Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cable TV and coax splitters

Hi All,

Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the
cross space has a total of 5 ports.

1. Comcast in
2. Cable modem
3. TV
4. TV
5. TV/DVR

I would like to add an additional TV.

Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?

Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?

Any input would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 8:43 am, Brent Bolin wrote:
Hi All,

Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the
cross space has a total of 5 ports.

1. Comcast in
2. Cable modem
3. TV
4. TV
5. TV/DVR

I would like to add an additional TV.

Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?

Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?

Any input would be appreciated.

Hi,

You may be interested in a Cable TV amp. I bought one on Ebay. The is
a guy with a shop there called "Cable TV Amps". The one I bought is an
Electroline 8100. It has one input and eight outputs. It will boost
your signal. Also the other nice thing about it is that it is two way.
What I mean by "two way" is that signals from your cable modem for
internet stuff and TV controller box will pass though O.K. and back
onto the Comcast network.

Best, Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
Brent Bolin wrote:

Hi All,

Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the
cross space has a total of 5 ports.

1. Comcast in
2. Cable modem
3. TV
4. TV
5. TV/DVR

I would like to add an additional TV.

Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?

Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?

Any input would be appreciated.

What's a cross space? Anyway, you have too many TVs already. Go get a
ping pong table or a croquet set instead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
hobbes wrote:

You may be interested in a Cable TV amp. I bought one on Ebay. The is
a guy with a shop there called "Cable TV Amps".

With Brighthouse they just came out and put it in. No charge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brent Bolin wrote:
Hi All,

Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the
cross space has a total of 5 ports.

1. Comcast in
2. Cable modem
3. TV
4. TV
5. TV/DVR

I would like to add an additional TV.

Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?

Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?

Any input would be appreciated.

Chances are that you could just add another (make that a high quality)
splitter to address your issue. In some cases you ma need an amplified
splitter if the signal is weak.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 8:12 am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article . com,
Brent Bolin wrote:

Hi All,

Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the
cross space has a total of 5 ports.

1. Comcast in
2. Cable modem
3. TV
4. TV
5. TV/DVR

I would like to add an additional TV.

Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?

Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?

Any input would be appreciated.

What's a cross space? Anyway, you have too many TVs already. Go get a
ping pong table or a croquet set instead.

That would be two many words before the first cup of coffee.

Ping pong ?

I compile open source applications for fun

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 8:39 am, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
Brent Bolin wrote:
Hi All,

Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the
cross space has a total of 5 ports.

1. Comcast in
2. Cable modem
3. TV
4. TV
5. TV/DVR

I would like to add an additional TV.

Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?

Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?

Any input would be appreciated.

Chances are that you could just add another (make that a high quality)
splitter to address your issue. In some cases you ma need an amplified
splitter if the signal is weak.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

This is the direction I was thinking. I suppose it's all relative to
the signal strength that I currently have. Have not had any problems
to date.

There has been some discussion in this thread about amplifiers. Do
amplifiers need an external power source ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brent Bolin wrote:
[...]

They do. Keep in mind that an amplifier is going to amplify the noise as
well as the signal. So if you use one, put it as close to the service
entrance as possible. Every time you split a signal, you're going to
lose strength and introduce noise. If you're happy with the picture you
have now, I doubt that one more split will degrade it noticeably. Use a
terminator on any unused outputs from splitters.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news

Brent Bolin wrote:
[...]

Your local cable company has the ability to adjust the signal strength that
they feed to you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 9:40 am, "EXT" wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news

Brent Bolin wrote:
[...]

they feed to you.- Hide quoted text -

I'd first try splitting one of the tv signals again. If the picture
is OK, you're good to go. And if you do add an amplifier, make sure
it's bi-directional and compatilbe with a modem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brent Bolin wrote:

Hi All,

Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the
cross space has a total of 5 ports.

1. Comcast in
2. Cable modem
3. TV
4. TV
5. TV/DVR

I would like to add an additional TV.

Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?

Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?

Any input would be appreciated.

