DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT, 1990 Mustang rack and pinion. (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/116282-ot-1990-mustang-rack-pinion.html)

[email protected] August 8th 05 07:11 PM

OT, 1990 Mustang rack and pinion.

I have a power steerring fluid leak coming from the rack and pinion.
Can just the seals or somethign be replaced in the rack? Is this hard
to do?

The dealer wants 217 bucks for the rack. Autozone wants 90 but I am
leary of autozone on some things.

Is this hard to do? I have never replaced a rack and pinion before but
have done about everything else.

wws August 8th 05 08:31 PM

wrote:

I have a power steerring fluid leak coming from the rack and pinion.
Can just the seals or somethign be replaced in the rack?

No
Is this hard
to do?

Yes

The dealer wants 217 bucks for the rack. Autozone wants 90 but I am
leary of autozone on some things.

Check the brand and warranty

Is this hard to do? I have never replaced a rack and pinion before but
have done about everything else.

Some of it is

Read the book

Waynemak August 9th 05 02:15 AM

The rack in my sable went, the dealer charged $700 total. That is a part
that to me should last for a long time. My car was in an accident before I
bought it and that my have had something to do with it failing. If you do
change it make sure you flush the system real good if not you might be doing
it twice.

MM August 9th 05 07:56 PM

You can buy rebuilt units, so that means they can be disassembled. It also
means there "might" ba a rebuild kit available. If I remember right, it's a
rack/power steering cylinder composite. Things to look for (besides the
obvious seals) are wear on the rack and pinion gear.

If you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to determine how it's
assembled by looking at it. It may require special tools (like pin spanner
wrenches)

How brave are you ????

Mark

oups.com...

Joseph Crabtree August 9th 05 08:49 PM

wrote:

I have a power steerring fluid leak coming from the rack and pinion.
Can just the seals or somethign be replaced in the rack? Is this hard
to do?

The dealer wants 217 bucks for the rack. Autozone wants 90 but I am
leary of autozone on some things.

Is this hard to do? I have never replaced a rack and pinion before but
have done about everything else.

I just looked the labor up in a referance manual.. calls for 2.8 hrs
labor....does not include alignment.
It has been my experience that the moving shaft(rack) is steel is
inside an aluminium housing. The shaft
wears the housing oval shaped, then moves side to side enough to damage
the seals. The reman. units have
been bored and sleeved with steel inserts so that problem doesn't happen
again. Don't buy AutoZone, they
give you a lifetime warranty and don't care how many times you have to
replace it to get a good one.
If you buy the cheapest part, you get the cheapest part. Flush the
system when you change rack, or
you get to do it again.

Joe