Posted to alt.home.repair
brian[_2_] brian[_2_] is offline

Default Copper Nails

"Ferd Farkel" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 1, 1:04 pm, "brian" wrote:
Hello all,

I have a Maple tree that I want to take down due to tree roots getting
into
a septic system. Unfortunately I won't have the time to do this until
after
Winter due to life and jobs. A friend had told me that he heard if you
put
copper nails in the tree it'll die.

First I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true? Also where does
one
get copper nails? I've never even heard of them before.

Thanks,

Brian

If the tree is really a problem, girdle it. The only living part is
the bark and
the outermost cambium layer, maybe 1-1/2" deep. Remove a 6" wide
band, and the tree is history.

So would I have to take a 6" band of bark only or a 6" band 1-1/2" deep?