You need to get a two way splitter (3 ports and preferably a quality one
from the cable company) and a short coax cable. Connect the incoming
cable to the input of this two way splitter (yes the port labeled input
makes a difference). Move the feed to the cable modem to one output of
the two way splitter. Connect the input to the four way splitter to the
other output of the two way splitter. Connect new TV to the port on the
four way splitter freed by the cable modem connection.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Aug 2, 9:40 am, "EXT" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news

Brent Bolin wrote:

[...]

In y experience I never had trouble with weakened signal by spliting.
Rather cable co. seems to feed too strong signal to begin with all the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 06:10:38 -0700, hobbes
wrote:

[...]

It would be best to split off the cable modem before an amplifier
(cable modems need a bidirectional connection, and may not work well
with an amplified one). That is, the first thing on the incoming cable
should be a 2-way splitter with one output going directly yo the cable
modem. Then you can connect the 4-way splitter to the other output.

Do you have digital cable?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 10:56 am, "Pete C." wrote:
Brent Bolin wrote:

[...]

Pete C.- Hide quoted text -

This is the correct way to make your connections. No need for an
AMP.

paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Brent Bolin" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All,

Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the
cross space has a total of 5 ports.

1. Comcast in
2. Cable modem
3. TV
4. TV
5. TV/DVR

I would like to add an additional TV.

Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?

NO!

Take one of your TV's off and add another splitter.

Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?

Yes. Every time you split the signal you will have some loss. Whether or not
it's noticable depends on the signal and hardware you use.

Any input would be appreciated.

You do not want to add any more loss before your cable modem. A six way
splitter will cause more loss to all the devices connected to it.

Also you do NOT want to use an amplifier as they also amplify noise and
usually block return signals, breaking the cable modem connection.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 10:41:58 -0700, Paul Flansburg
wrote:

On Aug 2, 10:56 am, "Pete C." wrote:
Brent Bolin wrote:

[...]

A too strong signal can be just as bad as a weak one.

paul

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 10:37:34 -0500, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

no, get a two way and put it in the existing tv line.

I think the two way should come first, so the signal to the cable
modem has to pass through only one splitter.

"Brent Bolin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the
cross space has a total of 5 ports.

1. Comcast in
2. Cable modem
3. TV
4. TV
5. TV/DVR

I would like to add an additional TV.

Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?

Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?

Any input would be appreciated.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 18:14:58 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

[...]

That's why I suggested putting the 2 way FIRST.

Also you do NOT want to use an amplifier as they also amplify noise and
usually block return signals, breaking the cable modem connection.

An amplifier may be desirable, but try it without one at first. Don't
put an amplifier on the cable modem signal.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Aug 2, 10:56 am, "Pete C." wrote:
Brent Bolin wrote:

[...]

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy- Hide quoted text -

What do you know about adjusting the up and down stream in a cable
plant....My guess NOTHING. The cable plant is designed to hit the
house @ 0dbm. The cable modem has a input range of +/-6.0dbm. So,
setting up the splitters as suggested is the correcty way.

-paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Aug 2, 10:56 am, "Pete C." wrote:
Brent Bolin wrote:

[...]

-paul- Hide quoted text -

I'm sorry....I was thinking of something else. The cable modem has a
range of +/-15dbm. Senior moment, I tend to get them this late in the
day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Aug 2, 10:56 am, "Pete C." wrote:
Brent Bolin wrote:

[...]

And the upstream losses to the cable modem if it has to transmit through
a string of splitters is a significant issue as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 12:43:18 -0000, Brent Bolin
wrote:

Hi All,

Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the
cross space has a total of 5 ports.

1. Comcast in
2. Cable modem
3. TV
4. TV
5. TV/DVR

I would like to add an additional TV.

Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?

Not the best idea. Comccast gave you the splitter, right, and is
responsible for the quality of your computer feed.

Also iirc I think the output for the computer is different from the
output for the tv's and you'd have to find one that had the special
comnputer output.

Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?

