Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange fuse problem

I have a wall in my house that is obviously overloaded as the fuse is
known to blow (maybe once every 3 months of so).

I was cleaning my stove today with a steam-type cleaner and the fuse
seemed to blow on that wall. However, when I reset the fuse, nothing
came back on. I tried switching it out with another fuse that I knew
was good, and still no luck.

It is only the outlets on that fuse that aren't working. Any ideas as
to what could have gone wrong? I'm wondering if I somehow blew a fuse
on the stove itself and that is shutting down the circuit (it's on the
plug the further from the fuse box).

I know nothing about such things, so please be gentle Unless there
is an easy fix to try, I'll be calling in an electrician.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 3:23 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:12:47 -0700, Leslie K
wrote:

I have a wall in my house that is obviously overloaded as the fuse is
known to blow (maybe once every 3 months of so).

I was cleaning my stove today with a steam-type cleaner and the fuse
seemed to blow on that wall. However, when I reset the fuse, nothing
came back on. I tried switching it out with another fuse that I knew
was good, and still no luck.

It is only the outlets on that fuse that aren't working. Any ideas as
to what could have gone wrong? I'm wondering if I somehow blew a fuse
on the stove itself and that is shutting down the circuit (it's on the
plug the further from the fuse box).

I know nothing about such things, so please be gentle Unless there
is an easy fix to try, I'll be calling in an electrician.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Especially since you were using steam, I suspect that you may have a
GFCI outlet in that circuit and you tripped it. It needs to be reset.
This would be an outlet that would have two small buttons in the
center, with one being red and the other black or brown.

Thank you - I should have mentioned that the stove did have one of
those outlets (and as was noted in the next post, post buttons are
white) and I did try resetting it with no luck. I very much
appreciate the advice and I will try again, just in case.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I have a wall in my house that is obviously overloaded as the fuse is
known to blow (maybe once every 3 months of so).

I was cleaning my stove today with a steam-type cleaner and the fuse

Do you think you might have gotten a lot of water in an
outlet/receptacle?

seemed to blow on that wall. However, when I reset the fuse, nothing

Is this a screw-in glass and metal fuse? or something shaped like
such a fuse but with a button in it that you can press to reset?

came back on. I tried switching it out with another fuse that I knew
was good, and still no luck.

Any chance you blew the second fuse too? Do you have a volt-ohm
meter? You could unscrew the fuse and use it to see if the fuse is
good.

It is only the outlets on that fuse that aren't working. Any ideas as
to what could have gone wrong? I'm wondering if I somehow blew a fuse
on the stove itself and that is shutting down the circuit (it's on the
plug the further from the fuse box).

Electric stove or gas? If electric, it's not on the same circuit as
your outlets.

Anything else plugged into those outlets? One of them could be
causing a problem, or worst case, maybe there is a coincidental
problem in the wiring.

How long since the steam cleaning? Maybe things have dried out by
now.

I know nothing about such things, so please be gentle Unless there
is an easy fix to try, I'll be calling in an electrician.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I have a wall in my house that is obviously overloaded as the fuse is
known to blow (maybe once every 3 months of so).

I was cleaning my stove today with a steam-type cleaner and the fuse
seemed to blow on that wall. However, when I reset the fuse, nothing

Are you referring to resetting the outlet? The outlet is NOT a fuse.
If that's what it was, that's why my previous answer was probably off
track.

came back on. I tried switching it out with another fuse that I knew

But if you are referring to an outlet, what do you mean, switched out
with another fuse?

Do you have fuses or circuit breakers in your fuse-box/breaker-box?

was good, and still no luck.

It is only the outlets on that fuse that aren't working. Any ideas as
to what could have gone wrong? I'm wondering if I somehow blew a fuse
on the stove itself and that is shutting down the circuit (it's on the
plug the further from the fuse box).

I know nothing about such things, so please be gentle Unless there
is an easy fix to try, I'll be calling in an electrician.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 4:19 pm, mm wrote:

Do you think you might have gotten a lot of water in an
outlet/receptacle?

