Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Smith Tim Smith is offline

Default Cable TV and coax splitters

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:
They do. Keep in mind that an amplifier is going to amplify the noise as
well as the signal. So if you use one, put it as close to the service

Does anyone make a cable signal regenerator? At least for areas where
cable is all digital, it seems to me that it should be possible to make
a device that takes an incoming cable signal, which consists of an
analog signal modulated in such a way as to encode digital data, and
extract that digital data, and then encode that on a newly-generated
analog signal to send out the outputs. This would not be amplifying the
noise. It wouldn't help in the case where you've got a bad signal
coming in, but in the case where the signal is strong enough to work
with a cable box or modem at the point of entrance, but just isn't
strong enough to survive splitters or long cable runs, it would be fine.

I suppose this would be a lot more expensive than a wideband analog
amplifier?

--
--Tim Smith