Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is a 215-lb. safe too heavy to wheel into an apartment building by myself?

Hi, I want to buy a safe with these specs I copied and pasted below.
The company doesn't deliver inside houses--they only do curbside
delivery. So I am hoping someone can tell me whether if I borrow a
handtruck from one of the porters or the superintendent of the
building I live in, if I will be able to wheel it into my building on
a ramp or is 215 lbs. too heavy?

The ramp slopes down and it's pretty steep (it starts from the ground
and goes into the basement). Would I need help?

Thanks again.

215 lbs.

Outside 21 1/2 H x 17 W x 18 D

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Tsao wrote:
Hi, I want to buy a safe with these specs I copied and pasted below.
The company doesn't deliver inside houses--they only do curbside
delivery. So I am hoping someone can tell me whether if I borrow a
handtruck from one of the porters or the superintendent of the
building I live in, if I will be able to wheel it into my building on
a ramp or is 215 lbs. too heavy?

The ramp slopes down and it's pretty steep (it starts from the ground
and goes into the basement). Would I need help?

I guess it depends on how stout you are. I believe I could get it in the house
if I have some help getting it off the truck.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris Tsao" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I want to buy a safe with these specs I copied and pasted below.
The company doesn't deliver inside houses--they only do curbside
delivery. So I am hoping someone can tell me whether if I borrow a
handtruck from one of the porters or the superintendent of the
building I live in, if I will be able to wheel it into my building on
a ramp or is 215 lbs. too heavy?

The ramp slopes down and it's pretty steep (it starts from the ground
and goes into the basement). Would I need help?

Thanks again.

215 lbs.

Outside 21 1/2 H x 17 W x 18 D

Go to a U-Haul place and see if rent dollies - very stout wooden platforms
with wheels. Professional movers have them, as do piano movers. And, you'll
need rope, as well as a helper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris Tsao" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I want to buy a safe with these specs I copied and pasted below.
The company doesn't deliver inside houses--they only do curbside
delivery. So I am hoping someone can tell me whether if I borrow a
handtruck from one of the porters or the superintendent of the
building I live in, if I will be able to wheel it into my building on
a ramp or is 215 lbs. too heavy?

The ramp slopes down and it's pretty steep (it starts from the ground
and goes into the basement). Would I need help?

Thanks again.

215 lbs.

Outside 21 1/2 H x 17 W x 18 D

Is it a real handtruck with blow-up tires, and not one of those fold-up
pieces of junk? Are you in decent shape? I have a real handtruck, and am in
okay but not great physical shape, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it. The
wheels take the weight, all you do is steer. Downhill will be easy- gravity
does the work. When you move out, it will be a little harder, but not too
bad. A lot easier than a fridge. MAKE SURE YOU TIE IT TIGHTLY TO THE
CART!!!! With actual rope or web tiedown with ratchet, not a bungee cord. A
piece of clean cardboard will help keep from scuffing the shiny new paint
with the cart.

If the delivery guy or someone around the building is big and husky, it may
be worth waving a $20 bill under their nose. For someone used to these
things, it will be five minutes work.

aem sends.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Tsao wrote:
Hi, I want to buy a safe with these specs I copied and pasted below.
The company doesn't deliver inside houses--they only do curbside
delivery. So I am hoping someone can tell me whether if I borrow a
handtruck from one of the porters or the superintendent of the
building I live in, if I will be able to wheel it into my building on
a ramp or is 215 lbs. too heavy?

The ramp slopes down and it's pretty steep (it starts from the ground
and goes into the basement). Would I need help?

Thanks again.

215 lbs.

Outside 21 1/2 H x 17 W x 18 D

Hi,
Which is concern weight or size? Think piano. Many apartment dwellers
have piano in their place. I think two husky movers will handle it
without big difficulty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote

"Chris Tsao" wrote

Hi, I want to buy a safe with these specs I copied and pasted below.
The company doesn't deliver inside houses--they only do curbside
delivery. So I am hoping someone can tell me whether if I borrow a
handtruck from one of the porters or the superintendent of the
building I live in, if I will be able to wheel it into my building on
a ramp or is 215 lbs. too heavy?

If the delivery guy or someone around the building is big and husky, it
may be worth waving a $20 bill under their nose. For someone used to these
things, it will be five minutes work.

