Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installation of a Ductless Mini-Split System?

Moe Jones wrote:

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message
I want to install a ductless mini-split system in my
garage/workshop, so I called one of the local HVAC companies to get
a quote. I started to tell the girl who answered the phone what I
wanted, and she said, "Oh, we don't install ductless mini-split
systems." I asked her why, and she said she didn't know.

What I really need is someone to do the charging for me - I can do
the physical installation. So how do I find somebody who's got the
EPA certification?

--Steve

Why don't you call a couple of HVAC companies and locate one that will
install them?
That way, you'll have someone to complete the job and have a warranty
to boot.

I agree, so should be able to find a HVAC company to install the system.

A couple of years ago I replaced one and I messed up by not reading the
instructions.

On that system you had to insulate the liquid line because they used it as a
metering device so the liquid line would sweat and it was dripping water
inside the space. :-(

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

The so called "liquid line" can no longer be called a liquid line when used as a
metering device, it becomes an RFC (refrigerat flow control) line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Specs:

Rated Voltage Indoor: 36V DC
Rated AMPS: 11.1
Minimum Circuit Ampacity: 20
Maximum Overcurrent Protection: 20
Indoor W x H x D (inches): 22 13/32 x 22 13/32 x 65 3/8
Indoor Weight (lbs.) : 24.9
Outdoor W x H x D (inches) : 40 5/32 x 34 3/16 x 17 5/16
Outdoor Weight (lbs.) : 139.0
Cooling Range (°F) : 64-86
Indoor units Model #: LMAN090CNS
Outdoor Model #: LMU240CE
Total Cooling Capacity (BTUs): 18,000. 2 indoor Art Cool units of 9,000
BTU Each
SEER: 13
Air Circulation (CFM H/M/L): 264/230/177 (Per Indoor Unit)
Fan Speeds: 4/Auto/Chaos
Dehumidification (pts/hr): 2.3
Indoor dB(A)*: 37/31/27
Outdoor dB(A)* : 50
Pipe Size(OD) - Liquid: 1/4"
Pipe Size(OD) - Suction: 3/8"
Max Line Set Length per indoor unit: 50 Ft.
Max Line Set Elevation per indoor unit: 25 Ft.
Rated Voltage Outdoor: 230/208-60-1
Warranty : 2 years parts, 5 years compressor

RBM wrote:

One of them is : LMU240CE

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Let me really clarify. These are new. They're made by LG

What's the model number?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

RBM wrote:
My point is that being a low voltage circuit to the blower unit makes
it a simple installation, more so than having to run a line voltage
and control circuit. It's still an 18/4 cable albeit not CL-2. Truth
of the matter is the installation I saw was done by a large union
"HVAC professional" company.
The reason I post here is to try to give useful advice to homeowners
and do-it-yourself folks that request it. I do this as a seasoned
professional in my particular field, as do many others. Since your
advice to folks seems to be to call a professional, why exactly do
you post here?

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
In my book, if it's under 600 volt, which is standard building
wire, it's thermostat wire, waterproof or not

Then by all means, be a hack...

Hell, while you're at it, you might as well do the whole installation
wrong.
That way, when the equipment fails, you can blame the manufacture,
Eh? This whole thread is nothing but a waste of space.
I don't even know why you posted on the subject, if you're not going
to take
advice from the Professionals.

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
One of them is : LMU240CE

Directly from their installations instructions...

"Use outdoor and waterproof connection cable rated more than 300V
for the connection between indoor and outdoor unit. (For example,
Type SJO-WA)" That's not standard 18/4 thermostat wire!
That's one of the reason's you need to hire a competent HVAC
technician to install your mini-split system!

Well RBM, since you mentioned it, posting to folks to use 18 ga. for this
application is incorrect. I post *once in awhile* to help folks as well. I
would not recommend that DIY's do air conditioning and refrigeration work,
since it is hazardous. It can kill. That's why you don't usually find HVAC
equipment available at your local Home DIY center. It is a silent killer if
not properly installed. And yes, I have the training, the certificiations
and the degrees. And yes, I'm in the trade. Have been for 36 years going
strong.

