Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Cable TV and coax splitters

wrote:
On Aug 2, 9:40 am, "EXT" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message

news

In article om,
Brent Bolin wrote:

On Aug 2, 8:39 am, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Brent Bolin wrote:

Hi All,

Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the
cross space has a total of 5 ports.

1. Comcast in
2. Cable modem
3. TV
4. TV
5. TV/DVR

I would like to add an additional TV.

Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?

Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?

Any input would be appreciated.

Chances are that you could just add another (make that a high
quality)
splitter to address your issue. In some cases you ma need an amplified
splitter if the signal is weak.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

This is the direction I was thinking. I suppose it's all relative to
the signal strength that I currently have. Have not had any problems
to date.

There has been some discussion in this thread about amplifiers. Do
amplifiers need an external power source ?

They do. Keep in mind that an amplifier is going to amplify the noise as
well as the signal. So if you use one, put it as close to the service
entrance as possible. Every time you split a signal, you're going to
lose strength and introduce noise. If you're happy with the picture you
have now, I doubt that one more split will degrade it noticeably. Use a
terminator on any unused outputs from splitters.

Your local cable company has the ability to adjust the signal strength that
they feed to you.- Hide quoted text -

I'd first try splitting one of the tv signals again. If the picture
is OK, you're good to go. And if you do add an amplifier, make sure
it's bi-directional and compatilbe with a modem.

Hi,
In y experience I never had trouble with weakened signal by spliting.
Rather cable co. seems to feed too strong signal to begin with all the time.