Should be interesting when word gets around the neighborhood that Chris
has this big safe in his apartment.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't comment on your atheltic abilities. We out here on the
other side of the computer screen would have no way to know.

I'd suggest to get at least one or maybe two helpers.

I'd also suggest to get a piece of plywood maybe two feet square
to spread the weight around. So the wheels don't punch holes in
the floor.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

oups.com...
:
: The ramp slopes down and it's pretty steep (it starts from the
ground
: and goes into the basement). Would I need help?
:
: Thanks again.
:
:
:
: 215 lbs.
:
: Outside 21 1/2 H x 17 W x 18 D
:

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:50:06 -0700, Chris Tsao
wrote:

Hi, I want to buy a safe with these specs I copied and pasted below.
The company doesn't deliver inside houses--they only do curbside
delivery. So I am hoping someone can tell me whether if I borrow a
handtruck from one of the porters or the superintendent of the
building I live in, if I will be able to wheel it into my building on
a ramp or is 215 lbs. too heavy?

The ramp slopes down and it's pretty steep (it starts from the ground
and goes into the basement). Would I need help?

Thanks again.

Doesn't it have its own wheels? I think they will work unless some
surface is quite rough, plus you'll have to lift the leading two
wheels over threshholds and gaps, and give it a little help getting
esp the first two wheels into the elevator. A rope tied into a circle
will enable you to lift without bending over and hurting your back.

Of course if you're like me, you may not want to scuff your brand new
wheels, since you may not have to move it after this time for 10 or 20
years.

But I'd get a helper, one to hold it back from above, using a strong
enough rope, attached well, and one underneath, so to speak. Unless
you're paying someone, I guess you have to be the one underneath. I
agreee with aem. A big strong guy can do this in 5 minutes.....dreams
of what might have been. Where was I?

215 lbs.

Outside 21 1/2 H x 17 W x 18 D

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nick Hull" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote:

Should be interesting when word gets around the neighborhood that Chris
has this big safe in his apartment.

Put a cross & wreath on it with a "Rest in Peace" banner and tell
everyone it's for your ex wife's ashes

(laugh!) Good answer.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:50:06 -0700, Chris Tsao wrote:

or is 215 lbs. too heavy?

You must be joking, it's not heavy at all.

I'm 67 years old and just retired from managing a busy hardware store in
rural Alaska. I wheeled loads exceeding 215 lbs using a two wheeled dolly
every day, sometimes up and down wheel chair ramps, sometimes across rough,
unpaved ground, even through snow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Tsao wrote:
Hi, I want to buy a safe with these specs I copied and pasted below.
The company doesn't deliver inside houses--they only do curbside
delivery. So I am hoping someone can tell me whether if I borrow a
handtruck from one of the porters or the superintendent of the
building I live in, if I will be able to wheel it into my building on
a ramp or is 215 lbs. too heavy?

The ramp slopes down and it's pretty steep (it starts from the ground
and goes into the basement). Would I need help?

You're going DOWN a ramp, persumably into the basement where you have access
to the elevator?

Should be pretty easy. Even if the safe gets away from you and tumbles down
the ramp, don't worry. Safes are tested to fall a great distance (as in a
collapsed floor in a burning building) and still function.

A stout rope and block-and-tackle are indicated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Chris Tsao wrote:
Hi, I want to buy a safe with these specs I copied and pasted below.
The company doesn't deliver inside houses--they only do curbside
delivery. So I am hoping someone can tell me whether if I borrow a
handtruck from one of the porters or the superintendent of the
building I live in, if I will be able to wheel it into my building on
a ramp or is 215 lbs. too heavy?

The ramp slopes down and it's pretty steep (it starts from the ground
and goes into the basement). Would I need help?

You're going DOWN a ramp, persumably into the basement where you have
access to the elevator?

Should be pretty easy. Even if the safe gets away from you and tumbles
down the ramp, don't worry. Safes are tested to fall a great distance (as
in a collapsed floor in a burning building) and still function.

tip: don't stand or put non-replacable body parts downhill from it

A stout rope and block-and-tackle are indicated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 11:52 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Chris Tsao wrote:
Hi, I want to buy a safe with these specs I copied and pasted below.
The company doesn't deliver inside houses--they only do curbside
delivery. So I am hoping someone can tell me whether if I borrow a
handtruck from one of the porters or the superintendent of the
building I live in, if I will be able to wheel it into my building on
a ramp or is 215 lbs. too heavy?

