Default OT, 1990 Mustang rack and pinion.

I have a power steerring fluid leak coming from the rack and pinion.
Can just the seals or somethign be replaced in the rack? Is this hard
to do?

The dealer wants 217 bucks for the rack. Autozone wants 90 but I am
leary of autozone on some things.

Is this hard to do? I have never replaced a rack and pinion before but
have done about everything else.

Waynemak

The rack in my sable went, the dealer charged $700 total. That is a part
that to me should last for a long time. My car was in an accident before I
bought it and that my have had something to do with it failing. If you do
change it make sure you flush the system real good if not you might be doing
it twice.
"wws" wrote in message ...
wrote:

I have a power steerring fluid leak coming from the rack and pinion.
Can just the seals or somethign be replaced in the rack?

No
Is this hard
to do?

Yes

The dealer wants 217 bucks for the rack. Autozone wants 90 but I am
leary of autozone on some things.

Check the brand and warranty

Is this hard to do? I have never replaced a rack and pinion before but
have done about everything else.

Some of it is

Read the book

MM

You can buy rebuilt units, so that means they can be disassembled. It also
means there "might" ba a rebuild kit available. If I remember right, it's a
rack/power steering cylinder composite. Things to look for (besides the
obvious seals) are wear on the rack and pinion gear.

If you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to determine how it's
assembled by looking at it. It may require special tools (like pin spanner
wrenches)

How brave are you ????

Mark

oups.com...