Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Cable TV and coax splitters

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 18:14:58 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

"Brent Bolin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

Currently have 3 TV's and Comcast cable modem. The splitter in the
cross space has a total of 5 ports.

1. Comcast in
2. Cable modem
3. TV
4. TV
5. TV/DVR

I would like to add an additional TV.

Can I just purchase a 6 port cable splitter ?

NO!

Take one of your TV's off and add another splitter.

Will it reduce the quality of the signal ?

Yes. Every time you split the signal you will have some loss. Whether or not
it's noticable depends on the signal and hardware you use.

Any input would be appreciated.

You do not want to add any more loss before your cable modem. A six way
splitter will cause more loss to all the devices connected to it.

That's why I suggested putting the 2 way FIRST.

Also you do NOT want to use an amplifier as they also amplify noise and
usually block return signals, breaking the cable modem connection.

An amplifier may be desirable, but try it without one at first. Don't
put an amplifier on the cable modem signal.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy