DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Briggs Stratton 4HP high idle speed (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/208857-briggs-stratton-4hp-high-idle-speed.html)

[email protected] July 31st 07 02:45 PM

Briggs Stratton 4HP high idle speed

I found the message I pasted below on this group a few days ago. I had
this exact same problem with the same motor (10A902) 4HP. after
reading all the replies I went and replaced the diaphragm. The mower
now has a steady idle but it is much much higher than it was before.
The mower also seems to run twice as loud as it used to. What do I do
to fix this problem.

Tim

CanadianCowboy

My briggs and Strattan mover was working fine up until I ran it dry
using every drop of gas. The next time I used the mover it runs
rough
with RPM's going up and down but never stalling.
Is there a block in the carberator from the garbage at the bottom of
the
tank ? Do I have to take it apart and clean ?

Any help would be appreciated !!

dpb July 31st 07 03:18 PM

wrote:
I found the message I pasted below on this group a few days ago. I had
this exact same problem with the same motor (10A902) 4HP. after
reading all the replies I went and replaced the diaphragm. The mower
now has a steady idle but it is much much higher than it was before.
The mower also seems to run twice as loud as it used to. What do I do
to fix this problem.

Adjust idle screw.

DaveC July 31st 07 06:21 PM

Briggs Stratton 4HP high idle speed

Adjust idle screw.

If he didn't change the screw before or after replacing the diaphragm, that's
probably not the cause of a much-higher idle.

You might have a vacuum leak, where air is getting sucked into the engine
around the gaskets. Make sure the gaskets are all seating properly and the
screws are tightened correctly. "Real tight" isn't as important as tightening
evenly the several screws that hold a diaphragm or gasket.

Good luck,s
--
DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

tmt July 31st 07 08:37 PM

Briggs Stratton 4HP high idle speed

having dealt with gaskets in the past I was careful to tighten the
screws evenly and not over tighten. Im stumped.

dpb July 31st 07 08:38 PM

tmt wrote:
having dealt with gaskets in the past I was careful to tighten the
screws evenly and not over tighten. Im stumped.

Float level?

Throttle linkage?

Doug August 5th 07 08:21 AM

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 06:45:02 -0700, wrote:

I found the message I pasted below on this group a few days ago. I had
this exact same problem with the same motor (10A902) 4HP. after
reading all the replies I went and replaced the diaphragm. The mower
now has a steady idle but it is much much higher than it was before.
The mower also seems to run twice as loud as it used to. What do I do
to fix this problem.

Tim

As far as I know, no Briggs and Stratton 4HP made in the last decade
or so has a carb with an idle adjustment screw. They use that
el-cheapo and funky vacu-jet carb with the vibrating diaphragm that
acts a a fuel pump. There is neither an idle adjustment or speed
screw. These carbs also have no float or float level adjustment.
In effect, the fuel tank IS the carburetor bowl.

Did you replace the external throttle springs correctly? Those engines
run at a more or less fixed speed determined by the back spring
pressure on the governor linkage. Some mowers have a "throttle"
adjustment, either with a lever or a cable, that simply changes the
spring pressure.

Doug