Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Is a 215-lb. safe too heavy to wheel into an apartment building by myself?

"Chris Tsao" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I want to buy a safe with these specs I copied and pasted below.
The company doesn't deliver inside houses--they only do curbside
delivery. So I am hoping someone can tell me whether if I borrow a
handtruck from one of the porters or the superintendent of the
building I live in, if I will be able to wheel it into my building on
a ramp or is 215 lbs. too heavy?

The ramp slopes down and it's pretty steep (it starts from the ground
and goes into the basement). Would I need help?

Thanks again.

215 lbs.

Outside 21 1/2 H x 17 W x 18 D

Is it a real handtruck with blow-up tires, and not one of those fold-up
pieces of junk? Are you in decent shape? I have a real handtruck, and am in
okay but not great physical shape, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it. The
wheels take the weight, all you do is steer. Downhill will be easy- gravity
does the work. When you move out, it will be a little harder, but not too
bad. A lot easier than a fridge. MAKE SURE YOU TIE IT TIGHTLY TO THE
CART!!!! With actual rope or web tiedown with ratchet, not a bungee cord. A
piece of clean cardboard will help keep from scuffing the shiny new paint
with the cart.

If the delivery guy or someone around the building is big and husky, it may
be worth waving a $20 bill under their nose. For someone used to these
things, it will be five minutes work.

aem sends.....