And yes, people can get hurt if you choose to install a device that,
utilizes inductive motors with windings that if not properly grounded can
kill. Particularly with the presence of water. Particularly with under
gauged wiring.

So if anyone's interested in a ductless unit, if you purchase and want to
install the equipment youself - please by all means read the instructions,
and when in doubt, call a professional.

--
Zyp

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in
:

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:3b237$46c77326$9440c41e$31044
@STARBAND.NET:

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in
:

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:d20de$46c71bc9$9440c41e$32431
@STARBAND.NET:

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in
news:20fc7$46c68bbd$9440c41e$14988 @STARBAND.NET:

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in

@STARBAND.NET:

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in
news:9b82c$46c5bdf0$9440c41e$27900 @STARBAND.NET:

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in news:5dc1c$46c46c8d
$9440c41e
$19580
@STARBAND.NET:

"Moe Jones" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
[...]

Yep, they are a little different. :-)

The liquid line sweating would be more than a little
different...

Why?
(All they did was move the metering device)

If it's liquid, it's not going to be sweating...

No ****...

Obviously if it is sweating then it's already expanded
some
degree.

You're a genius...

Now, I say again... the mini-splits are a little
different. That FACT hasn't changed from the last time I
posted it.

I'm a genius and I can tell that you suffer from a recto-
cranial
inversion.
How's that grab ya?

I see, most people do try and change the subject, when they
are
losing
the
current one.

No son, I didn't change the subject. I pointed out that your

reply
exhibited symptoms that conclusively demonstrate that your
head

is
firmly
up your ass. Pull it out, wipe the **** out of your eyes and
look
around
bit. Perhaps you'll realize that your opinions and statements
aren't
that
wonderful. Then again, perhaps your aren't equiped to
understand that.

The fact that you're not competent enough to understand my
post, really doesn't account for anything.

Son, you aren't even close to being qualified to assess my
competency.
You didn't even know why a liquid line sweating would be
impossible
and
had to ask. I've already told you once but here it is again: it

isn't
liquid if it's sweating. It's already been expanded, e.g. it's
gas.

No run on back to alt.hvac where your head-n-ass syndrome is

accepted
behavior.

Hey Dip****,

Have you ever worked on a mini-split?
Have you had any training on mini-split systems?

I already know the answer, so pay attention...

I never said the LL was sweating.

Yes, you did. What do you hope to gain by telling lies?

Then post it for all to see.... I won't be waiting, as I NEVER said

that,
Asshole!

Yes you did when you ask me why it was "different" for a liquid line to
sweat. You can try to deny your lie all you want but it is there for
all

see.

Oh my, PAY ATTENTION this time, Boy.

I stated, "Yep, they are a little different. :-)"

Then you posted, "The liquid line sweating would be more than a little
different..."

Then I stated, "Why?
(All they did was move the metering device)"

And that's where you blow it. It isn't a liquid line anymore. Clearly you
don't know understand what you're saying.

No, that's where you blow it, as I didn't say it was still a LL, Asshole!

Now here's where it gets a little difficult for mentally challenged
people, so pay extra attention to the details.

I said they (mini-splits) were a little different (then regular
residential splits).
You come back and say the liquid line sweating is more than a little
different.

Do you see it was YOU that stated it was still a LL and that it was
sweating?

Hardly son. I've always said that it is impossible for a liquid line to
sweat. No if's and's or but's.

Then you better get some more training. Cause it can and does happen.
(not that I'm saying it happens in this case, but your general statement is
incorrect)

Do you see where I then posted that they moved the metering device?

Can you understand that is a little different?
Do you see anywhere, where I called it a LL?
Most competent people are not having issues understanding this minor
detail.

