Dave

Default Briggs & Stratton 14.5hp -- Odd Noises

Have a riding mower with a Briggs & Stratton OHV 14.5hp vertical shaft
motor which makes some rather disturbing "klunking" sounds during
startup and spindown. I'm wondering what the heck this might be. It
sounds fairly normal when running. Any ideas?

Joey

Is it electric start or pull rope ?

IF pull rope there are some ball bearings in the part just under the
pull rope and they engage the pull rope clutch to start the engine.
When the shaft starts spinning centrifical force pulls them outward
which disengages the clutch. You might be hearing these bearings as
they are being driven outward. IF electric start it's something else.

Dave wrote:
Have a riding mower with a Briggs & Stratton OHV 14.5hp vertical shaft
motor which makes some rather disturbing "klunking" sounds during
startup and spindown. I'm wondering what the heck this might be. It
sounds fairly normal when running. Any ideas?

m Ransley

Probably the motor is worn out, a bearing is giving out.

Duane Bozarth

m Ransley wrote:

Probably the motor is worn out, a bearing is giving out.

Or the rod is knocking and quiets down when gets some oil in it and is
covered up by the exhaust noise when it's running...