Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Is a 215-lb. safe too heavy to wheel into an apartment building by myself?

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 13:53:51 -0700, Chris Tsao
wrote:

Should be pretty easy. Even if the safe gets away from you and tumbles down
the ramp, don't worry. Safes are tested to fall a great distance (as in a
collapsed floor in a burning building) and still function.

A stout rope and block-and-tackle are indicated.

I want to thank everyone for your help. A rope makes everything more
complicated

What is so hard about a rope? You can get 100 feet of cotton
clothesline for maybe 4 or 5 dollars. You can make four circles with
100 feet so that the tension on the rope is only the moment in the
direction of rolling of 215 pounds divided by 8. That is, even if you
were lowering it straight down, it the tension would only be 27 pounds
per rope.

At a 30 degree angle, it's 27 pounds times the sine of 30, or the
cosine, or tangent or something like that. About 14 pounds.

If you only do three circles, to have more room to walk or to wrap it
around your hands that will make it 4/3rds as much or 20 pounds. Even
a cotton clothesline can handle 20 pounds.

(wear gloves, just because one is more powerful with gloves on. You
don't really need them.)

You need a way to keep it from sliding all the way down to the ground,
but you can probably wrap one length around the handle.

I bought 100 feet of clothesline to hold a spinet piano on the back of
my full size convertible, to move it from Brooklyn to the Upper West
side. By never cutting the rope, I was able to save it for many
other uses. So then I kept it as a rope to climb down from my 5th
floor window if I couldn't get to the door or fire escape. I've used
it to tie a 65 gallon water heater to my compact convertible.

The rope is 28 years old now, and maybe it's not as strong as it was,
but I can't tell the difference.

BTW, safes are either for protection from stealing or from fire. I
guess if it is big enough it protects against both, but read what it
says. Protecting against fire can be very important, especially for
bonds and wills and confessions.