Any splitter reduces signal strenght, but all tv's and radios have
Automatic Gain Control (In radios, where this was first invented,
it's called Automatic Volume Control). If the signal is stronger than
it should be, the AGC reduces the amplification anyhow. So a weaker
signal with more amplification inside the tv is just as good as a
stronger signal with less amplification inside the tv.

You only have to be concerned AFTER you look at the tv and the picture
is not as good as it used to be.

All you need is a simple two in one splitter, which you can put just
past the splitter you have now, or closer to the two tvs.

You can generally get two splitters in a row before the signal is too
weak. The third splitter in series usually has to be an amplifier
(which must be plugged in and which uses electricity). But if the
second splitter, the one you are about to add, makes the picture
inferior, you can replace it with an amp. Don't worry, you'll still
be able to watch it until you get to Radio Shack.

Any input would be appreciated.

I thought you were worried about output.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

On Aug 2, 8:43 am, Brent Bolin wrote:
Hi All,

Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the
cross space has a total of 5 ports.

1. Comcast in
2. Cable modem
3. TV
4. TV
5. TV/DVR

I would like to add an additional TV.

Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?

Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?

Any input would be appreciated.

,,,,

It would be best to split off the cable modem before an amplifier
(cable modems need a bidirectional connection, and may not work well
with an amplified one). That is, the first thing on the incoming cable
should be a 2-way splitter with one output going directly yo the cable
modem.

Right, but note that he already has that.

Then you can connect the 4-way splitter to the other output.

Do you have digital cable?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 07:08:51 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

Use a
terminator on any unused outputs from splitters.

Oh, yeah. Important.

I forgot that because I increased one at at a time and never had any
unusued outputs.

And you need to buy or make a short piece to feed the splitter.

Or if you cut a cable and want to put ends on each end, you need some
ends and a special pair of pliers. They have two hex shaped holes
looking from the side when they are closed, one hole bigger than the
other. They come in two qualities and the cheap ones are good enough.
Read the insturctions about attaching the ends.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

no, get a two way and put it in the existing tv line.

I think the two way should come first, so the signal to the cable
modem has to pass through only one splitter.

I think by two-way, he meant two outputs (and one input), not a
bidirectional output.

So I think you would agree it should come after the splitter that is
there now.

"Brent Bolin" wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi All,

Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the
cross space has a total of 5 ports.

1. Comcast in
2. Cable modem
3. TV
4. TV
5. TV/DVR

I would like to add an additional TV.

Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?

Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?

Any input would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
On Aug 2, 10:56 am, "Pete C." wrote:
Brent Bolin wrote:

[...]

As I see it, the problem isn't that you made a mistake, whether
because of a senior moment or anything else.

What deserved an apology ("I'm sorry") was telling someone he knew
NOTHING, when he had not only been polite to you, he hadn't even
contradicted you. (I think he had agreed with you.)

Otoh, I'm not totally against being rude on the net. For some people,
it probably vents anger that would otherwise be turned against someone
right in front of the angry person. If that would mean hitting
someone, hostility on the Net is a better thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Aug 2, 8:43 am, Brent Bolin wrote:
Hi All,

Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the
cross space has a total of 5 ports.

1. Comcast in
2. Cable modem
3. TV
4. TV
5. TV/DVR

I would like to add an additional TV.

Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?

Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?

Any input would be appreciated.
,,,,

It would be best to split off the cable modem before an amplifier
(cable modems need a bidirectional connection, and may not work well
with an amplified one). That is, the first thing on the incoming cable
should be a 2-way splitter with one output going directly to the cable
modem.

Right, but note that he already has that.

Maybe you got confused about the difference between a "2-way splitter"
and a "bidirectional amp". These things aren't even close to being
equivalent.

Then you can connect the 4-way splitter

another clue to your mistake
]
to the other output.

Do you have digital cable?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

[...]

If he has a splitter in the cross space with the labels Comcast in and
Cable Modem, it is a bidirectional splitter, no? His computer is
working, or he would have mentioned that.