The ramp slopes down and it's pretty steep (it starts from the ground
and goes into the basement). Would I need help?

You're going DOWN a ramp, persumably into the basement where you have access
to the elevator?

Should be pretty easy. Even if the safe gets away from you and tumbles down
the ramp, don't worry. Safes are tested to fall a great distance (as in a
collapsed floor in a burning building) and still function.

A stout rope and block-and-tackle are indicated.

I want to thank everyone for your help. A rope makes everything more
complicated and I see now from these replies that this is as
physically hard as I suspected and the porters in my building aren't
always around. I will continue browsing other dot.com businesses and
stores' web sites in the hopes of finding another safe I like for the
price I want to spend.

THe company that sells the safe I have my eye on charges $200 as a
delivery fee. They should bring it into my house for charging that
much! After all, lotsa furniture weighs more than that!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Should be interesting when word gets around the neighborhood that Chris
has this big safe in his apartment.

I left my keys in my door about a year and four months ago. So I told
my super that I'm going to the locksmith to buy new locks and when I
got back, I found out that he's friends with the locksmith, so if they
were dishonest men, I would be screwed. Most people must leave the
keys with him anyway because that's a rule that the co-op board made.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Tsao wrote:

I want to thank everyone for your help. A rope makes everything more
complicated and I see now from these replies that this is as
physically hard as I suspected and the porters in my building aren't
always around. I will continue browsing other dot.com businesses and
stores' web sites in the hopes of finding another safe I like for the
price I want to spend.

THe company that sells the safe I have my eye on charges $200 as a
delivery fee. They should bring it into my house for charging that
much! After all, lotsa furniture weighs more than that!

215 lb really is nothing. I have dolly, cost less than $50 from Home
Depot, that could handle it. I'm the same age as the other old guy that
gave same response
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 6:16 pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:
Chris Tsao wrote:

I want to thank everyone for your help. A rope makes everything more
complicated and I see now from these replies that this is as
physically hard as I suspected and the porters in my building aren't
always around. I will continue browsing other dot.com businesses and
stores' web sites in the hopes of finding another safe I like for the
price I want to spend.

THe company that sells the safe I have my eye on charges $200 as a
delivery fee. They should bring it into my house for charging that
much! After all, lotsa furniture weighs more than that!

215 lb really is nothing. I have dolly, cost less than $50 from Home
Depot, that could handle it. I'm the same age as the other old guy that
gave same response
Frank

I have a handtruck. It's not a heavyduty one, but I think it's strong
enough. I guess I could always call the super on my cellphone if it
isn't strong enough. I could even leave the safe on the street while I
go look for a porter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 2:53 pm, Chris Tsao wrote:
On Aug 1, 11:52 am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Chris Tsao wrote:
[...]

much! After all, lotsa furniture weighs more than that!- Hide quoted text -

You can get a heavy duty dolly at Harbor Freight for $15 or $20. As
others have said 215 isn't very heavy. Imagine wheeling someone down
the ramp in a wheelchair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,
Which is concern weight or size? Think piano. Many apartment dwellers
have piano in their place. I think two husky movers will handle it
without big difficulty.

Both weight and size. I foun d a handsome one that's only 115 lbs.,
which would be good enough, if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't
come with pre-drilled holes so I can afix it onto the floor.

I like them for their looks too. (I think they're cool.) I won't buy
one that's not to my taste (esthetically (sp.????)). A large fire-
proof strongbox is all I really need for now, but a safe is fun. My
aunt has valuables that she stores in her house due to the bank
raising the rates on her safety deposit bank, so I figure that if I
buy a heavy safe and one with holes on the bottom, I can store her
bonds in my house. My stuff, nobody wants (it's just important to me).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris Tsao" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I want to buy a safe with these specs I copied and pasted below.
The company doesn't deliver inside houses--they only do curbside
delivery. So I am hoping someone can tell me whether if I borrow a
handtruck from one of the porters or the superintendent of the
building I live in, if I will be able to wheel it into my building on
a ramp or is 215 lbs. too heavy?