Most residential split systems have a LL (small) and a SL
(larger). Normally, the only one that's insulated is the SL.
However, there are situations where the LL will be insulated.

Now, when you come to mini-splits. They have the same two copper

lines
(smaller and larger). However, since the metering device is in the
outdoor unit by the service valve, both lines will sweat. This
requires
both lines to be insulated.

This is a little different than the normal residential split
system ----- Just like I already stated TWICE.

Now, do you understand this?

And if your comeback is "I know HVAC", then please tell me another
difference between a normal split and a mini split.
Otherwise, STFU and learn something before spouting off to someone
with
more competence than you could even dream of having.

Son you still don't get it do you? If it is sweating it is not a
liquid line. Why do you insist on calling it one?

Again, where did I say it was a LL on the mini-split?

Get a clue, Dip****!

Now pull your head out of your anal orfice and admit that your
terminology
doesn't describe the physical system.

You better get some more training, your incompetence is showing.

Son, you are the one who doesn't even pay attention to what you type.
On top of that you make vain attempts to "prove" your knowledge when it
isn't even challenged. Now go back and read everything that has been
written. You'll see that all I said was a liquid line couldn't sweat
and that is true. You're the one trying to make a mountain out of a
mole hill.

Not true, you acted like a know-it-all that was out to prove me wrong.
But in the process, you found out that I know my **** and that you were
indeed in deep ****.
Now you want to disclaim the fact that YOU were the one with your head
up your ass.

Sorry Boy, that **** just doesn't cut the mustard.

You're clearly full of **** and feel the need to attack anyone who might
point out your lack of competence. Sorry but that's the way it is.

Lack of competence... Yeah, right.
I see where you clearly pass all my questions, because you CAN'T answer
them!
But, I figured as much, since you can't even comprehend this thread
correctly.

Is Stormy your brother?

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in
:

"Clark" wrote in message
"Zyp" wrote in
news:lZWdnXT74eDyGFrbnZ2dnUVZ_oKhnZ2d@championbroa dband.com:

Clark wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in
:

"Moe Jones" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Obviously if it is sweating then it's already expanded to
some degree.

You're a genius...

Now, I say again... the mini-splits are a little different.
That FACT hasn't changed from the last time I posted it.

I'm a genius and I can tell that you suffer from a
recto-cranial inversion. How's that grab ya?

I see, most people do try and change the subject, when they are
losing the current one.

No son, I didn't change the subject. I pointed out that your
reply exhibited symptoms that conclusively demonstrate that your
head is firmly up your ass. Pull it out, wipe the **** out of
your eyes and look around a bit. Perhaps you'll realize that
[...]

---
there should be a "sig" here

And actually "CLARK" - liquid lines "can" sweat when the subcooling
reaches a temperature below the dew point. And yes, they [the liquid
line] doesn't necessarily have to have adibiatic expansion to sweat.
Just meet the dew point. Which BTW is not that hard to do. You can
have a liquid line heat exchanger that uses suction gas to sub-cool
the line and as a result - sweat.

Har, har. You won't find an expensive heat exchanger on a mini-split.
Better look up the meaning of "sub-cool" while your looking for more
facts to argue with.

I know what sub-cool means, what happens when you don't have any?

Why did you pass up your chance to shine, Lucy?

So you are not on the mark that when you make a general statement
that the liquid line is sweating, which in the case of a mini-split
is not

I'm the one who said a liquid line wouldn't be sweating. Got it?

That's right, you called it a LL and said it won't be sweating.

No, I said that a liquid line wouldn't sweat. It's a subtle difference so
maybe you should get some help to understand it.

And WHERE did I call is a LL?
I didn't!

But understand this, a LL can and will sweat under the right conditions.

I posted that the manufacture's moved the metering device. That to most
competent techs, would mean something. But in your case, your left out
in left field without a clue.

what leaves the outdoor section BTW - it's actually a part of the
distributor feed heading to the evaporator. Calling it a liquid line
is actuall not accurate [there would be a 75% liquid / 25% vapor mix
in the small line and 100% vapor / gas in the large suction line.]

