41 PM
2' Nails [email protected] UK diy 7 April 3rd 06 05:19 PM