Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default overheating fuse problem

It sounds like the problem is the fuse box. You need two 100 amp
fuses because you have 220v. if you had one fuse you would have 120v.
look at the fuse contacts, you will see they are discolored. You will
have to replace. them

On Sat, 04 Jan 2003 03:20:21 GMT, Patrick M
wrote:

Not too much off-topic, I hope...

Here's my problem. I have a quadruplex. For each of the three
appartments we don't occupy, we have metal box containing a switch and
two 100A/250V fuses. The output of this box goes to the breaker box
located within the appartment.

The tenant came to me and complained about a problem. The most
consuming elements weren't working (washing machine, dryer, microwave
oven, etc...).. the lights were on, but not at their full
capacity. After some research, I found out that one of the two above
mentioned fuses of his appartment was dead. It looked like it
had overheated. I therefore bought a new one and replaced it. An hour
or two after, I went back to look at it and it was heating, much more
than the fuses for the other appartments.

To find out if the problem was in my metal box or in my tenant's
electrical circuits, I went over and shut down every single breaker he
had (don't worry, he's gone for the weekend! ;-). My metal box was
back at normal temperature (cold) after a few hours.

My questions:

1- Why two 100A fuses in parallel instead of one 200A?

2- What could be the problem? I would doubt it to be related to my
tenant's electrical consumption, since his breaker would pop before my
fuses would break, right? It's been this way since our 4plex was built
20 years ago and weve never had this kind of problem.

Many thanks,

Patrick M.