Your reading skills need work, son. I'm the one who said it couldn't be
a liquid line and jkpro asked why. OBTW, no one is going to run a

multi-phase
high pressure line so you're going to have to back up that claim with
some technical literature.

Wrong again, Dip****. I asked WHY you posted that it would make them
more than a little different. Pay attention!

No you didn't. You asked a question because you don't understand the
system.

No, I asked because you said they were more than a little different.
Try and keep up and get the facts straight.

I see you have no experience with mini-splits, yet your arguing about
the technicalities of one, nice!

And BTW you as well entered this discussion, you not event he O.P.
so go pound sand.

Don't tell me what to do dumb ass.

So tell me Zyp, why are you attempting to come to kjpro's rescue? I
mean it's obvious he needs help and all but why you? It seems to me
that you

are
going way out of your way to embarrass yourself while trying to support
a fellow nobody on the internet.

I don't need help, in fact you're the one that's lacking to prove your
point.
Zyp, on the other hand, called you on your bull****, just like I did.
Too bad for you, you're out of your league to answer the questions that
have been asked of you.

Side step the ones I posted today, will only be more proof that you're
an incompetent wanta-bee.

You clearly have not clue. I've pointed out your ignorance and
incompetence. Nothing you can do about it but run around in circles and
deny. Sorry but that's just the way it is.

And you're so competent, that you run around and side-step ALL of the
questions I ask to you. Which, BTW,doesn't mean I don't know the answers.
That's a pure sign that you don't know your head from a hole in the ground.
Go ahead and run around and spew your **** all over, I'll make sure that I
point out your incompetence.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
My point is that being a low voltage circuit to the blower unit makes it a
simple installation, more so than having to run a line voltage and control
circuit. It's still an 18/4 cable albeit not CL-2. Truth of the matter is
the installation I saw was done by a large union "HVAC professional"
company.
The reason I post here is to try to give useful advice to homeowners and
do-it-yourself folks that request it. I do this as a seasoned professional
in my particular field, as do many others. Since your advice to folks

seems
to be to call a professional, why exactly do you post here?

Just what kind of BULL**** are you trying to pass here?

You come in here and asked a question about installing a mini-split system.

Now, you want us to believe that you're a seasoned professional????

LMAO

Yeah, and I bet you have some land in FL for sale, right?

The fact is, you want to install something which you don't have the training
to do. You come in here and asked a question. You didn't get the answer you
was looking for, then you try and side-step your **** and now act like a
professional. Yet you want to disregard the manufacture's installation
instructions. Sorry, that just doesn't fly.

You're just another dumb-ass homeowner that wants it done CHEAP!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Clearly, you're more confused than I thought. I'm not the OP

Well, **** a duck. LOL :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:49:02 -0500, kjpro wrote:

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Clearly, you're more confused than I thought. I'm not the OP

Well, **** a duck. LOL :-)

Nice job meheh heh heh. Hey wasn't it you accusing others in this very
thread of not being able to read threads? Need some help getting that foot
out of your mouth?

ROTFLMAO!

Do you see me arguing with his above facts?

Geez, you really need to get a clue, Dip****!

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

Do you see me arguing with his above facts?

No way to argue your self out of a foot up the ass

Guess what, the real facts that are on-topic, is that the stat wire is still
unacceptable by the manufacture.

Geez, you really need to get a clue, Dip****!

Not as bad as you need www.911.clue

Look who's talking, a walking Baboon. LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You must have missed the part in the wiring to the inside unit where it
specifies using 18 gauge 4 conductor cable. Those aren't my specs, they're
LGs

"Zyp" wrote in message
newsaSdnTf92KnFtVfbnZ2dnUVZ_hynnZ2d@championbroa dband.com...
RBM wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
You must have missed the part in the wiring to the inside unit where it
specifies using 18 gauge 4 conductor cable. Those aren't my specs, they're
LGs

That doesn't mean you can use thermostat wiring.

