KTECH

Default Strange problem

Thought some of you might add to this/
Came home from work 5:30 PM Monday,no power.
Found 100 amp breaker tripped re-set all OK
Same thing Tues.
Same thing Wed. after checking lines etc and again taking whole house
amps (Max38w/ air on and fridge on.
On way back up I was resetting clocks when I noticed they all stopped at the
same time.After checking my setback thermostat sure as hell main tripped at
program change.Went to held temp. problem solved. Still a little miffed that
30 amp air breaker held and 100 amp opened.
Frank

Pop

"KTECH" wrote in message
Thought some of you might add to this/
Came home from work 5:30 PM Monday,no power.
Found 100 amp breaker tripped re-set all OK
Same thing Tues.
Same thing Wed. after checking lines etc and
again taking whole house amps (Max38w/ air on and
fridge on.
On way back up I was resetting clocks when I noticed
they all stopped at the same time.After checking my
setback thermostat sure as hell main tripped at
program change.Went to held temp. problem solved.
Still a little miffed that 30 amp air breaker held
and 100 amp opened.
Frank

Apparently you found the source of the problem if I
read it right?

It's possible the reason the 30A didn't open but the
100A did was, because the 30A is a time-delay breaker?
The 100A, not being time delay, could open before the
30A in that case. In which case, it did its job.
OR
Is it possible the 30A breaker was welded closed by the
short? Very, very unusual, but possible. If so, you
wouldn't be able to turn the breaker off and then back
on or if you were able to, it may not turn back on.

So if the 30A isn't a time-delayed breaker, I think I'd
check to be sure it's operational. It may not be able
to open.

Probably worth looking around where the short occurred
and at the panel to be sure no insulation melted, etc..
Any odors around that are new?

Just a couple thoughts; lots of possibilities, but
those come to mind first.

HTH,

Pop

KTECH

30 amp breaker is OK Problem (Ithink) was a locked comp. due to thrmostat
failure. I don't get vibe as to a short.
Thanks for your input
Franl
"Pop" wrote in message

"KTECH" wrote in message
[...]

Greg O

"KTECH" wrote in message
Thought some of you might add to this/
Came home from work 5:30 PM Monday,no power.
Found 100 amp breaker tripped re-set all OK
Same thing Tues.
Same thing Wed. after checking lines etc and again taking whole house
amps (Max38w/ air on and fridge on.
On way back up I was resetting clocks when I noticed they all stopped at
the same time.After checking my setback thermostat sure as hell main
tripped at program change.Went to held temp. problem solved. Still a
little miffed that 30 amp air breaker held and 100 amp opened.
Frank

It will happen. I assume the 30 amp was for your AC condensing unit?

At a office building we had a 1000 amp, (yes one thousand!), main breaker
trip instead of a 40 amp for a AC unit. The compressor was shorted to
ground. The 40 was a time delay breaker of some sort, and the main was not.
Both breakers saw the short to ground, but the main was designed to trip
faster, so it did.
Greg

Marty

You should have an electrician come over and check the integrity of the
breaker connections to the 'buss'
If the 30 amp is loose it could cause heat to travel up the buss bar and
trip the 100 amp.

Been there

Marty

"Greg O" wrote in message

"KTECH" wrote in message
[...]

Art Todesco

I would guess that your setback
thermostat somehow turned off the running
AC compressor and immediately turned it
back on at the time you indicated.
Depending on the AC condensing unit,
there may not be electronics