Definitely not in an outlet/receptacle, but there was steam going into
the stove (I was cleaning the knobs).

Is this a screw-in glass and metal fuse? or something shaped like
such a fuse but with a button in it that you can press to reset?

It's the one with the push button, but when the push button didn't
reset, I used a screw in glass and metal. Neither one has worked. I
then tried another push button that didn't work - but does work when I
put it in another spot on the fusebox (Sorry - I don't know the name
for the place where you screw the fuse in).

Any chance you blew the second fuse too? Do you have a volt-ohm
meter? You could unscrew the fuse and use it to see if the fuse is
good.

I do have a volt meter, but since it worked in another spot, I know I
didn't blow it.

Electric stove or gas? If electric, it's not on the same circuit as
your outlets.

It is gas.

Anything else plugged into those outlets? One of them could be
causing a problem, or worst case, maybe there is a coincidental
problem in the wiring.

I'll unplug everything and try again - it's worth a shot!

How long since the steam cleaning? Maybe things have dried out by
now.

Again worth a shot - thanks for the suggestions!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 4:25 pm, mm wrote:
Are you referring to resetting the outlet? The outlet is NOT a fuse.
If that's what it was, that's why my previous answer was probably off
track.

I've done both. First tried the fuse, then pulled out the stove and
reset the outlet when the fuse didn't work.

Do you have fuses or circuit breakers in your fuse-box/breaker-box?

Fuses.

Thanks again!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I went back and reset the outlet again, and then reset the fuse again
- and I had success. I'm not sure why it worked this time, but thanks
for your suggestions - if you hadn't told me to go try again, I
probably would have just given it up as a bad job.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help - they are very much
appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:50:06 -0700, Leslie K
wrote:

I went back and reset the outlet again, and then reset the fuse again
- and I had success. I'm not sure why it worked this time, but thanks

A lot of times something works the next time, even though one can find
no reason. It's almost like God is doing supernatural things, but I
doubt he spends his time that way.

for your suggestions - if you hadn't told me to go try again, I
probably would have just given it up as a bad job.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help - they are very much
appreciated.

You're welcome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:49:25 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

On 07/23/07 03:23 pm wrote:

[...]

I've seen GFCI outlets with black and red buttons, but both buttons on
our recently purchased Cooper GFCI outlets are the same color as the
body of the device, whether black, gray, ivory or white.

Perce

I do have some GFCIs with black and red buttons. They are all older
ones. The new ones all have them the same color (and also a little
light that comes on when it trips).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Leslie K" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a wall in my house that is obviously overloaded as the fuse is
known to blow (maybe once every 3 months of so).

I was cleaning my stove today with a steam-type cleaner and the fuse
seemed to blow on that wall. However, when I reset the fuse, nothing
came back on. I tried switching it out with another fuse that I knew
was good, and still no luck.

It is only the outlets on that fuse that aren't working. Any ideas as
to what could have gone wrong? I'm wondering if I somehow blew a fuse
on the stove itself and that is shutting down the circuit (it's on the
plug the further from the fuse box).

I know nothing about such things, so please be gentle Unless there
is an easy fix to try, I'll be calling in an electrician.

I would suggest that you make the call...

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Leslie K" wrote in message
ps.com...
I went back and reset the outlet again, and then reset the fuse again
- and I had success. I'm not sure why it worked this time, but thanks
for your suggestions - if you hadn't told me to go try again, I
probably would have just given it up as a bad job.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help - they are very much
appreciated.

Since you didn't locate the original problem, you still need to call in an
electrician.

Troubling fuse problem dgk Home Repair 26 January 5th 07 08:14 PM
overheating fuse problem Fuse box problem Electronics Repair 0 August 16th 06 10:07 AM
Strange RF problem raden UK diy 7 June 27th 06 06:37 PM
Strange A/C Problem?? Les Home Repair 9 June 8th 06 02:39 AM
Strange problem KTECH Home Repair 5 August 5th 05 02:29 PM