That's the whole point.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 00:13:48 -0500, kjpro wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

Do you see me arguing with his above facts?

No way to argue your self out of a foot up the ass

Guess what, the real facts that are on-topic, is that the stat wire is

still
unacceptable by the manufacture.

The real facts is?

You're an incompetent troll.

Geez, you really need to get a clue, Dip****!

Not as bad as you need www.911.clue

Look who's talking, a walking Baboon. LOL

I have no doubt that any baboon could be trained to write far more
lucent and coherent sentences that you would ever be capable of...heh

Wow, you used the same word as I, Baboon. That was original... LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message

Your reading skills need work, son. I'm the one who said it couldn't

be
a liquid line and jkpro asked why. OBTW, no one is going to run a
multi-phase
high pressure line so you're going to have to back up that claim

with
some technical literature.

Wrong again, Dip****. I asked WHY you posted that it would make them
more than a little different. Pay attention!

No you didn't. You asked a question because you don't understand the
system.

No, I asked because you said they were more than a little different.
Try and keep up and get the facts straight.

My facts are straight, son. You clearly don't know what's going on now.

Wrong again, think what you wish... but I never ONCE called it a LL on the
mini-split.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

The real facts is? [snip added back] I see English isn't your main

language is it?

You're an incompetent troll.

Since I brought you reply back into context it makes even less sense you
illiterate moron.

You're asking if English is my first language, yet you post...

"Since I brought you reply back into context it makes even less sense you
illiterate moron."

That's just too funny... LOL

Geez, you really need to get a clue, Dip****!

Not as bad as you need www.911.clue

Look who's talking, a walking Baboon. LOL

I have no doubt that any baboon could be trained to write far more
lucent and coherent sentences that you would ever be capable of...heh

Wow, you used the same word as I, Baboon. That was original... LOL

Let's see, you used these same words ( I, you, that) that I did, imbecile.
Got something "original" to say? heh

You're as stupid as a rock.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:30:31 -0500, kjpro wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

The real facts is? [snip added back] I see English isn't your main

language is it?

You're an incompetent troll.

Since I brought you reply back into context it makes even less sense

you
illiterate moron.

You're asking if English is my first language, yet you post..

"Since I brought you reply back into context it makes even less sense

you
illiterate moron."

That's just too funny... LOL

Yeh a typo should be funny to an illiterate one trick ****wit like you who
posts such grammatical nonsense as "The real facts is."
snicker

You were the one making grammar comments...
It's funny, how now, you want to pass that off as a little mistake.
Next time, I suggest you make sure your **** is correct, Dip****!

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

Your choice of words "the real facts is"
My typo "you for your"

The difference my illiterate imbecilic friend is that you chose those
words and committed the grammatical error consciously. My typo was spawn
from the fact that I type 80 words per minute and my "r" key sometimes
does not register a keystroke. The only error I made was to not proof read
what I wrote. Since my accuracy is up in the 90's, I frequently send
without proof reading. Typos are a fact of life for those of us who type
fast. However you simpering nincompoop, errors in grammar by people like
you who hammer on others over the mistakes they make are just a little of
that negative Karma coming back your way, pal. Get used to it there will
be much, much more coming your way unless you drop the holier than thou
attitude.

Feel free to have the last word here (that is if you can string together a
group of words that actually makes some sense.)

What's really funny, is that you're the one who used the phrase...

"the real facts is"

You'll also see where I posted...

"the real facts that are on-topic"

Here is the quoted post... MORON!!!!!! LOL

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

Do you see me arguing with his above facts?

No way to argue your self out of a foot up the ass

Guess what, the real facts that are on-topic, is that the stat wire is

still
unacceptable by the manufacture.

The real facts is? I see English isn't your main language is it?

You better start removing that foot, before you choke... LMAO

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Clark" wrote in message

More lies...