So as you recommend above, he does split off to the cable modem before
adding any other things such as an amplifier, since that's the only
gadget he has now.

Then you can connect the 4-way splitter

another clue to your mistake

Not to me. You seem to want to split the comuputer off twice in a
row.

I get it. You think some amateur labeled the splitter he has now, or
that it's not labeled at all.. I think if his computer works, it has
a port labeled Cable modem.

The OP hasn't posted since this morning, so I think the answer remains
unknown.
]
to the other output.

Do you have digital cable?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Splitters are always bidirectional. I used the word to refer to an
AMPLIFIER, which often isn't.

So as you recommend above, he does split off to the cable modem before
adding any other things such as an amplifier, since that's the only
gadget he has now.

I said with a TWO output splitter (reducing loss at the cable modem).
I also said to connect an amplifier (or 4-way splitter) to THE OTHER
output of that TWO output splitter. Those 4 outputs go to the TVs.
This is NOT the same is the 4-way splitter coming first.

Then you can connect the 4-way splitter

another clue to your mistake

Not to me. You seem to want to split the comuputer off twice in a
row.

What???

For the reading-impaired:

|----------| cable
(cable in) | 2-way |------modem
------------| splitter |
|----------| | (if | |splitter|-- TV/DVR
| needed) | |--------|-- TV
|---------|

A lot like my setup. BTW, the cable internet works very well.

I get it. You think some amateur labeled the splitter he has now, or
that it's not labeled at all..

A splitter has an input and two or more outputs. Perhaps you're
confusing "splitter" and "amplifier", and shouldn't be doing this.

I think if his computer works, it has
a port labeled Cable modem.

Why should a port be labeled "cable modem"? It's just an output like
any other.

The OP hasn't posted since this morning, so I think the answer remains
unknown.
]
to the other output.

Do you have digital cable?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Aug 2, 10:56 am, "Pete C." wrote:
Brent Bolin wrote:

[...]

a string of splitters is a significant issue as well.- Hide quoted text -

The upstream on the cable modem is much more complicated than the
downstream. The signal is constantly being adjusted due to all
conditions. If you change the attenuation in the upstream, the modem
and the reciever will adjust for it. Now, with everthing there are
limits.

-paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

no, get a two way and put it in the existing tv line.

I think the two way should come first, so the signal to the cable
modem has to pass through only one splitter.

But that could throw off a marginal signal to the modem.

A two way splitter will not have the same effect as the existing 4 way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's why I suggested putting the 2 way FIRST.

And that would be wrong. A two way splitter has 3.5db of loss to each
output. A four way has 7db of loss to each output. No idea how much loss
there is in a five way... 7 on three taps and 10 on two?

By moving the modem onto a two way splitter, you're hitting the modem
3.5db's hotter and that could be enough to knock it offline.

Bottom line is don't change it if you don't have to.

Also you do NOT want to use an amplifier as they also amplify noise and
usually block return signals, breaking the cable modem connection.

An amplifier may be desirable, but try it without one at first. Don't
put an amplifier on the cable modem signal.

An amp is never desireable. If the signal in is really that bad then the
cable company should be troubleshooting it. THEY will install an amp if it's
needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 3, 1:49 pm, "Noozer" wrote:
That's why I suggested putting the 2 way FIRST.

And that would be wrong. A two way splitter has 3.5db of loss to each
output. A four way has 7db of loss to each output. No idea how much loss
there is in a five way... 7 on three taps and 10 on two?

By moving the modem onto a two way splitter, you're hitting the modem
3.5db's hotter and that could be enough to knock it offline.

Bottom line is don't change it if you don't have to.

Also you do NOT want to use an amplifier as they also amplify noise and
usually block return signals, breaking the cable modem connection.

An amplifier may be desirable, but try it without one at first. Don't
put an amplifier on the cable modem signal.

An amp is never desireable. If the signal in is really that bad then the
cable company should be troubleshooting it. THEY will install an amp if it's
needed.

