Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Installation of a Ductless Mini-Split System?

You must have missed the part in the wiring to the inside unit where it
specifies using 18 gauge 4 conductor cable. Those aren't my specs, they're
LGs

"Zyp" wrote in message
newsaSdnTf92KnFtVfbnZ2dnUVZ_hynnZ2d@championbroa dband.com...
RBM wrote:
My point is that being a low voltage circuit to the blower unit makes
it a simple installation, more so than having to run a line voltage
and control circuit. It's still an 18/4 cable albeit not CL-2. Truth
of the matter is the installation I saw was done by a large union
"HVAC professional" company.
The reason I post here is to try to give useful advice to homeowners
and do-it-yourself folks that request it. I do this as a seasoned
professional in my particular field, as do many others. Since your
advice to folks seems to be to call a professional, why exactly do
you post here?

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
In my book, if it's under 600 volt, which is standard building
wire, it's thermostat wire, waterproof or not

Then by all means, be a hack...

Hell, while you're at it, you might as well do the whole installation
wrong.
That way, when the equipment fails, you can blame the manufacture,
Eh? This whole thread is nothing but a waste of space.
I don't even know why you posted on the subject, if you're not going
to take
advice from the Professionals.

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
One of them is : LMU240CE

Directly from their installations instructions...

"Use outdoor and waterproof connection cable rated more than 300V
for the connection between indoor and outdoor unit. (For example,
Type SJO-WA)" That's not standard 18/4 thermostat wire!
That's one of the reason's you need to hire a competent HVAC
technician to install your mini-split system!

Well RBM, since you mentioned it, posting to folks to use 18 ga. for this
application is incorrect. I post *once in awhile* to help folks as well.
I would not recommend that DIY's do air conditioning and refrigeration
work, since it is hazardous. It can kill. That's why you don't usually
find HVAC equipment available at your local Home DIY center. It is a
silent killer if not properly installed. And yes, I have the training,
the certificiations and the degrees. And yes, I'm in the trade. Have
been for 36 years going strong.

And yes, people can get hurt if you choose to install a device that,
utilizes inductive motors with windings that if not properly grounded can
kill. Particularly with the presence of water. Particularly with under
gauged wiring.

So if anyone's interested in a ductless unit, if you purchase and want to
install the equipment youself - please by all means read the instructions,
and when in doubt, call a professional.

--
Zyp