Junior Member

Question 1990 Sharp TV; vertical is way exagerated

We have a Sharp Linytron 25RC169 TV mfg in 9/1990. It's been good and faithful, but a week or so ago all of a sudden the vertical dimension of the image appears to be stretched twice bigger than it should be, though horizontal appears to be a proper fit on the screen. This is the same whether on broadcast or VCR sourcing. I am just good enough soldering to be dangerous to myself, and am old enough to remember taking tubes down to the local drug store to test them. Anyone able to throw any step by step ideas other than take it in, as right now finances make that not-an-option. This is one of two sets I am seeking help on, the second I will post tomorrow when I am awake...
sofie

bemc:
Faulty circuitry in and around vertical output chip circuitry and/or
faulty chip or other related parts.... diodes, resistors, high ESR
electrolytics, etc. Most probably faulty, dry, high ESR electrolytics...
without an ESR meter you can only guess.
Standard testing and troubleshooting procedures will diagnose this
specifically.
You may want to go to the website for this newsgroup at
http://www.repairfaq.org
there with some searching you will find helpful information ... or
TAKE it to a repair shop for at the very least a repair cost estimate so you
can make an intelligent repair decision with facts instead of internet or
telephone wild guesses. This is usually a very economical and
straightforward repair at most shops.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"bemc" wrote in message

We have a Sharp Linytron 25RC169 TV mfg in 9/1990. It's been good and
faithful, but a week or so ago all of a sudden the vertical dimension
of the image appears to be stretched twice bigger than it should be,
though horizontal appears to be a proper fit on the screen. This is the
same whether on broadcast or VCR sourcing. I am just good enough
soldering to be dangerous to myself, and am old enough to remember
taking tubes down to the local drug store to test them. Anyone able to
throw any step by step ideas other than take it in, as right now
finances make that not-an-option. This is one of two sets I am seeking
help on, the second I will post tomorrow when I am awake...

--
bemc

JohnAce

Look for some leaking Capacitors around the Vertical IC,, Maybe 1 uf or 2,2uf .
Their are only a couple