Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Copper Nails

brian wrote:
Hello all,

I have a Maple tree that I want to take down due to tree roots getting into
a septic system. Unfortunately I won't have the time to do this until after
Winter due to life and jobs. A friend had told me that he heard if you put
copper nails in the tree it'll die.

First I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true? Also where does one
get copper nails? I've never even heard of them before.

Copper _sulfate_ is the predominant type of root killer for sewer and
septic systems, but even it is normally not taken up in sufficient
quantities to actually kill the whole tree, only the roots in the
pipes/tanks, etc.

Copper nails are used for copper roofing and other places where sheet
copper may be used. But, not useful for the purpose stated.

Get one of the tree root treatment products instead...