The ramp slopes down and it's pretty steep (it starts from the ground
and goes into the basement). Would I need help?

Thanks again.

215 lbs.

Outside 21 1/2 H x 17 W x 18 D

All by yourself - yes it is too heavy. I tried a lateral file - 150 lbs all
by myself, I tore a muscle in my back and was out for a while. I'm also
6'2" 250 lbs. Get more than one helper and get a wheeled dolly - not a hand
truck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When I bought my first safe (a 400lb 1880s type) I had it
professionally delivered.
I watched carefully. He used a pallet jack, and put aluminum plates on
the path, it was a
smooth, safe (no pun intended) operation. When I decided to move, I
had collected 3 big safes,
so I invested in a new pallet jack ($300). That was one of my best
investments.
The mover told how he had been thrown through a wall delivering to a
pier and beam house when a portion of
floor collapsed. fortunately he was thrown between studs and didn't
get hurt to speak of. After that he started using the aluminum plates
on the floor.

On Jul 31, 6:50 pm, Chris Tsao wrote:
Hi, I want to buy a safe with these specs I copied and pasted below.
The company doesn't deliver inside houses--they only do curbside
delivery. So I am hoping someone can tell me whether if I borrow a
handtruck from one of the porters or the superintendent of the
building I live in, if I will be able to wheel it into my building on
a ramp or is 215 lbs. too heavy?

The ramp slopes down and it's pretty steep (it starts from the ground
and goes into the basement). Would I need help?

Thanks again.

215 lbs.

Outside 21 1/2 H x 17 W x 18 D

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Tsao wrote:

[...]

I've got to vote with those who say it's no big deal. 215 pounds is
pretty light for one guy, with even a cheap dolly.

But if you're buying this because it's "fun," I'd vote against that idea
altogether. The fun will wear off after a day or two and then you're
gonna be stuck with that thing in your way and irritating you for the
next thirty years.

Best thing I think, for securing valuables at home, is a little safe in
the floor of a closet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 10:04 pm, Smitty Two wrote:

Chris Tsao wrote:

[...]

Yup, a little safe in the floor of a closet. That way I get it outa my
system and don't have to spend more than $200. I can get my favorite
look for under that price ... if my memory serves me.

I think "Bumil" and/or possibly "GardAll" makes the most expensive
looking small safes. THey look like the giant commerial ones in
photographs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 1, 11:48 pm, Chris Tsao wrote:
On Aug 1, 10:04 pm, Smitty Two wrote:

.... if my memory serves me.

I think "Bumil" and/or possibly "GardAll" makes the most expensive
looking small safes.

Gardall H2 Closet Safe $270

safeshowroom

Inside: 9 3/4" x 10 3/4" x 9"
Outside: 10 1/4" x 11 1/2" x 12 3/4"
Weight: 70 lbs.
Cubic Ft. Capacity: 0.7

http://www.safeshowroom.com/eshop/10...Search=Gardall

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
Chris Tsao wrote:

On Aug 1, 11:48 pm, Chris Tsao wrote:
On Aug 1, 10:04 pm, Smitty Two wrote:

... if my memory serves me.

I think "Bumil" and/or possibly "GardAll" makes the most expensive
looking small safes.

Gardall H2 Closet Safe $270

safeshowroom

Inside: 9 3/4" x 10 3/4" x 9"
Outside: 10 1/4" x 11 1/2" x 12 3/4"
Weight: 70 lbs.
Cubic Ft. Capacity: 0.7

http://www.safeshowroom.com/eshop/10...Search=Gardall

Sweet. But the shipping... ouch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Tsao wrote:

[...]

No big deal to move it with a dolly on basically level ground, but
stairways or any other ups or downs or moving through tight spaces can
get hairy real quick. Sometimes an extra hand can make a huge
difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:23:58 -0700, Chris Tsao
wrote:

I have a handtruck. It's not a heavyduty one, but I think it's strong
enough. I guess I could always call the super on my cellphone if it
isn't strong enough. I could even leave the safe on the street while I
go look for a porter.

I'm sure you'll be fine. After all, 215 lb is less than half a
mother-in-law.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:

I'm sure you'll be fine. After all, 215 lb is less than half a
mother-in-law.

