RC

Default Briggs and Stratton wiring question

I got a lawn tractor that was given to me. It has a 10 HP Briggs and
Stratton, probably a 1974 (by the model number).

I got the starter working now but there is no spark.

It has points and condensor under the flywheel and a magnet on the flywheel
working with a magneto/coil.

A friend of mine thinks that it should have either the points and condensor,
or the flywheel magnet, but not both. Is that correct?

Also, the wiring is all unplugged. There are 2 wires going from under the
flywheel. One seems to be a ground/shutoff. Where does the other connect to?
And where do the magneto wires connect to? Does anyone have a wiring diagram
for these old motors?

Thanks!

Stormin Mormonn

I'v enot worked on a ten HP, but it sounds pretty basic. Needs both the
points and condensor, AND the flywheel magnet.

The coil has two small wires. One goes to a screw, the mounting screw. One
of the two mounting screws which holds the coil to the motor.

The other SMALL coil wire goes to the screw terminal on the side of the
points.

Of course, you can guess wher the LARGE coil wire goes, don't have to tell
you that (goes up your friend's butt while you run he starter; serves him
right for bad advice).

Points should be .020 inches at the widest gap.

The other wire which goes to the points is the kill switch, or the ignition
swithc. When the motor is shut off, that grounds out the points.

The coil should be very close to but not touching the flywheel. I like to
gap it with a paper matches cover, or some cardboard ripped from a spark
plug box.
--

Christopher a. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RC" not wrote in message
I got a lawn tractor that was given to me. It has a 10 HP Briggs and
Stratton, probably a 1974 (by the model number).

I got the starter working now but there is no spark.

It has points and condensor under the flywheel and a magnet on the flywheel
working with a magneto/coil.

A friend of mine thinks that it should have either the points and condensor,
or the flywheel magnet, but not both. Is that correct?

Also, the wiring is all unplugged. There are 2 wires going from under the
flywheel. One seems to be a ground/shutoff. Where does the other connect to?
And where do the magneto wires connect to? Does anyone have a wiring diagram
for these old motors?

Thanks!

Stormin Mormonn

Sounds like a fairly simple gadget.

The points (screw or nut connection on the side) should have two wires. One
is the killswitch which grounds out the coil when you want to stop. The
second wire is a small wire which goes to the coil.

The other small wire for the coil oughta have a round lug on it. The other
small wire goes under one of the mounting screws that holds the coil on.

The points should open to .020 inches at the widest when you turn the crank
shaft.

The coil should be near the flywheel without touching it (I like to use a
piece of cardboard from a sparkplug box)./

Remit $47.50 for advice.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus