User Example

Default Mini Split A/C installation

I am installing a mini-split A/C system. Well, everything except for
actually hooking up the refrigerant lines. Tomorrow I will hook up the
electrical wiring. I have a question though. Can I just wire it up to
a circuit breaker in my house? Or do I need to install a circuit
breaker near the mini-split unit? My central A/C compressors have
disconnects outside the house by them. I don't know what the code is.
I can handle the wiring part but I just don't know what the codes are
for those kinds of things.

RWS

I see others have answered the question but I got one for you. I have
considered a mini-split for a home office on second floor that I can
*just* keep cool with a portable AC. House has central air. Bad
thing is the noise. How difficult has the install been? What kind
did you go for? Any problems that had that were not forseen? I have
read most manufactures information on mini-splits and don't see any
big problems with install that I can't except the refrigerant lines
but I am sure that can be solved with a phone call.
Thanks

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 00:00:36 GMT, User Example
wrote:

I am installing a mini-split A/C system. Well, everything except for
actually hooking up the refrigerant lines. Tomorrow I will hook up the
electrical wiring. I have a question though. Can I just wire it up to
a circuit breaker in my house? Or do I need to install a circuit
breaker near the mini-split unit? My central A/C compressors have
disconnects outside the house by them. I don't know what the code is.
I can handle the wiring part but I just don't know what the codes are
for those kinds of things.

User Example

Ebay has mini-splits with good prices. I got a 24000 BTU unit from and
outfit called Bonair Depot. They are advertised for $849 but they have
an option to offer a best price. I offered $750 and got it. Shipping
was about $150 so around $900 total.

I am waiting for an A/C guy to connect the freon lines but everything
else is ready. I turned on the inside unit to see how loud it was and
it was quiet. I also had a portable unit and the mini-split is a lot
quieter than that. It shouldn't cost more than $100 to have the A/C
guys come out and hook up the freon lines. It's only a 20 minute job so
should cost even less but I know how A/C guys are so I am not counting
on it.

The install was straight forward. I had to mount a bracket on the wall
for the inside unit. Had to pour a slab of concrete for the outside
unit. Had to do a little wiring. Had to make a hole in a brick wall.
Sounds like a lot but it was all really easy and went smoothly. I'll
have to do a little sheet rock patching but I have textured walls so it
is easy to do that and make it look like nothing ever happened.

wrote:

I am installing a mini-split A/C system. Well, everything except for
actually hooking up the refrigerant lines. Tomorrow I will hook up the
electrical wiring. I have a question though. Can I just wire it up to
a circuit breaker in my house? Or do I need to install a circuit
breaker near the mini-split unit? My central A/C compressors have
disconnects outside the house by them. I don't know what the code is.
I can handle the wiring part but I just don't know what the codes are
for those kinds of things.

Stretch

It should take longer than 20 minutes to hook up lines. He should also
pull a vacuum on the inside unit and lines to remove air & moisture.
If the lines are long he may have to adjust charge.

So allow a little more time than that.

Stretch

Richard J Kinch

Stretch writes:

He should also
pull a vacuum on the inside unit and lines to remove air & moisture.
If the lines are long he may have to adjust charge.

Don't these things come pre-charged and don't need evacuation?
User Example

He should also
pull a vacuum on the inside unit and lines to remove air & moisture.
If the lines are long he may have to adjust charge.

Don't these things come pre-charged and don't need evacuation?

The outside unit is precharged. The inside unit is pressurized with an
inert gas. The lines just have plastic plugs on the ends to keep out
dirt. So, the lines and indoor unit have to be evacuated first.
Stretch

Don't these things come pre-charged and don't need evacuation?

They come precharged for a standard line length, If the lines are
longer or shorter than the standard length, usually 15 feet, the charge
needs adjusted.

You may want him to make sure it is working OK as well.

Stretch

hvactech2

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 06:48:22 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Stretch writes:

He should also
pull a vacuum on the inside unit and lines to remove air & moisture.
If the lines are long he may have to adjust charge.

Don't these things come pre-charged and don't need evacuation?

No. you need to evacuate the lines and evap.
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail