Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Briggs Stratton 4HP high idle speed

I found the message I pasted below on this group a few days ago. I had
this exact same problem with the same motor (10A902) 4HP. after
reading all the replies I went and replaced the diaphragm. The mower
now has a steady idle but it is much much higher than it was before.
The mower also seems to run twice as loud as it used to. What do I do
to fix this problem.

Tim

CanadianCowboy

My briggs and Strattan mover was working fine up until I ran it dry
using every drop of gas. The next time I used the mover it runs
rough
with RPM's going up and down but never stalling.
Is there a block in the carberator from the garbage at the bottom of
the
tank ? Do I have to take it apart and clean ?

Any help would be appreciated !!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Adjust idle screw.

If he didn't change the screw before or after replacing the diaphragm, that's
probably not the cause of a much-higher idle.

You might have a vacuum leak, where air is getting sucked into the engine
around the gaskets. Make sure the gaskets are all seating properly and the
screws are tightened correctly. "Real tight" isn't as important as tightening
evenly the several screws that hold a diaphragm or gasket.

Good luck,s
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to alt.home.repair
tmt tmt is offline

having dealt with gaskets in the past I was careful to tighten the
screws evenly and not over tighten. Im stumped.

On Jul 31, 1:21 pm, DaveC wrote:
Adjust idle screw.

If he didn't change the screw before or after replacing the diaphragm, that's
probably not the cause of a much-higher idle.

You might have a vacuum leak, where air is getting sucked into the engine
around the gaskets. Make sure the gaskets are all seating properly and the
screws are tightened correctly. "Real tight" isn't as important as tightening
evenly the several screws that hold a diaphragm or gasket.

Good luck,s
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

tmt wrote:
having dealt with gaskets in the past I was careful to tighten the
screws evenly and not over tighten. Im stumped.

Float level?

Throttle linkage?