Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Cable TV and coax splitters

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 12:13:18 -0700, Paul Flansburg
wrote:

On Aug 2, 3:11 pm, Paul Flansburg wrote:
On Aug 2, 3:04 pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 10:41:58 -0700, Paul Flansburg

wrote:
On Aug 2, 10:56 am, "Pete C." wrote:
Brent Bolin wrote:

Hi All,

Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the
cross space has a total of 5 ports.

1. Comcast in
2. Cable modem
3. TV
4. TV
5. TV/DVR

I would like to add an additional TV.

Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?

Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?

Any input would be appreciated.

You need to get a two way splitter (3 ports and preferably a quality one
from the cable company) and a short coax cable. Connect the incoming
cable to the input of this two way splitter (yes the port labeled input
makes a difference). Move the feed to the cable modem to one output of
the two way splitter. Connect the input to the four way splitter to the
other output of the two way splitter. Connect new TV to the port on the
four way splitter freed by the cable modem connection.

Pete C.- Hide quoted text -

This is the correct way to make your connections. No need for an
AMP.

A too strong signal can be just as bad as a weak one.

paul

--
Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy- Hide quoted text -

What do you know about adjusting the up and down stream in a cable
plant....My guess NOTHING. The cable plant is designed to hit the
house @ 0dbm. The cable modem has a input range of +/-6.0dbm. So,
setting up the splitters as suggested is the correcty way.

-paul- Hide quoted text -

I'm sorry....I was thinking of something else. The cable modem has a
range of +/-15dbm. Senior moment, I tend to get them this late in the
day.

As I see it, the problem isn't that you made a mistake, whether
because of a senior moment or anything else.

What deserved an apology ("I'm sorry") was telling someone he knew
NOTHING, when he had not only been polite to you, he hadn't even
contradicted you. (I think he had agreed with you.)

Otoh, I'm not totally against being rude on the net. For some people,
it probably vents anger that would otherwise be turned against someone
right in front of the angry person. If that would mean hitting
someone, hostility on the Net is a better thing.