I can see you've never tried to get a mother-in-law to move...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Tsao writes:

So I am hoping someone can tell me whether if I borrow a
handtruck from one of the porters or the superintendent of the
building I live in, if I will be able to wheel it into my building on
a ramp or is 215 lbs. too heavy?

Don't use a hand truck.

Use a furniture dolly.

Open the safe and use big C-clamps to attach lumber or steel for handles,
and get some friends to help lift it on and off the dolly, and over
obstructions.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:34:21 -0700, Chris Tsao
wrote:

Hi,
Which is concern weight or size? Think piano. Many apartment dwellers
have piano in their place. I think two husky movers will handle it
without big difficulty.

Both weight and size. I foun d a handsome one that's only 115 lbs.,
which would be good enough, if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't
come with pre-drilled holes so I can afix it onto the floor.

I like them for their looks too. (I think they're cool.) I won't buy
one that's not to my taste (esthetically (sp.????)). A large fire-

He didn't mean What do you look for in a safe.

He meant What concerns you about moving it? Weight or size?

I presume it is the weight because you mentioned weight in the first
post.

proof strongbox is all I really need for now, but a safe is fun. My
aunt has valuables that she stores in her house due to the bank
raising the rates on her safety deposit bank, so I figure that if I
buy a heavy safe and one with holes on the bottom, I can store her
bonds in my house. My stuff, nobody wants (it's just important to me).

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 13:53:51 -0700, Chris Tsao
wrote:

THe company that sells the safe I have my eye on charges $200 as a
delivery fee. They should bring it into my house for charging that
much!

Buddy, we have no trouble bringing it into the house, but it'll be
anotehr 200 dollars.

After all, lotsa furniture weighs more than that!

Then get a furniture guy to do it. We's got other things to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Should be pretty easy. Even if the safe gets away from you and tumbles down
the ramp, don't worry. Safes are tested to fall a great distance (as in a
collapsed floor in a burning building) and still function.

A stout rope and block-and-tackle are indicated.

I want to thank everyone for your help. A rope makes everything more
complicated

What is so hard about a rope? You can get 100 feet of cotton
clothesline for maybe 4 or 5 dollars. You can make four circles with
100 feet so that the tension on the rope is only the moment in the
direction of rolling of 215 pounds divided by 8. That is, even if you
were lowering it straight down, it the tension would only be 27 pounds
per rope.

At a 30 degree angle, it's 27 pounds times the sine of 30, or the
cosine, or tangent or something like that. About 14 pounds.

If you only do three circles, to have more room to walk or to wrap it
around your hands that will make it 4/3rds as much or 20 pounds. Even
a cotton clothesline can handle 20 pounds.

(wear gloves, just because one is more powerful with gloves on. You
don't really need them.)

You need a way to keep it from sliding all the way down to the ground,
but you can probably wrap one length around the handle.

I bought 100 feet of clothesline to hold a spinet piano on the back of
my full size convertible, to move it from Brooklyn to the Upper West
side. By never cutting the rope, I was able to save it for many
other uses. So then I kept it as a rope to climb down from my 5th
floor window if I couldn't get to the door or fire escape. I've used
it to tie a 65 gallon water heater to my compact convertible.

The rope is 28 years old now, and maybe it's not as strong as it was,
but I can't tell the difference.

BTW, safes are either for protection from stealing or from fire. I
guess if it is big enough it protects against both, but read what it
says. Protecting against fire can be very important, especially for
bonds and wills and confessions.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:29:48 -0700, Rich256
wrote:

You can get a heavy duty dolly at Harbor Freight for $15 or $20. As

If he lives in an apratment, he probably doesn't want to buy either a
dolly or a hand truck, but otoh, the super should have both.

Bear in mind that a dolly is a lot stronger than a hand truck -- a
cheap dolly can handle far more than a handtruck of the same price --
but not quite as easy to use.

And a dolly won't be stymied by the fact that the safe is bigger than
the platform at the bottom of the handtruck, which also isn't such a
problem if you lean the handtruck way back. But even then you want a
second person whether he is strong or not, to keep the handtruck from
moving away from you when you are trying to pull back on the handle,
etc.

