Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Cable TV and coax splitters

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 22:25:56 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 19:16:33 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 16:31:43 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 10:56:44 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 06:10:38 -0700, hobbes
wrote:

On Aug 2, 8:43 am, Brent Bolin wrote:
Hi All,

Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the
cross space has a total of 5 ports.

1. Comcast in
2. Cable modem
3. TV
4. TV
5. TV/DVR

I would like to add an additional TV.

Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?

Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?

Any input would be appreciated.
,,,,

It would be best to split off the cable modem before an amplifier
(cable modems need a bidirectional connection, and may not work well
with an amplified one). That is, the first thing on the incoming cable
should be a 2-way splitter with one output going directly to the cable
modem.

Right, but note that he already has that.

Maybe you got confused about the difference between a "2-way splitter"
and a "bidirectional amp". These things aren't even close to being
equivalent.

If he has a splitter in the cross space with the labels Comcast in and
Cable Modem, it is a bidirectional splitter, no? His computer is
working, or he would have mentioned that.

Splitters are always bidirectional. I used the word to refer to an
AMPLIFIER, which often isn't.

So as you recommend above, he does split off to the cable modem before
adding any other things such as an amplifier, since that's the only
gadget he has now.

I said with a TWO output splitter (reducing loss at the cable modem).
I also said to connect an amplifier (or 4-way splitter) to THE OTHER
output of that TWO output splitter. Those 4 outputs go to the TVs.
This is NOT the same is the 4-way splitter coming first.

Then you can connect the 4-way splitter

another clue to your mistake

Not to me. You seem to want to split the comuputer off twice in a
row.

What???

For the reading-impaired:

|----------| cable
(cable in) | 2-way |------modem
------------| splitter |
|----------| | (if | |splitter|-- TV/DVR
| needed) | |--------|-- TV
|---------|

A lot like my setup. BTW, the cable internet works very well.

I get it. You think some amateur labeled the splitter he has now, or
that it's not labeled at all..

A splitter has an input and two or more outputs. Perhaps you're
confusing "splitter" and "amplifier", and shouldn't be doing this.

I think if his computer works, it has
a port labeled Cable modem.

Why should a port be labeled "cable modem"? It's just an output like
any other.

The OP hasn't posted since this morning, so I think the answer remains
unknown.
]
to the other output.

Do you have digital cable?