Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 1990 Dixon 503

I have a Dixon 503 with a 20 HP Onan. I was having difficulty getting
it started so I took the carburator apart and cleaned it because it
had a bunch of what looked like varnish in it. I also cleaned out the
fuel tanks and fuel lines. Now the engine starts and runs, good
enough to mow, but does not have the power that it used to have. I am
afraid that when I put the carb back together I may have some of the
ports installed inproperly. Does anyone know how to adjust the carb
on that Onan? Specifically if there are any requirements that I need
to be aware of with the two port tubes that can be removed?

One more symptom to consider. When it is running, it is running very
rich, and I actually ran it out of gas today. Just before it ran out
of gas, it seemed to get a big power boost and ran like a champ for
about 10-15 seconds, then it ran out of gas.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
[...]

http://www.dixon-ztr.com/manuals.php...8984b638 3d71

Should let you download manuals.

Sounds like you do have way too rich. No way to tell if you put
multiple ports back wrong or not from here. If they're interchangeable,
guess one way to try is to swap them in case you did.

Normally, on most small engine carbs if you start w/ mixture and idle
screws full in and back them out 1-1/2 to two turns you're in a good
enough ballpark for it to start and run and you can adjust from there.

Another possibility if it's way rich is you still have a speck of dirt
preventing the float needle valve from closing or it isn't seating
tightly. Or the float could be adjust too high...