If everything is pretty smooth, you might just be able to use a
carpet. Lay the safe on its side and pull on the rug. You can get
some rug out of the trash pretty often, or use one of your own. Well,
I haven't done anything as heavy as a safe, but it worked really well
moving the computer, monitor, printer from one room to the other at my
borthers. Didn't have to disconnect anything. He has smooth floors
thoughout.

others have said 215 isn't very heavy. Imagine wheeling someone down
the ramp in a wheelchair.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 00:19:42 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Chris Tsao writes:

So I am hoping someone can tell me whether if I borrow a
handtruck from one of the porters or the superintendent of the
building I live in, if I will be able to wheel it into my building on
a ramp or is 215 lbs. too heavy?

Don't use a hand truck.

Use a furniture dolly.

Open the safe and use big C-clamps to attach lumber or steel for handles,
and get some friends to help lift it on and off the dolly, and over
obstructions.

You sound experienced. Eric does also. What do you think about using
the wheels that are already on the safe?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You can get a heavy duty dolly at Harbor Freight for $15 or $20. As

If he lives in an apratment, he probably doesn't want to buy either a
dolly or a hand truck, but otoh, the super should have both.

Bear in mind that a dolly is a lot stronger than a hand truck -- a
cheap dolly can handle far more than a handtruck of the same price --
but not quite as easy to use.

Dolly and hand truck are synonymous in my lexicon. But anyway, all this
is moot now. IINM, I already convinced the OP to go with a floor safe -
about 70 pounds.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Aug 1, 12:34 am, Nick Hull wrote:
In article ,
"Nancy Young" wrote:

Should be interesting when word gets around the neighborhood that Chris
has this big safe in his apartment.

Put a cross & wreath on it with a "Rest in Peace" banner and tell
everyone it's for your ex wife's ashes

which reminds me; what do you guys think Cheney has in that "man-sized
safe" in his office? I'm guessing, bin Laden.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Aug 1, 6:34 pm, Chris Tsao wrote:
[...]

if you got teenagers, it makes a good liquor cabinet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 07:53:31 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

Dolly and hand truck are synonymous in my lexicon.

I think that can lead to confusion. A dolly is this or something
simnilar to it: 4 pieces of 1 x 6, 16 to 24 inches long, arranged in
a square, with two opposite sides on top, and the others on the
bottom, with swivel casters on the four corners. Often the dolly is
carpeted on top. It stands about 4 inches high. It might have a rope
attached but very few I've seen do, and the load is propelled by
pushing on the load. Because the casters are only 3 inches usually,
it doesn't go over bumps or gaps nearly as well as a handtruck, and
often has to be lifted a bit. (I guess one could use 6 inch casters
or bigger, but those are very rare in apartment buildings.)

Except for the fanciest, a hand truck has only two wheels, and they
don't swivel. It has a horizontal flat piece of metal maybe 14 inches
by 6 or 8 inches that slides underneath the load, and a handle
extending up from the wheels about four feet. One can pull on the
load and the handle and rock the load back so that it is carried by
the two wheels. Then the load is propelled by pushing or pulling on
the handle. It's very easy to steer. Because the wheels are 6 or 8
inches, it goes over most bumps and gaps easily.

There are some fancy handtrucks. Some, usually made out of tubing,
have a rack at the bottom that sticks out farther than the 6 or 8
inhces I mention above. It usually hinges up for storage. The tubing
isn't as good as a flat piece of metal for first getting under the
load.

Some try to include the advantages of a dolly, by having two more
wheels, casters, close to the top of the handle. Then one can lay the
handtruck on its back and load it like a dolly, or perhaps one can
load it like a handtruck but rock the load all the way back to the
dolly position. Sometimes, I think, the handle has a separate piece
that comes up vertically from the top of the handle when the handle is
horizontal. I've never used one, but as dollies they are probably a
little less stable because the load sits maybe 8 inches high instead
of 4, but I suspect they are very good for certain things, like a pile
of big boxes that are not particularly heavy.

But anyway, all this
is moot now. IINM, I already convinced the OP to go with a floor safe -
about 70 pounds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

215 lbs is nothing special, I am not even strong and I can move 215
lbs objects all day long. Make sure to use straps to strap the "safe"
to the hand truck and it will be just fine. Use safe lifting
techniques in getting it off your vehicle. Be coservative and
deliberate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignoramus2331 writes:

I am not even strong and I can move 215 lbs objects all day long.

You can't move a dense object with no handles like an appliance or a piece
of furniture.