Thanks all for your input. Now you've really confusing me with the
facts. Guess I just need to buy a new house.

Kidding

Cable in -- 2-way-splitter . One leg of that goes to the cable
modem. Use whatever I decide size splitter on the other leg

Done deal.

tku

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article VMKsi.27173$fJ5.17820@pd7urf1no,
"Noozer" wrote:
An amp is never desireable. If the signal in is really that bad then the
cable company should be troubleshooting it. THEY will install an amp if it's
needed.

Wouldn't an amp be reasonable in the following situation?

Cable comes in, and there is a splitter in the attic. Signal is
fairly good coming into this splitter.

One branch goes to the computer room. The signal there is fine.

Other branch goes to the living room, where it goes to another
splitter which I have not located, and the cable guy also failed
to locate, and from there goes to two outlets in the living room.

This second splitter seems to be a not particularly good splitter,
so the signal is borderline between fair and good in the living
room.

Couldn't an amp be used between the two splitters, to boost the good
signal coming out of the first splitter to compensate for the loss in
the second splitter?

Not that I actually need it. Although the cable box reports the signal
as fair most of the time, bordering on good, and occasionally dipping to
poor, and the cable installer thought, when he used his meter, that it
was too low to work and was surprised when I got a picture, in fact it
has worked flawlessly for the 3.5 months I've been in this place. All
channels are fine, including HD channels and channels using surround
sound, and on-demand is fine, and my modem gets up to 20 mbit/second
with PowerBoost. When watching the signal monitoring page, I've never
seen an uncorrectable error reported, and only see an occasional
correctable error reported. So my inclination is to just leave things
as they are.

--
--Tim Smith

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:
They do. Keep in mind that an amplifier is going to amplify the noise as
well as the signal. So if you use one, put it as close to the service

Does anyone make a cable signal regenerator? At least for areas where
cable is all digital, it seems to me that it should be possible to make
a device that takes an incoming cable signal, which consists of an
analog signal modulated in such a way as to encode digital data, and
extract that digital data, and then encode that on a newly-generated
analog signal to send out the outputs. This would not be amplifying the
noise. It wouldn't help in the case where you've got a bad signal
coming in, but in the case where the signal is strong enough to work
with a cable box or modem at the point of entrance, but just isn't
strong enough to survive splitters or long cable runs, it would be fine.

I suppose this would be a lot more expensive than a wideband analog
amplifier?

--
--Tim Smith
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

|----------| cable
(cable in) | 2-way |------modem
------------| splitter |
| (NOT | |---------| |--------|-- TV
|amplifier)|----|amplifier|--| 4-way |-- TV
|----------| | (if | |splitter|-- TV/DVR
| needed) | |--------|-- TV
|---------|

Given the this is his existing setup:

--------
| + --- modem
in ---| 4 way + --- TV
| + --- TV
| + --- TV/DVR
--------

why not this?

--------
| + --- modem --------
in ---| 4 way + --- TV | + --- TV
| + -------------*----| 2 way |
| + --- TV/DVR | + --- new TV
-------- --------

(with amp at * if needed).

This way, there is no change for the modem, one TV, and the TV/DVR. If
there's going to be a problem, it will only be with one TV and/or the
new TV. Why change the signal path of everything?

--
--Tim Smith
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote:
[...]

No... Either find the splitter and replace it, or pull a new piece of cable.

I don't know about your cable company, but mine would come in and do all the
troubleshooting necessary to fix this for free.

Is my coax cable bad? miamicuse Home Repair 10 April 17th 14 01:44 AM
75 Ohm Coax Recommendation for an RGB Cable Don Electronics Repair 10 July 19th 05 02:38 AM
Coax cable Grumps UK diy 10 June 13th 05 10:44 AM
extending coax cable to cable-modem Rick UK diy 15 February 23rd 05 11:44 AM
For the Cable Guys: Coax cable Splitter Q. Michael Stoic Home Repair 6 January 25th 05 02:28 PM